Profile for Craig > Reviews

Content by Craig

SF289 with Shaving Factory Double Edge Safety Razor, Shaving Factory Hand Made Shaving Brush (XS size), Arko Shaving Soap and 100 Derby Extra Double Edge Razor Blades

3.0 out of 5 stars A good beginners razor, fantastic for it's price point., 17 Jan. 2015
Like most, I got tired of being scammed for a plastic block with a few blades and a block of aloe, and I had a gift card left over from Christmas, so I figured I'd go back to what I learned to shave with!

First of all, I received the 100 blades, the razor itself, the brush, and... 20 styptic pencils. No soap allowed, apparently.

The razor itself was actually quite a good build. After a few shaves, the only problem I had was the plug in the base of the razor fell out, but that's hardly a deal breaker for me. It's reasonably sturdy, quite comfortable to hold, and, while a little on the light side, still an okay weight.

When I first shaved with it I was quite disappointed by the outcome. My previous safety razor I had used all those years ago would give you the closest possible shave imaginable. With this, the blades can be quite irritating, and don't feel like they want to cut at all. Rather than letting the weight of the head do the lions share of the work, you have to push into the skin and then let the head do the work. I've even tried loosening to see if that would help, but that resulted in... well, not a whole lot, really.

The brush is fantastic. A few loose hairs to begin with, and a very minor smell that others have mentioned, but after a wash it was fine and most of the loose hairs had vanished. Due to the bizzare inclusion of stypic pencils in lieu of soap, I've been forced to use shaving gel, which the brush deals with quite admirably.

Now, if you're one of the unlucky souls who recieve the styptic pencils in place of the soap, heed this advice: previously any nicks I gave myself when shaving would have stopped bleeding by the time I've finished, but after cutting myself (on a Fusion Proglide, ironically), I grabbed a pencil, dampened it, and rubbed it on the affected area. Immediately afterwards I had decided that if I cut myself again, it would be prudent to pour white spirit directly into the wound in hopes it would hurt less.

Overall, it's a good price for what you get and while the razors have a fairly loyal following, I just can't see why. When I placed the order, I thought "fantastic! 100 razors!" now I'm wondering what I'm going to do with 100 razors.

Bastard in Black!: A local parks referee's tales of life on the edge
Bastard in Black!: A local parks referee's tales of life on the edge

1.0 out of 5 stars Read something else., 23 July 2014
Full disclosure: I did not complete this book.

The first half was interesting, don't get me wrong. Mr. Jacklin discusses the finer points of refereeing, beginning with his own failure as a young adult, and then picking back up to his current age in which he is a more adequate referee. It then goes on to discuss a few somewhat humorous stories (although the chapter dedicated to funny ref stories falls quite wide of the mark) and then one can presume that Mr. Jacklin had a whack on the head (perhaps an errant corner) and decided to dedicate a chapter to 'alternative World Cup teams' which is a fascinating section involving somewhat racist stereotypes of local names; "itchy" jokes for Croatia, and Scottish classics such as "Phil McCracken".

There is no talk of referees at this point, just as many puns as The Sun's editor in chief could turn out over a World Cup Weekend.

If you want a true insight to a referee at grassroots level, have a wander along to your local pitch and chat to the ref there. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to entertain you for longer than this would.

Learning C# by Developing Games with Unity 3D Beginner's Guide
Learning C# by Developing Games with Unity 3D Beginner's Guide
by Terry Norton

2.0 out of 5 stars May find some use as a reference guide for a beginner., 23 July 2014
Want to learn Unity? Want to learn C#? Want to develop games?

Look elsewhere.

The book is split into 2 halves. In the first, you learn the basics of C# (syntax, names etc.) and that's fairly standard fare. The second half involves working on a "project" in which you develop a game.

I opted for the digital edition of this book. The first red flag is when you realise that there's screenshots of the code you're replicating. Actually, I quite like this approach in theory: it forces the beginner to write out the snippets which may help aid memory retention. In practice, it makes it difficult to follow and breaks the flow of the book.

The second red flag is the examples. Variables and 'if' statements are taught by asking whether or not the bear makes potty in the woods, and checking it against a defined temperature variable (which then determines how large and smelly the bear's 'potty' is) to get the result. It's actually quite an effective teaching method but - and this 'bear' thing goes on for a few chapters more - it's difficult to not to raise the question "Was that really an appropriate example?". Other attempts at humour by the author fall equally flat in their childish nature.

Having said that, after each code segment the author breaks everything down, line by line, so that the reader can see how the computer reads and executes the instructions passed to it. This method gets a bit confusing the closer you reach the midway point, as you're now dealing with various scripts, and the author is forced to bounce between the two when discussing global variables and methods.

While we're on the subject of 'scripts', the author gets a bit confused. Very early on he explains that you are not making a 'script' as much as you are defining a 'class' and that he would be using 'class' throughout the rest of the book... then switches back to 'scripts' interchangeably. Of course, it's a minor issue, but one that can cause confusion.

All in all, you're probably better off looking elsewhere. It's not a particularly good book for anything other than a reference guide for somebody who isn't completely confident in their programming skills/memory. It definitely has it's uses, but the title is very, very misleading.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting experience., 31 Jan. 2013
After being intrigued by these for some time I finally caved and bought a packet of 10 tablets. Along with my girlfriend and her housemate, we stocked up on lemons, limes, kiwis, Guinness and Newcastle Brown Ale as well as a few other things and sat down to try these new tastes.

The tablet itself dissolves in about five minutes and the effect is ready to go.

Lemons: Some have claimed that lemons have a sweet orange taste to them. While there was definitely an undertone of orange, it would best be described as standard sweet lemonade (and not very good lemonade at that!)

Limes: Overwhelmingly sweet. They became the palate cleanser fo the evening after eating something particularly disgusting. Licking the juice of the lime was enough to induce a facial spasm of sweetness.

Kiwi: Tastes exactly as you'd expect. We didn't expect too much from this as it was bought more on a whim.

Salt and Vinegar crisps: No difference. Ever so slightly sweeter but nothing to shout home about.

Haribo Sour Cherries: If you've ever had really cheap sweets, that's exactly what they taste like! Not the most appetising to say the least.

Hubba Bubba Apple flavour: Slightly sweeter. The sour tang has been replaced by a sweetness.

Dark Chocolate: We thought the bitterness of the 85% Chocolate would be an interesting taste but sadly not, the bitterness was still prevalent and it tasted far cheaper than it should have.

Guinness: After hearing that it tasted like chocolate sauce, this was a "must" on our list. There was a chocolatey undertone for a minute or two but after that it turned into what was described as "tonic water" and "dirty dishwater" by my girlfriend and her housemate respectively. Both are surprisingly apt descriptions.

Newcastle Brown Ale: Carbonated nothingness. There's the slight hoppy taste but beyond that, not exactly what was expected and not particularly appetising.

Olives: Now. I'm not a fan of olives at all. In fact, I can't stomach them. They are without a doubt one of the most vile things I've ever had the misfortune to taste and the Miracle Berry doesn't change my opinion. To begin with I licked the olive and found it tasted very similar to an overripe grape. Upon eating it, there is a sudden burst of sweetness followed by the most extreme bitterness. My girlfriend loves Olives and she was unimpressed with them, to say the least!

Colgate Fresh and Minty Toothpaste: AVOID AT ALL COSTS! This was not intended to be tried but as we were doing this relatively late at night, we, naturally, needed to brush our teeth. Imagine spicy, dried apricot dripped in honey. To say it was "unpleasant" would be an understatement. Without a doubt, one of the most disgusting things of the night - just sheer displeasure. This actually came as quite a surprise to us as we thought it had worn off by the time we tried this.

Hello Kitty Strawberry Toothpaste: After the exploits with the regular toothpaste, this was a must. Surprisingly, it didn't taste that bad! Almost like a strawberry treacle.

French Mustard: Surprisingly pleasant! I've never been a huge fan of mustard but with miracle berries this was actually quite nice. The immediate hit of mustard was there but after that it tasted very similar to peanuts. Whether or not this is actually what French mustard tastes like is another matter entirely, however!

While I wouldn't describe it as a disappointment, it's not something I'd recommend whole heartedly. Certainly an experience, though.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2013 4:21 PM BST