Profile for Jojo Allen > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Ro Sham Bo
Ro Sham Bo

5.0 out of 5 stars Power pop with a pedigree!, 15 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Ro Sham Bo (Audio CD)
What a shame there was only one album recorded by this bunch!
This is power pop with a pedigree and purpose, much like Imperial Drag, Roger Manning and Andy Sturmer's post Jellyfish band effort, but I must say I like The Grays album more.
A lot of what you love (and miss) about Jellyfish is on this CD.
I find it ironic that Jason Faulkner reportedly left that band because he was having a hard time getting his songs on their albums, over the ones written by Roger Manning and Andy Sturmer.
It had to be a political issue because any of these Grays songs would have fit, even enhanced a Jellyfish record.
By the way, Jason Faulkner's solo albums are also worth having in your collection.

Nilsson: The Life of a Singer-Songwriter
Nilsson: The Life of a Singer-Songwriter
by Alyn Shipton

4.0 out of 5 stars Everybody should be talking about Harry!, 20 Feb. 2015
Interesting book, especially as there has never been all that much information out there about this great artist.
If you also buy the 5 star boxed set of all his albums (including three discs of demos, outtakes and unreleased material) and listen as you go you'll get a better picture of the ups and downs of the man's career.

Shadows In The Night
Shadows In The Night

4.0 out of 5 stars To be Frank..., 5 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Shadows In The Night (Audio CD)
I'm not sure how I feel about this album. I may never be certain.
As a matter of fact, I may feel differently about it depending on when and where I hear it.
You're either going to be glad that you own this CD or you're not.
There's no point in reviewing Dylan's motivation in recording this particular group of tunes or the imperfections in his voice, when they have been there to one degree or another since day one.
If we've learned anything about Dylan it's that we still may not have heard it all, even at this later stage of his career.
If I have any real critique it would be that the dynamic of the album doesn't vary from track to track and makes for kind of a samey listen after a few songs go by.
I guess you have to ask yourself whether you need this in your Dylan collection.
Did you buy the Xmas album a few years back?
Did you enjoy it and/or ever listen to it again?
Those answers will reveal more about you as a fan than it does Dylan as an artist.
He's going where he's going without looking back to see whose following him.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 21, 2015 11:57 AM GMT

Spilt Milk
Spilt Milk

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, but do we have the 'extras' already???, 27 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Spilt Milk (Audio CD)
Jellyfish are one of the most underrated bands in pop history and I love and own everything they recorded, in the studio, 'live', home demos.
Having gotten that and the insufficient 5 stars out of the way I would love to know if the bonus tracks on the two deluxe reissues are also on the hard to find (and afford) boxed set, Fanclub, which I am happy to say I grabbed while I could.
I'm almost hoping they aren't so I can enjoy two other whole discs of music I've never heard before, but there is a disc of Bellybutton demos and one for Spilt Milk as well in the box and a couple discs of 'live' recordings.
How much more can there be besides that?
I started a discussion on this subject but there has been no response.
I'm guessing no one will really know until someone buys the reissues and spreads the word.
Fingers crossed it's (at least mostly) unreleased material!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 19, 2015 7:00 PM GMT

Disney Frozen OLAF 6 Piece Dinner Set - Plate, Bowl, Tumbler, Knife, Fork and Spoon - Official merchandise
Offered by textiles-4-home

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVELY SET!!!, 18 Jan. 2015
This gift was a BIG WINNER!
The child to whom I gave it now wants his every meal with Olaf!!!

Frozen Disney Olaf Mug, Frozen Disney Olaf Mug 2
Frozen Disney Olaf Mug, Frozen Disney Olaf Mug 2
Offered by Collectiblegiftsonline

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVELY!, 18 Jan. 2015
The child I bought this item for absolutely loved it and now wants all his drinks in his Olaf cup!

Sod The Rules: Poems and That.
Sod The Rules: Poems and That.
by Danny Friar

1.0 out of 5 stars SOD THIS BOOK!!!, 18 Jan. 2015
Please understand that this comment is made solely on several bits I read in the LOOK INSIDE feature.
All I can say is Who is Danny Friar and how did he get this rubbish published?
The one star is for managing to even get this out.
Oh, and because I couldn't give it less.

The RCA Albums Collection
The RCA Albums Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars TRACKING A LIFE!!!, 15 Jan. 2015
I've been reading Harry's biography, Nilsson: Singer Songwriter, and listening to this wonderful boxed set as I go.
Yes, Nilsson was a flawed artist and, indeed, the quality of his recorded output could be wildly varied, but, taken as a whole, the story this boxed set tells is fascinating, funny, heartbreaking tale.
He was a great singer who lost his voice and an inventive songwriter who lost his muse, but there was no one else like him and it's pretty certain, given the state of the music business, that his like will not come again.
For that reason I say this boxed set is a MUST, especially when supported by the book.

Rattlebag
Rattlebag

5.0 out of 5 stars More wonderful stuff from this fella!, 5 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Rattlebag (Audio CD)
I've only just received this CD this morning after waiting for quite a while for it's release.
I've listened to it once through.
My biggest problem (and, believe me, it's no real problem at all!) is that I love this artist's first solo album, Shapes And Shadows, so much and have listened to it so often that I'm now going to have to make a space in my head and heart for Rattlebag.
On first listen I hear that same great, unique voice and some really nice melodies and lyrics.
I know this album will grow on me and stay with me just as the first one did.
It just might take awhile to get past the splendor that is Shapes And Shadows.
Five stars for my anticipated love of Rattlebag. I might come back and be more specific once I've lived with it.
In the meantime I can safely advise everyone not to hesitate in making this purchase if you've enjoyed Ben Ottewell's music so far.
Now where's the new Gomez album?!?!?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 11, 2014 1:18 PM GMT

50 St. Catherine's Drive
50 St. Catherine's Drive

4.0 out of 5 stars Loving and respectful, 5 Nov. 2014
I have to say that I was happily surprised, as well as very relieved, by how much I like this album.
I've always been a big fan of Robin's unearthly voice. There was and is simply no other like it.
Of course I wanted to hear this release because it's the last we are going to get, but had my doubts about it.
Let's face it, by now we've heard some of the greatest stars disrespected with sometimes numerous posthumous releases of unfinished, inferior material.
As some others have said, 50 Catherine Drive does feel a little incomplete, but, given the circumstances, how could it not?
If you're a fan of Robin's and are concerned, as I was, that this album might not be a worthy final note, don't be.
You'll hear plenty of the stirring melodies and spine-tingling vocals you came to expect from this great artist.
It's a fitting and emotional send off and it should be in your collection.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17