Profile for I'mARider > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
J.K. Rowling Harry Potter to the Casual Vacancy a JK Rowling Biography 2012
J.K. Rowling Harry Potter to the Casual Vacancy a JK Rowling Biography 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 26 Sept. 2012
Technically, it doesn't cost £3.17 to use Wikipedia… All this is is "She published this" and "She published that". There's no useful or practical info in here………

Apple iPod touch 32GB 5th Generation - White
Apple iPod touch 32GB 5th Generation - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Much like the iPhone 4/4S generation, just without the phone!, 25 Sept. 2012
I tried the "blue" model of this product at an Apple store in New York. Anyone that's already got the iPhone 5 will agree with me in saying that the new 4-inch screen is brilliant, however I think iOS 6.1 should deal with the...large lock screen gap. However, putting that aside, the new iPod is brilliant. I had my iPod touch 4G with me and I compared speed etc. It's SO much more faster (thoughI don't think it's hard to beat a 2-year-old heavily used iPod! :P)! I was a bit dissapointed with Siri as it only works over wi-fi, and some of the jokes had been removed. It's a bit pointless, but it works.

The newish iOS 6 has it flaws, but it works well. The maps app is a shambles, which sucks...

Battle Born
Battle Born
Offered by Great Price Media EU

4.0 out of 5 stars A new, not too bad, leaf, 20 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Battle Born (Audio CD)
It seems that everyone wanted the same Hot Fuss/Sam's Town approach and not the Day and Age approach from the Killer on this album. Well, to be honest, they got neither. There's a large range of songs on here; some are upbeat, some are quite mellow. There's a few classic-Killers-esque songs (Runaways), along with some Day-and-Age-ish songs too (Here on Out). It's a very good standalone album, but it's definitly not what people will expect from the Killers.

Gold, Babies and the Brothers Muldoon
Gold, Babies and the Brothers Muldoon

5.0 out of 5 stars Expect Landy's usual comic brilliance, 10 Sept. 2012
It's a Skulduggery Pleasant short story. Magic, goblins, madness and laughs. There, surely I need not to say anything else?! :P

The Lost Hero (Heroes of Olympus Book 1)
The Lost Hero (Heroes of Olympus Book 1)
by Rick Riordan

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, yet bland, 1 Sept. 2012
Riordan starts of this book bravely, diving straight into the relationships and back stories of our three main characters. The story then kicks off with a monster attack, and yes, Camp Half-Blood. From there, our heroes' quest begins.

Percy Jackson is assumed missing throughout the whole book, so of course we have some new heroes.

There's Jason Grace, a character that I found awfully bland and boring. Riordan was obviously aiming to give us a new Percy, but all we got was a stereotypical "Zac Efron-type", as my girlfriend described it. He's the perfect hero, he can fight, he's got charm, he looks good - but that's just BORING! We don't want that! Percy was unique, he was modest and charming in a respectable way, but Jason is just...ugh.

Our second hero is Piper McLean, who overall is a very nice girl. She's kind, caring, and the reader develops an emotional link with her as they read. Of course, she finds Jason incredible (*facepalm*).

Finally, there's my favourite hero EVER, Leo Valdez! He's funny, stupid at times, cheeky, witty, incredible. He's a lot like the Percy we see in the earlier books; a bit unaware of himself.

The actual story itself can be confusing, and it's very misguiding at times. It never flows; it seems like Riordan just couldn't link up all of his incredible ideas, which is a shame.

Well, if I were you, don't read this book expecting something like The Last Olympian. Just take it easy and build up to the Son of Neptune - THAT is a true Percy Jackson book!

The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus Book 3) (Heroes Of Olympus Series)
The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus Book 3) (Heroes Of Olympus Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking forward to the big renunion!, 27 Aug. 2012
The Mark of Athena is the third book in the Heroes of Olympus series, or in other words; Percy Jackson Series 2. It expands the all-familiar Percy Universe into something far far bigger; we are finally introduced to the prospect of not only the EXISTANCE of Roman gods (the Greek gods' alter egos), but also to the possibility that there may be a Roman equivalent of Camp Half-Blood.

The first book in this series, The Lost Hero, introduces us to three new heroes: Jason Grace - Son of Zeus/Jupiter, Leo Valdez - Son of Hephaestus and Piper McLean - Daughter of Aphrodite. They are tasked with rescuing Hera from the clutches of the rising Mother of Earth, Gaia. The only problem is that Jason can not remember anything about himself, or his past, and it just happens that as Jason appeared, Percy disappeared…

The Son of Neptune brings us the return of everyone's favourite demigod, Percy Jackson. As he is being chased by a pair of pscho gorgons, memory-less and invincable, not only does he stumble across Juno/Hera, but also Camp Jupiter. He begins a journey like no other; to bring down something that can only be his worst enemy yet.

The Mark of Athena promises to be not only a thriller like no other, but also an emotional rollercoaster…
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 2, 2012 8:39 PM BST

TimeRiders: City of Shadows (Book 6)
TimeRiders: City of Shadows (Book 6)
by Alex Scarrow

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly incredible, 6 Aug. 2012
All of the other reviews seem to be quite long, so I'm gonna try and keep this short and snappy!

In all the past books, the plot has been very similar ("Time's gone wrong - we gotta sort it out"). This book is the first to carry on directly from the last, and the plot is very, very clever.

We learn something that honestly changes EVERYTHING! We only meet the "City of Shadows" in the last 150-100 pages; before that, Scarrow completely goes against the standard plot and takes us on an adventure, like no other we've seen beforehand.

I personally loved this book, and it is BY FAR the best in the series! Read it, then read it again, and if you want, take in it all again by reading it AGAIN! :-P

Apocalypse Moon (The Joshua Files)
Apocalypse Moon (The Joshua Files)
by M. G. Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic!, 2 April 2012
This is a incredible ending to what has become an incredible series. This book answers nearly all of the questions, with a mind-blowing twist at the very end. Near the end of the book, reraders will probably be expecting an anti-climax, but they are WRONG!

The beggining is very quick, with Josh and Ixchel coming up with a plan that snowballs into something far, far bigger.

All I'm gonna say is that pretty much all of the major characters come back from previous books, along with a new addition to the Garcia family. And, if you think that the Arcadio mystery couldn't get anymore confusing, it will...

This is by far the best book in the series, and finishes so well that you almost won't be wanting more (I know it sounds weird!). MG Harris you are amazing, well done!

Mockingjay (part III of The Hunger Games Trilogy)
Mockingjay (part III of The Hunger Games Trilogy)
by Suzanne Collins

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing, 27 Mar. 2012
The ending is flawed terribly, and I think that Suzanne Collins should have changed from Katniss' first person story telling to third person. Due to Katniss' strong feelings and views, critical information did not come through. At the beggining, the scenes are often very repetitive and there is no charm or exitement as there was before. Overall, a very dissapointing conclusion to what should have been a good series.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PS3)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PS3)
Offered by Ace Goods Co. Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars People were expecting too much, 17 Feb. 2012
Look, this game was branded as a direct sequel to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Platinum (PS3)|MW2, and yes, that's what we got. From reading other reviews, it seems that some idiots were expecting a completely new storyline and characters!

As a STANDALONE game, MW3 outclasses MW2. As a SEQUEL, it doesn't fare too well. The trouble is, that the hardcore gamers pre-ordered the game and got the very first bare-copy, which was packed with bugs. Then they go saying "MW2 doesn't have any bugs!"; yes, it DOES not have any bugs, but 4 years ago when it was first released it DID have bugs. People have come on here raving about the bugs and the hackers and the glitches, however what does that actually have to do with how it compares to MW2?!

The campaign is short, which is a shame, however it provides fun and a huge range of experiences. The multiplayer, I think, beats MW2 in every way possible. I MW2 we got the same sort of map every time - an apocalyptic city or a scrapyard. In MW3 we're given stations, PARIS (!), cities, African camps, Roman ruins, a derelict farm, an oil refinery and a shipyard! We get a range, maps that differentiate each time.

When buying this, don't expect something like your patched-up copy of MW2 that's almost 5 years old, expect a fairly new game, with the occasional bug, and the occasional hacker. Expect a game that was aiming for something new, and boy did Infinity Ward manage that! Don't expect perfection, expect MW3.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3