Profile for SusanS98 > Reviews

Content by SusanS98

SusanS98 "zipdog55" (Birmingham, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Firm [DVD] [2009]
The Firm [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Paul Anderson
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Feel the force.. on course... G-Force, 21 Aug. 2016
This review is from: The Firm [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Comparing this to the original if I had to date this I would say the original stems from the very real situation prior to the 88 euro championship in Germany and that this new version with the riot! of colors and labels and the jazz funk/ electro music it is set in spring of 1984. By the time of the original film terrace fashions had toned down a lot so the clothes in the Gary oldman film aren't that way off the mark. To me they are quite different films with the oldman version having that air if 'executive' hooligans about it with the board meeting in a hotel, Bexys whole character. Both enjoyable films with a very strong southern England feel to them. Watch Awaydays for a more northern and arty experience!

Oradour: Massacre and Aftermath
Oradour: Massacre and Aftermath
by Robin Mackness

5.0 out of 5 stars June 10 1944, 12 Aug. 2016
That it is banned in France may have some bearing on its vailisity maybe not. I came across this almost by fate in a bookshop in Birmingham that is now closed. I had not thought about Oradour since reading about it when i was 16..within a few months of reading this I went to visit the place where this all happened. i certainly was not expecting the contents of this book to be what it is. You will have to make your own mind up about what happened, me I keep an open mind but its a convincng and gripping story.

Cass
Cass
by Cass Pennant

4.0 out of 5 stars His Life experience-engrossing., 18 May 2016
This review is from: Cass (Paperback)
I read this about 12 years ago but can still remember it well. Better than the book on the ICF it does paint a good picture of the ICF's early origins you can feel like you were there and Cass acknowledges that the experience of a lot of fans in that era were similar whatever team you followed you didnt have to be in one of the big firms to have the same understanding. A lot of the early 80s firms began with a few kids.. I found the story of gangland London, culminating in him being shot, absolutely horrifying-no glamour here just extreme reactions from dangerous people that are all around us but you are glad not to have involvement with. His upbringing is fascinating. I couldnt believe he was called a coconut by black people but his response to that says it all; ''coconut my arse!''; exactly. His story of tracking down and meeting his natural parent I can identify with as I am also adopted and found upon meeting my genetic parent that my adoptive parents had been my real parents all along; I think on reading those chapters that Cass here had the same experience;its very moving reading what he says about his adoptive parents.

A History of Modern Britain
A History of Modern Britain
by Andrew Marr

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating portrayal of Britain since 1940. a great tour through the decades since., 6 April 2016
Borrowed this from the library as cant afford to buy books at present! Fascinating read if you know little about the 40s and 50s of British politics, Marr paints compelling portraits of all the main figures, Gaitskell, Bevan, Eden, Macmillan, Atlee et al,he is very fair and honest, admitting that many thought of doing a deal with Germany before WW2 and also is fair to controversial figures like Powell. I loved reading that Anthony Eden gave Nasser a dressing down in fluent Arabic..which of our recent and present leaders would be able to do that? Are our leaders even remotely that well read?
Ive read several books on the 60s 70s and 80s already and thus know a fair bit but im sure when i get to Marr's chapters on these decades im going to find out a lot more.

Attack Of The Mutant 50ft Kebab
Attack Of The Mutant 50ft Kebab

4.0 out of 5 stars Kebab artwork, 18 Mar. 2016
Great album but WHY didnt they use the original album cover with the kebab towering over the american car??? its so much nicer..

Greatest Hits And Unheard Bits
Greatest Hits And Unheard Bits

5.0 out of 5 stars late 90s light hearted tunes, 16 Mar. 2016
Its a crying shame that the album 'love you more than football' never got released as the songs we have from it, 'Diary of a Wimp' , 'I love you more..' and 'Good Times' are just amazing. Space's music is quintessentially English and from that lovely time in the UK from about 1996 to mid 2001 before the world started going bad. Glad they are back together and making music for us

Strange Times
Strange Times
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars A real find, 31 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Strange Times (Audio CD)
I first heard a Chameleons song at a party in Germany in 1991: it was Dont Fall and I was immediately thinking that I wanted to know more. In Wilhelmshaven north Germany at the time there was a cd hire shop which opened the door to lots if music for me (they initially hesitated giving me membership me being foreign). I found the album Basically and was lost in the sound of it for the next few days. A few weeks later and back in England, the first thing I did was visit the record shops trying to locate Chaneleons albums. I found Basically and Script of the Bridge in a second hand shop then a few weeks later in another town I came across a fantastic album cover for Strange Times am album that you could say can be judged by its cover. Amazing.whst an album. Oh and the Tony Fletcher album is ahighly recommend I only knew it existed when I wrote to the PO box for the fan club thinking there must be more than 3 chameleons albums??? Sadly not. But I wish I'd kept the personal letter I received from Mark Burgess that pointed me to the Fletcher Ep.......

Sol Invictus
Sol Invictus

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back, 18 July 2015
This review is from: Sol Invictus (Audio CD)
Wow I never expected FNM to release such a great album 18 years after their last one. I initially saw it in HMV, being captivated by the artwork on the sleeve and thought it was another 'best of'. Surely this wasnt a new album from a 'long dead' band? and surely it wouldnt sound the same after so long? Having limited funds at present I sampled the songs on downloads first and wasnt overly convinced it was worth buying. However 3 of them sounded pretty good and on a landmark birthday I treated myself to trying/buying it. Even more interesting artwork/packaging followed upon opening and after continuously playing the 3 songs i liked I spent a good chunk of the special birthday listening and re-listening to the album from beginning to end. My opinion is that the best tracks are the maelstrom of Separation Anxiety, quirky Rise of the Fall and emotional From the Dead but Sunny Side Up and Mother##### are also brilliant. in fact the whole album fits together very well and sounds like it couldve been released 1 or 2 years after Album of the Year. What a great album, best thing I have listened to in a long time.

Looking After Jo Jo [1998] [VHS]
Looking After Jo Jo [1998] [VHS]
VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars DVD release please!, 7 May 2014
This is brilliant its far better than Trainspotting and has a soundtrack that matches that time exactly. Watched it recently on YouTube one bit at a time. Mesmerising....

The Primal Wound: Understanding the adopted child
The Primal Wound: Understanding the adopted child
by Nancy Verrier

4.0 out of 5 stars when it goes wrong..., 22 Jun. 2012
This book was an eye opener and contains a lot of accurate observations and explanations for the emptiness that you have to grow up with as an adopted person.Some very precious advice how to moveon as an adult. However, for me I needed to know what to do when the reunion goes wrong and how to deal with your 'real'family'turning on and threatening you. im glad i met my blood relatives and solved the mystery but a chapter on how to cope with reunions that dont work? This book believes too much that everything can be worked through..not true.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2013 12:14 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3