Profile for Massimo Lavagnini > Reviews

Content by Massimo Lavagnini

Massimo Lavagnini (Milan, Italy)

This is Not a Maths Book: A Smart Art Activity Book
This is Not a Maths Book: A Smart Art Activity Book
by Anna Weltman

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book to play with math, 29 Sept. 2015
My kid liked as much as I did. It is fun and at the same time you learn important math concepts.

Island [DVD]
Island [DVD]
Dvd ~ Natalie Press

5.0 out of 5 stars A little miracle, 27 May 2015
This review is from: Island [DVD] (DVD)
It is difficult for me to say how much I love this movie since I lack words. I would watch it over and over again and every time I love it more. The story is gripping and Colin Morgan acting is stunning. You end up caring for Calum, wishing all the best for him, loving him like a friend. This is just because the humanity of the character comes out overwhelmingly. The setting is simply magic....I have developed a sort of mania for the Hebrides - the only thing I am thinking about is just to reach these islands and immerse myself in their fascination. This film is a little miracle. Bravo to all - directors and actors.

Parked [DVD]
Parked [DVD]
Dvd ~ Colm Meaney
Offered by Helen's Goodies

5.0 out of 5 stars Subtle and Poetic, 28 April 2015
This review is from: Parked [DVD] (DVD)
Moving film where the two main actors (Colm Meany and Colin Morgan) give a stunning performance. Colin Morgan character - Cathal - is expecially fascinating in his weakness, tenderness, poetry. I liked the setting as well and the photography. It is a definitely a great, understated, subtle film.

The Violin Sonatas: Bach Sonaten für Violine und Klavier BWV 1014-1019
The Violin Sonatas: Bach Sonaten für Violine und Klavier BWV 1014-1019

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 15 July 2010
Perfect! I am litteraly thunderstruck by the absolute perfection of these performances of the duo Zimmermann-Pace.
I have been listening to the sonatas for violin and piano by Bach for a very long time.
Rarely I had the opportunity to listen to piano-violin interpretations because they are almost nearly always performed by harpsichord-violin.
There are plenty of CDs available in the market. I have listen to all of them, but I have never found such balance and beauty. The sound of the violin is maravellous, always in tune with the piano, never overwhelming.
The duo found the right tempo for all the movements. The adagio of the F minor, for instance, an amazing piece in itself, is unfolding with such a greatness and solemnity that your heart almost blows off filled with joy and beauty. Indeed you could say the same or even more for many other movements... I strongly recommend anybody to buy this CD. It is a real treasure! You will have hours and hours of pleasure.

Fermat's Last Theorem: The Story Of A Riddle That Confounded The World's Greatest Minds For 358 Years
by Simon Singh

3.0 out of 5 stars Promising...but disappointing in the end, 28 Oct. 2008
The book looks like the author is just postponing the end of the story just repeating and repeating the same ideas. The part of the proof and the attempts to correct the proof are quite disappointing because they are too much redundant. Moreover Singh is sliding some e-mails which don't add anything to the story and are quite "impenetrable". I do not like this way of writing. The author pretends not to use math symbology and math concepts beyond very basic ones, and then he lets go concepts like Hecke algebra, Euler system, "quasi-automorphic representations", i.e. without giving any clue about what they mean.
I think it leaves too much maths unexplained (and in a book about a math conundrum you understand it is a big problem!); I would have loved to see the same ingenuity Derbyshire put in his wonderful "Prime Obsession".