Profile for M. G. Chisholm > Reviews

Content by M. G. Chisholm
Top Reviewer Ranking: 167

M. G. Chisholm "chiefengineer3" (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The November Man
The November Man
Dvd

4.0 out of 5 stars Slick Thriller, 24 May 2015
I note that there are some who didn't rate this highly but I'm slightly bemused by that. This is a superior thriller with plenty of action and Olga Kurylenko who has the looks and the legs to stop a train dead. The sight of her in a short dress is enough to justify the cost alone.

Why not five stars? Pierce Brosnan. He is a great actor but this role demanded an actor who looked a bit more gravelly. Pierce Brosnan looks too debonair and smooth even in his 60's. And no matter what, he was in Mamma Mia thus removing any chance of playing the tough guy roles ever again.

This film is well acted, has a good story and the production is slick. It does not rely on CGI or outlandish fighting (much) and is in many ways a more old school style spy-action thriller in the mode of Alistair McLean books. Chances are that if you are in your 40's or older this will be a film that will really appeal.

Where Eagles Dare
Where Eagles Dare

4.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic Military Thriller, 19 May 2015
This review is from: Where Eagles Dare (Kindle Edition)
Classic Alistair MacLean stuff and a bit of a nostalgia trip if I'm honest. When I was younger MacLean was the man to go to for thrillers and he certainly was good at writing them.

Now, this is one of his best ones - but actually not quite as good as the film which is an utter classic. What I do note with the passing of years and a more jaded eye is that MacLean either does not do much in the way of research or does not let material facts get in the way of a good story. Given that today most authors who write in this genre - the better ones that is - do a fair bit of checking to make sure that facts are correct, reading a book where they don't seem important is slightly jarring.

Overall though a great military romp that's fast paced well written.

A Savage War Of Peace (Ark Royal Book 5)
A Savage War Of Peace (Ark Royal Book 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Continuation in the Series, 16 May 2015
Nuttall has demonstrated growing maturity in his writing and plot lines with this, his latest book in the Ark Royal series being the most mature. It is however not the most action packed and that may turn some off but for me, the way he has intertwined modern religious tension and political standpoints in this story has real attraction.

Essentially this is the continuation of the previous book where Britain's claim on Versys is being challenged by upcoming Earth nations both politically and militarily. It works very well and the tension grows through the book obviously leading you into the next which I suspect is where the action will lie.

I personally thoroughly enjoyed this book and will immediately buy the next in the series when it comes out.

Wagobox Junction Box Pack of 10
Wagobox Junction Box Pack of 10

4.0 out of 5 stars High Quality - Needs to be Used in Conjunction with Wago Connectors., 15 May 2015
This review is from: Wagobox Junction Box Pack of 10
Firstly lets be clear about this box - it is designed for Wago connectors and flat cable and nothing else. If you are doing this kind of cable then these are great junction boxes that are properly good quality. Solid ABS plastic very robustly made. These puppies are not going to break easily.

They are surprisingly small and the cables have to come in the same end unlike a more standard square junction box with multiple entries.

I have dropped a star simply because the system including the Wago connectors is reasonably expensive and lacks some flexibility. However if you have flat cable and need an effective quick and well made connection then these are a perfect item for the job.

GILDA Aha Lotion
GILDA Aha Lotion

3.0 out of 5 stars Wife's Honest Opinion, 15 May 2015
This review is from: GILDA Aha Lotion (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Clearly this isn't a product aimed at grey haired middle aged men - at least not the type I normally drink with - so here is the review from my missus who would be the perfect target audience.

The product was not packaged well (unusual for Amazon) and so the box was crushed on arrival. Okay this doesn't affect the it's use, but if it was a gift it would have been disappointing as it looks like it came off a market stall.

The product isn't the same as the picture where the lotion appears to be a honey colour, it is in fact clear. There is minimal fragrance and as it's a spray application I do feel my hair and the surrounding 'air' got an equal coverage, a bit wasteful in my opinion as an application method.

It initially felt quite cooling when applied to my face, but afterwards it just felt very tacky. I'm not convinced of any ex-foliating properties as it's a smooth liquid, but it did leave my face feeling hydrated. As other reviewers have commented, I'm not sure the extra step in a daily moisturising routine is worth the effort, or the price.

Playing Rugby T Shirt, Mens, Red, 2X-Large
Playing Rugby T Shirt, Mens, Red, 2X-Large
Offered by shotdeadinthehead

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Fun for the Rugby Fan, 15 May 2015
Not going to win awards for the highest quality item in the world, but it is fun and fits well. My son that is, because he's the big bloke playing rugby in our house.

Safety shoes Lotto Works FLEX 800 MID S3 Blue (8)
Safety shoes Lotto Works FLEX 800 MID S3 Blue (8)
Offered by Proteggi S.r.l.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits Well - Size 8, 15 May 2015
Now I'm a straight middle of the road size 8 (42 in Euro parlance) and I bought these not for work but for use at home when I'm in my workshop. I didn't want clumpy old rig boots or similar mainly for a change. So I bought these which are very good indeed.

Comfort levels are fine. The look of them online suggests sport shoe levels of comfort but actually they are still quite chunky and weighty. Better than the average rig boot for sure, though.

They look better with jeans than the average work boot in my opinion although you are not going to mistake them for what they are. Build quality is excellent and they meet all the relevant safety standards for industrial worksites. You might get a bit of a raised eyebrow or two if you work offshore because the HSE crowd tend to be a bit anal, but the will still pass muster.

Overall a good alternative to the traditional work boot for a reasonable price.

The Guards
The Guards
Dvd

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Average Crime Drama, 11 May 2015
Very average by the numbers police-PI type program. There simply isn't any meat on the bones as it were and the stories tend to meander without any great goal or focus. The main character comes across as being weak and ineffectual without much purpose and I personally found little to care about in him.

Overall this is a straight 2.5 start program and no more. Easy enough to watch if you want to while away an hour or so in the evening, but not much beyond that.

The Woodworker
The Woodworker

4.0 out of 5 stars Good App, Reasonable Magazine, 10 May 2015
This review is from: The Woodworker (App)
The app is simply a means to buy the magazine which I now subscribe for electronically. As an app it works flawlessly and allows me to read The Woodworker which is a magazine that falls between the brilliance of the American Fine Woodworking - the benchmark for woodworking - and some of the low end British magazines which are not much better than a leaflet from B&Q.

ZMA® Xtreme - ZMA® 2,430mg - Officially Licensed - Testosterone Booster & Muscle Growth (100 Vegetarian Capsules)
Offered by BuySupps

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, Seems to Work, 10 May 2015
Well, it's really hard to quantify if a supplement actually works or not in reality unless you are using the slightly more under the counter ones which I don't. ZMA has enough science behind it to suggest that it does have positive effects at boosting testosterone and of course that helps you if you are working out or are a sportsman who wants a legal, safe means of help.

At 47 I'm not going to break any records but I am pretty strong and work out most days. Empirically I can't tell if ZMA works apart from one thing. I don't always use it because I work away from home and do run out once in a while. What I notice - which may be psychological I accept - is that my libido is higher after a few days of retaking ZMA. And, to be honest as a middle aged bloke that alone is good enough reason for me......

However, libido up to a point is testosterone driven and one could suggest that this product must be giving me a bit of a lift, as it were.

Value is pretty good. In the end like most of these supplements they are essentially packaging a cheap product with a premium price. ZMA is simply zinc, magnesium and aspartame, all of which are available in other products not aimed at the body builder at a far lower price. This ZMA seems to be pretty reasonable value when compared to other more well known brands which charge double the price for the same stuff.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20