Profile for squashedmango > Reviews

Content by squashedmango

"squashedmango"

Noughts & Crosses: Book 1 (Noughts And Crosses)
Noughts & Crosses: Book 1 (Noughts And Crosses)
by Malorie Blackman

5.0 out of 5 stars An insightful and poignant book, 29 Dec. 2003
I saw that "Noughts and Crosses" by Malorie Blackman featured in The BBC's "100 greatest books" and thought it sounded like a good read. I bought this book and started reading with an open mind. Immediatly I was captured in the lives of Callum and Sephy and all the other noughts and crosses that live in a world that is eerily similar to our own.
The book starts off lightly and then slowly opens your eyes to the horror and sadness of the black-white divide, one which I was less aware of until reading this stunner of a book. The end of the book is shockingly unreassuring when the callum and Sephy are seperated never to see each other again, although this almost had me in tears, it is one of the best endings to a book i have ever come across.
I would thoroughly recommend "Noughts and Crosses" by Malorie Blackman to anyone who has a passion for books, like myself and is looking for a little bit to think about and reflect on.

Child X
Child X
by Lee Weatherly

3.0 out of 5 stars The power of the letter "X", 10 Nov. 2003
This review is from: Child X (Paperback)
A friend recommended this book to me. In this book, the main character, Jules, discovers a horrible secret about her family, that will change her and the people around her's lifes dramatically. I liked the way that there was also quite a bit about Jules starring in "The Northern Lights" the play, as the main story-line dragged a bit in places. The book feels as if it could be real, which I think is an important element in this type of book. I thought the plot was good, but a little too predictable. I would recommend this book to people aged 13 and up who enjoy a thought-provoking story-line.

Storm Catchers
Storm Catchers
by Tim Bowler

4.0 out of 5 stars Storm Catchers Captures Imagination, 8 Nov. 2003
This review is from: Storm Catchers (Paperback)
I bought this book a while ago and it went on my pile of books that i intended on reading but never seemed to get round to. When I went on holiday the other week, I took 2 books, this and another one, only really thinking i'd read the other one. I finished the first within the first day or so. I reluctantly picked up "Storm Catchers" and read the first page or two. I was imediately captured in the lives of Ella, Fin, Sammy and all the other intriging characters that made this book a great read. With a twist of magic thrown into the very realistic storyline, this book entertained me through out. I would recommend this book to children over 13 who enjoy a good bit of action. Don't read this book when you're on your own at home and there is a storm brewing.....

I Have Lived a Thousand Years
I Have Lived a Thousand Years
by Livia Bitton-Jackson

5.0 out of 5 stars Horrified by what went on., 17 Oct. 2003
A friend recommended this book to me. I had always been horrified (yet fascinated) by what went on in the Concentration camps during the holocaust and decided i wanted to learn more. I started to read this book and found myself completely captured in it and the harrowing memoirs of Elli. Being a similar age to Elli was, i could understand some of thoughts she was having about certain issues, i now feel incredibly lucky to be living in the modern world and not the world Elli faced. I admire the author Livia (Elli) Bitton-Jackson to have such horrible memories and rather than bottle them up like many would have, share them with the world and educate people to make sure nothing like this will ever happen again. This book gives out a very strong messge: Never give up.

The Giggler Treatment
The Giggler Treatment
by Roddy Doyle

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read!, 17 Oct. 2003
This review is from: The Giggler Treatment (Paperback)
I bought this book along with a few others to read on holiday, i started it when i arrived at the airport and was almost finished when i had boarded the plane! When i had ordered it from a magazine, i had not realised it was for 7 and 8 year olds, it wasn't until i had recieved the book that i noticed it was quite thin and had large print. I completely surprised myself when i realised how hard i was laughing about the jokes (most of them being about poo)and enjoying the storyline. I also found the way the chapters had silly names was extreley quircky and enjoyable. A fantastic read for adults and children alike! Throughly recommened!

Give Me Five (The Princess Diaries: 1)
Give Me Five (The Princess Diaries: 1)
by Meg Cabot

4.0 out of 5 stars Meg Cabot should be rakin' in the loot!, 15 Oct. 2003
Mia Thermopolis has just reached her 15th birthday, a tough time in any girls life, but very much more so for Mia, not just because her mother is pregnant with her algebra teacher's (Mia's, not her mum's!) baby, or the fact that the prom is fast approaching, no, what takes the biscuit is that Mia is the heir to the throne of a small country! What with making out in closets and getting to "second base", Meg Cabot really does cover everything that's on a 15 year olds mind! A great, comfortable read.