Profile for M. G. Chisholm > Reviews

Content by M. G. Chisholm
Top Reviewer Ranking: 162

M. G. Chisholm "chiefengineer3" (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Taylors of Harrogate Espresso Coffee Capsules Nespresso Compatible Brazilian Yellow Bourbon (Pack of 6, Total 60 Capsules)

3.0 out of 5 stars Average Coffee Pod Taste., 6 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Taylor Brazil Yellow Bourbon espresso is a fine coffee smooth and mellow - but it's not as good as the Nespresso brand. And that's a bit of a surprise in some ways. Firstly, one would expect Taylors to produce a much more premium product than the supposed big bad Nestle international mega company and secondly and more importantly Brazilian Yellow Bourbon is apparently a seriously premium coffee bean. And I'll have to fess up here and say that I had to Google that. However, all the information suggests that Yellow Bourbon is the mutt's nuts and I was rather expecting something beyond comparison from a coffee pod.

And I don't think I'm alone in this either. I noted other reviewers being underwhelmed as well and last week in Sainsbury's I spotted this pack on sale with a third off the price, so clearly not flying off the shelves.

To be fair to Taylors, the standard is consistent over a number of cups so that does sort of prove their QA/QC is up to scratch. Not so the pod which can slip through the chamber on my machine. Hmmm.

Like most things in life it's about personal taste and whilst this coffee is pleasant and consistent, it certainly does not come across as the premium bean that it apparently is. Decent enough but it should knock the socks off the standard Nesspresso pods - and it doesn't.

pürminerals Disappearing Ink Concealer 4-in-1 Concealer Pen, Light 3.5 ml
pürminerals Disappearing Ink Concealer 4-in-1 Concealer Pen, Light 3.5 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Concealer, 6 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Of course I had this to review via Vine and whilst I wouldn't be choosing ladies cosmetics - no matter how rough I look in the morning - I do have three daughters and a wife so whenever something like this crops up I get it for them to check out. Here is the review from my eldest.

This concealer is really simple to use, the clicking system allows you to use a precise amount and not waste any. It is highly pigmented and covered well. It is quite yellow but I think this works well to brighten dull areas and cover redness of spots. Due to being highly pigmented I think this product is better suited for covering blemishes rather than large areas such as under the eyes or for contouring purposes.

It provides good coverage and blends reasonably well. I have quite oily skin and it lasts at least 8 hours before any signs of sliding. I would recommend this concealer to a friend.

BABYBJÖRN Baby Carrier WE
BABYBJÖRN Baby Carrier WE

4.0 out of 5 stars Generally Good - But Compromised., 6 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well, this review is a bit of an amalgam of people as myself (granddad, my wife - nana, and my daughter - owner of twinies) got together and gave this a bit of a test run on both the near year old babies - one boy, one girl. My daughter is a bit of an expert on these having researched them to death as she had a double hit.

This carrier is simple to use but best suited to smaller babies I feel. As an avid baby-wearer and owner of several soft-structured full-buckle carriers, I have come to the conclusion there are better brands for larger babies such as Tula and Ergo.

This carrier would be comfortable for light babies but it becomes a little uncomfortable for heavier 20lb plus babies after a while. The carrier follows the safety guidelines, the seat is wide enough to support knee-to-knee and baby's head can be close enough to kiss. However, the carrier has a high rise to support the height of older children and so a newborn may get lost. There is a section which you can zip to make a tiny baby sit about 2-3 inches higher, so their head is nearer the top of the carrier.

I attempted a back carry with my one year old and this requires practise! Especially if you are loading baby in solo. There are YouTube videos that show the best way to get baby onto your back safely.

Overall, I would say this is a good carrier for babies between 2-6 months. There are better carriers for newborns such as stretchy wraps, and better carriers for older children in this category such as those I mentioned previously. It is far from a bad carrier, it does exactly what it says on the tin, but having tried several other brands, I don't think it is the best available for the price.

So there you go. In the words of my daughter and to be honest the same as what my wife and I felt as well. What I would add is that this is a good carrier and certainly well made and high quality, but it is a bit of a compromise all round. However, you would get used to that and like most things using it would become easier. It does of course allow three options for use and this of course adds to the overall usefulness, it also contributes to the compromise. If you want a multi-use carrier and can live with the small niggles then this would be fine.

BT 1000Mbps Broadband Extender Flex Kit - Twin pack
BT 1000Mbps Broadband Extender Flex Kit - Twin pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy - Really Easy, 29 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The best compliment anyone could make about a bit of electronic kit is that you fit and forget it. With networks and computers that seems to be a tall order to say the least. However, I'm glad to report that BT (or whoever actually makes this) has done a sterling job. I simply plugged one unit into a convenient socket close to my network switching unit, plugged the ethernet cable into LAN 1 and repeated the process at the other end of my house, connecting a laptop.

It connected immediately - no fuss, no drama, no passwords and IP addresses needed.

Speed is extremely fast and I can surf at the full speed of my BT Infinity connection.

Looks. Well as always this is subjective but these plug in extenders are well made and feel it. They are not the smallest devices known to man but they look discrete enough in a high tech sort of way. The blue LED indicating connection would probably get on your nerves if it was under a TV in line of sight, but anywhere else would be fine.

Overall a very quick and easy way to extend your network across your house with more reliability and speed than WiFi. Overall if this is something you want then this pack from BT can't be beaten for performance and ease of use.

8in Gents Saw
8in Gents Saw
Offered by TOOLMAN

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent British Saw, 27 Jun. 2015
This review is from: 8in Gents Saw (Misc.)
I'm a marine engineer and as such I have used and abused just about every hand tool that has ever existed. I also renovate houses on my leaves and have an all abiding passion for wood work. I know tools.

And this is a good one.

It is of course fundamentally a simple device. A thin steel blade, solid heavy brass back and a wooden handle. Simple stuff. However, when I pick it up I know that it has been made with quality in mind. I appreciate that it is not a Lie-Nielson but it is nevertheless a high quality item. I have of course over the years bought cheap tools as we all do, and generally they have been fine. However, as age, experience and money allow I have upgraded certain items simply to enhance my enjoyment when doing tasks in my workshop. Handsaws (and planes) are a vital extension of you as a person when creating something from raw wood. As such I have found that better tools help me do a better job. This may be partially psychological or really because the tool does help. Probably both.

So here I have a British made gents saw that I have used on both oak (American white) and American cherry. The various cuts have been smooth, with a very thin line. The weight of the saw is just right to allow a smooth action and it feels very comfortable to hand.

To be honest, this saw is superb value for money given it's provenance and how well it works and feels to hand. Highly recommended upgrade if you have a cheap saw that you want to move on from.

Braun Series 9 9095CC Wet/Dry Electric Shaver with Clean and Renew Charger
Braun Series 9 9095CC Wet/Dry Electric Shaver with Clean and Renew Charger

5.0 out of 5 stars Very High Quality Product, 23 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly no matter what, a wet shave, even with a cheapo disposable razor leaves you feeling cleaner, smoother and better than an electric one - even this high end one from Braun. As far as I'm concerned the best shave you can get is with a traditional single bladed 'safety' razor. I have a quick and heavy beard growth so I need something good to deal with it or I end up looking like a unkempt old bloke pretty quickly.

But - it takes a bit of care and time to avoid looking like a victim of a knife attack if you do go down the old school safety razor route. Next best thing is the modern multi-bladed wet razors that cost a bomb in disposable blades. They are pretty much bullet proof though. No pain, no blood and ultra good finish.

And then the electric razor. I can't deny that getting this to review via Vine is a bit of a bonus for me and one that I've put to some use since getting it and in all fairness it's good. I do have a cheap electric razor which I leave in my bag I take to work and the gym and without a doubt this Braun razor is much, much better than my £50 one. Firstly it looks good - a bit retro and clearly premium. It feels high quality in one's hand and has just the right amount of weight to go some way to justifying the price. Build quality is top class and probably as good as it gets in electric razor terms with a sleek finish, cool display and tactile buttons.

Now, as I said I prefer a wet shave and I do have a heavy stubble so I figure I'm a pretty good test for an electric jobbie. The reason I do have one and now this is for when I don't have the time or space for a proper shave. Usually after a gym session I'll just have a quick once over to keep things in check and the electric razor is perfect for that. This Braun does an admirable job of giving me a smooth face. Certainly my wife appreciates the continued clean shaven look rather than the three day Willie Nelson vision that I end up looking like if I don't make the effort. It cuts cleanly and I don't have to go over the same area too many times to ensure a decent finish. It also seems to allow a close shave in less accessible areas such as under my nose. There's a trimmer bit for the sideburns as well which also works well. Overall I doubt there is any other electric shaver that could do any better.

Cleaning is easy as the head comes off for washing through and brushing out.

There is also the integrated charging and cleaning base that sterilizes the shaver when needed. You fit a disposable reservoir in the base of the unit and it flushes through the head. Adds to the premium feel. Not sure if you would be able to take it on a plane though if you are travelling as it clearly states that it is flammable.

Charging takes about 50 minutes using either 220v or 110v.

Overall for me personally this is a great quick helper in between wet shaving.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Interested in Electronic Controls then this is Perfect, 19 Jun. 2015
Just about the best way I can think of to gain electronic and programming knowledge. This is a comprehensive kit with all the small items you need to complete a number of projects outlined in the enclosed book. Each project takes you by the hand through the steps to make up an interactive electronic machine including the programming that is done in the Arduino environment with a reasonable description as to the why's and wherefores.

Of course it won't do the work for you and you need to want to learn. It's not massively difficult and this does start from no knowledge at all to hopefully a reasonable standard. However, I'd still buy a couple more books on the subject to get a much more comprehensive knowledge.

To be honest I really have enjoyed working through the examples of in this kit. I am an engineer - electro-mechanical, but from an era that just missed out on the start of the electronic control revolution. I use it daily but don't fundamentally understand it and that has bugged me a bit. With Arduino I have - combined with a general knowledge of engineering control systems admittedly - learned quite a bit already, and that to a curious mind is important.

If you are reading this then chances are you are already interested in the subject and if so then this is a great place to start. You could of course also dive into Raspberry Pi but it is a different thing to some degree. In actual fact you should learn with both as the Arduino system is essentially used for standalone controls with feedback and the Raspberry is a computer that interacts with the world.

A few things you will need to go with this. A multi-meter, needle nose pliers, stand mounted magnifying glass unless you are 3 and have more than perfect eyes, some small screwdrivers and glue. Basic stuff, really.

Overall a brilliant way to learn.

Crocs Walu, Men's Loafers, Light Grey/White, 8 UK
Crocs Walu, Men's Loafers, Light Grey/White, 8 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Comfort and Great Looks, 17 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Crocs Walu, Men's Loafers (Shoes)
Lets be absolutely honest here, Crocs can look a bit tragic and especially so when worn outside of the confines of your garage or house. However they are supremely comfortable so there's the Wal-Mart/ASDA look instantly - comfort beats looks.

But - rather than risk the wrath of SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED, I avoid the Croc look and forgo the pleasantness that my feet enjoy at home when out and about.

Crocs have sorted out that problem though. They have created a range of footwear that looks normal and is fine to wear casually when bimbling around the shops with the Boss. And I reckon these are they best they do.

Looks of course are subjective but these are clean and modern looking and in no way mindful of the more athletically challenged Crocs that were the originals.

Comfort is of course a given and these are superb.

A nice touch is that they are fitted with a removable insert that can be washed. This insert is not entirely plastic either as there is a small section which is material for comfort and sweat absorption.

Overall great shoes for the money.

Elementary, Season 2
Elementary, Season 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - Even Better Than Previous Season, 16 Jun. 2015
Thoroughly enjoyed this series which has turned into a genuinely great program. The first series was good but this has built on that and I ploughed through this one with even more vigour.

Both Johnny Lee Miller and Lucy Lui have really bedded into their roles well and they have a natural way together that is entirely believable.

There is a mix of episodes with some that are stand alone and some that run to a couple of shows. Keeps the interest up all the way through. Stories are also mixed with some stand alones and some that have a longer running thread through them. These are the ones with Mycroft (Rhys Ifans) and Inspector Lestrade (Sean Pertwee) which also seem to be closer to the originals than the rest.

Whilst set in the the US, in this season we do get quite a bit of the UK chucked in with numerous British characters and visits to London. All helps the overall feel of quality and depth.

Miller as Holmes is particularly good, displaying more quirkiness than the previous season. He also comes across as being much colder at times and also more vulnerable - both very much in character with Conan Doyle's original.

The stories themselves are interesting and clearly a great deal of effort and skill has been put into them to make this a quality show.

Overall, highly recommended.

Built in the Sixties T Shirt. All Sizes. 100% Cotton (Large, Black)
Built in the Sixties T Shirt. All Sizes. 100% Cotton (Large, Black)
Offered by HOTFUEL

4.0 out of 5 stars Get A Size Bigger, 16 Jun. 2015
Love the logo and the quality of the shirt is great. However - and perhaps I should know by now - it is a little bit small. Not too much but enough to be ever slightly irritating.

Now I'm 5'9" and whilst middle aged not packing a wok under my jumper so a L size should be a comfortable fit. In reality I should have gone to the XL size.

So, if you do decide to make an age statement with your Tee shirt, buy one size bigger than you think you will need.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20