Profile for Sagan > Reviews

It's Not Rocket Science
It's Not Rocket Science
by Ben Miller

5.0 out of 5 stars Just superb, 5 Oct. 2012
If you liked Cosmos and A Short History of Nearly Everything then this is the book for you . A humorous highly readable summary of the most exciting science around. I particularly liked the climate change and human evolution sections. For me the book hots up after the first chapter . When I get half way through a book I usually either think-good not long to go now-or damn its nearly finished.The latter is how I felt about this book. I even found myself underlining sections and making notes (sad ? possibly but it is a gem of a book you will want to keep and not trade in)

I was reminded of the genetics I had forgotten and was especially interested in the lactose intolerance section . Ben Miller's intelligence comes through in his comedy but I hope he harnesses it for more of the same in the popular science field.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 13, 2013 3:55 PM BST

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars chickens are NOT quiet, 3 Aug. 2012
I have had chickens for 5 years and I would only ever choose an eglu product-they are easy to clean,user friendly and none of our hens have has any mites etc BUT I do object to the neighbour friendly marketing from omlet .Chickens are noisey and anyone in a terraced or semi should know that-they make a racket at dawn to be let out (not the gentle clucking noises omlet mentions) .Also omlet has nice pics of the run on a pristine lawn-your lawn will look like the Somme in winter if the run is not on bark ,gravel , paving etc.

Chickens are wonderful to keep and eglus are excellent but prepare for early mornings in the summer when the chickens awake .

The Legion (Eagles of the Empire 10)
The Legion (Eagles of the Empire 10)
by Simon Scarrow

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs a break from constant action, 11 May 2012
I enjoyed this book.I am a fan of the series .However this time I felt as if I was in a continuous Play Station game .There was hardly any break in the action and constant exposure to our two heroes became a bit tiresome.Perhaps a change of scene from Egypt every few chapters may have helped eg some political machinations in Rome . I agree that the spy was pretty obvious throughout . Nevertheless it is a good holiday read and the feel of the heat and dust of Egypt was very well done .I remain a fan .

The Story of Astronomy: How the universe revealed its secrets
The Story of Astronomy: How the universe revealed its secrets
by Heather Couper

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, 4 April 2012
With the popularity of amateur astronomy I am quite surised to be the first reviewer of this book. It is the book I have been looking for for years .The authors recount tales of astronomy from the ancients to modern day . It is well written and has a part travelogue feel to it . The scene moves from the Australian bush to Florence,Prague etc . I have always been a fan of Heather Cooper and enjoy Nigel Henbest too. Heather is in the Carl Sagan mould in my opinion and she seems to have been replaced on TV by the newer dramatic , sweeping camera astronomy shows .This is a shame ( does Sky at Night beckon in the future ?? I would hope so) . I would recommend this book as it is an informative and easy read .

The American
The American
by Martin Booth

5.0 out of 5 stars Frederick Forsyth meets Laurie Lee, 13 Jun. 2011
This review is from: The American (Paperback)
I was surprised how closely the book resembles the film-there are differences of course. The character in the book takes pride in his work and is not haunted by his actions. There are plot changes but the book still has the atmosphere of the film.

The Swedish scene at the beginning of the film is actually mentioned in passing towards the end of the book .

The book evokes the atmosphere of a small Italian hill town beautifuly . The writing is superb and moves from suspense to the beautiful prose that Laurie Lee would have been proud of .

This lists as one of my favourite books. As mentioned by other reviewers do not expect macho constant action . However, if you would like to live in Italy in your mind for a 400 pages then buy this book

I Believe In Yesterday: A 2000 year Tour through the Filth and Fury of Living History: My Adventures in Living History
by Tim Moore

4.0 out of 5 stars Great idea and very amusing, 13 Jun. 2011
I had forgotten how funny Tim Moore is . This is an interesting, informative and laugh out loud journey through 700 years of living history. The authour joins a french Roman legion fighting Gauls , a medievil fortress in Germany and several other areas of history. The American Civil War re-enactment is taken so seriously I imagine it is as near to time travel as humanly possible. I still laugh when I think of him being forced to read Shakespear to a group of grim US Civil War generals and civilians by oil lamp in a crowded tent.

I recommend this book and would rate it as high as his other books

Uneasy Rider: Travels Through a Mid-Life Crisis
Uneasy Rider: Travels Through a Mid-Life Crisis
by Mike Carter

5.0 out of 5 stars recommended, 5 Aug. 2010
This book improves rapidly as the pages turn. I found the first few pages a bit disjointed as if he was trying to make too many points in one sentence . However, this soon passes and the book becomes an excellent read.It is entertaining , funny and informative . Mostly it is honest-a very honest account of the reality of a middle aged man travelling around Europe . It has a touch of the Peter Moore's about it which is no bad thing . After the last page I felt as though I was climbing off the back of his BMW having had a superb trip .

An Utterly Impartial History of Britain: (or 2000 Years Of Upper Class Idiots In Charge)
by John O'Farrell

5.0 out of 5 stars I laughed out loud, 21 Mar. 2010
This is a wonderful book which entertains and educates . I have read it several times now . I initially bought it as an e book but I am so fond of it I bought a hard copy (much to the amusement of some e-book phobes I know).

I found myself laughing out loud every couple of pages but also gained a much better understanding of British History. Highly recommended

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Luxury, 30 Jan. 2010
I was given the false Ivory version of this for Christmas . The brush is soft , thick and holds water excellently .The razor has a light feel and the broad shape allows you to grip the handle (some smooth razors have previously slipped in my wet hand) . I would recommend this product. It also adds style to the bathroom which I think is the reason my wife bought it for me !

A Whispered Name (Father Anselm Novels)
A Whispered Name (Father Anselm Novels)
by William Brodrick

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit long winded, 23 Nov. 2009
I am sorry to burst the bubble here.This is a moving , interesting book.It gave me a fascinating insight into WW1 executions . However the story is relatively simple and the core of the story is repeated often throughout the text . At times I almost found myself shouting "Alright ! I get it". The text at times reads like poetry and I enjoyed many aspects of this book but I genuinely feel that the author uses over 370 pages where 200 would have been enough.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6