Profile for Sioux > Reviews

Tala Performance Bakeware 12cm dia Springform Cake tin
Offered by JD-MAC Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 9 Jan. 2016
slightly damaged around rim

Women Who Run With The Wolves: Contacting the Power of the Wild Woman (Classic Edition)
by Clarissa Pinkola Estes

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 Nov. 2014
Bought this book for a present. Very interesting book that you can always dip into at any time.

The Water Table
The Water Table
by Philip Gross

5.0 out of 5 stars The Water Table, 26 Oct. 2010
This review is from: The Water Table (Paperback)
THE WATER TABLE by Philip Gross

Loved the language and fluidity of `Poetic Form' used in `The Water Table'.
Philip Gross succeeds in:-
* Reflecting the moods and beauty of `The Seven Estuary'.
* Whilst simultaneously exploring `the journey through time of humanity'. including concerns for our future and that of planet earth.
* He invites the reader into inner reflections (of mind, body and spirit); therefore allowing opportunity to bridge that gap from Poetry and into deeper meditation.
I would recommend this book to anyone who is searching for an interesting and reflective read

The Ode Less Travelled: Unlocking the Poet Within
The Ode Less Travelled: Unlocking the Poet Within
by Stephen Fry

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ode less travelled, 15 Sept. 2010
The Ode less travelled
unlocking the Poet within?

A qualified yes. However firstly I consider Stephen Fry's book to be a succinct and evolutionary guide, to the varied range of poetry styles available for reading within our English Language.
For anyone aspiring to write poetry the reading of other people's poetic efforts (at whatever level) plays an important part in this process.
Do I write poetry? Yes often on an intuitive sub-conscious level, with my `musings' often finalising, into the completed product at 3am in the morning!
Do I write free poetry? An evaluated yes (but who isn't influenced by the writing of other people.)
I was inspired by `The Ode less travelled' and for me it will no doubt become an invaluable source of reference for the future.
I would rightly recommend this book to anyone wishing to extend their horizons in either their reading or writing of poetry.

Sue Weston

I Swallow Turquoise for Courage (Sun Tracks: An American Indian Literary (Paperback))
by Hershman R. John

5.0 out of 5 stars I Swallow Turquoise For courage, 18 Sept. 2009
This Anthology I am really enjoying reading it over a number of weeks. I am interested in Native American Indian Culture and enjoy writing poetry. This book was what I've been looking for in that the poems are written with a spiritual prepective and the language used I'm finding to be fresh and invigorating. The poetry I write often also has a spiritual content. I looked up Navajo Poetry on the net and came up with this anthology by John Hershman. I am also interested in the mythology/spirituality embedded in his poems. When visiting Brighton I found a book Spider Woman's Web by Susan Hazen-Hammond; this book of short stories also covers Native American Indian mythology/spirituality and compliments John Hershman's anthology nicely. I am enjoying reading both books in tandem.