Profile for Jan Tipping > Reviews

Content by Jan Tipping

Jan Tipping (Belfast, Northern Ireland)

The  Dragon Keeper (The Rain Wild Chronicles)
The Dragon Keeper (The Rain Wild Chronicles)
by Robin Hobb

3.0 out of 5 stars Wait for the paperback - or better yet the finished series!, 7 Aug. 2009
I didn't realise this was in the pipleline and was really excited when I came across it in a bookshop. Like others have mentioned I was also a bit dubious because I got bored with the Soldier Son series mid-way through book 2 and didn't bother reading any further.

This series is much better and more along the lines of the Farseer and Liveship books which I love. The spelling mistakes throughout really irked me and some parts were unnecessarily repetitive. Overall though I enjoyed this book and read it within a couple of days. I especially liked the way familiar characters from the Liveship trilogy appeared in "cameos". Definitley worth a read particularly if you enjoyed the Liveship books. But not worth the hardback price.

The Book Thief
The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak

5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky, original and beautifully written, 28 July 2008
This review is from: The Book Thief (Paperback)
Unaware of any "hype" surrounding this book I bought it on a whim a few months ago. Picking it up last week I was totally gripped and couldn't put it down. Unlike previous reviewers I did not find anything about this story depressing. Parts are very sad but always there is a sense of hope. All the characters are determined to survive. They make the best of the circumstances. The community of Himmel Street could be any British street from the same time - with more Nazis, obviously!

The book is narrated by Death so from the outset expect people to die. If this upsets you easily this is not the book for you. If you do not enjoy WWII stories then this is not the book for you.

For me this is the best book I have read in years.