Profile for Avid Reader > Reviews

Avid Reader

The Rebirth of Suzzan Blac
The Rebirth of Suzzan Blac

5.0 out of 5 stars Evocative Social History, 11 April 2016
I read this after discovering a stranger who's devastating childhood had travelled 2 years behind and a few miles away from my own. The comparisons between dysfunction in two slightly different social strata are quite shocking. It is hard to believe that just a couple of miles away such an obviously intelligent person could have been allowed go through school to the age of 16 without anyone contradicting her own impression that art was all she was good at. Talent is a serendipity scattered at random, but what about the other kids like her who did not have such exceptional talent to realise themselves in?

Fodder for the car factories that were already on borrowed time perhaps?

I would say that we need to learn from these things so as not to repeat them, but, for now, society seems to have regressed back behind them, so what is the point?

JobCentre: Confidential: Three weeks undercover exposing the dark reality behind the scenes of the DWP

5.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't try to demonise anyone, as a result, the picture it paints is all the more chilling, 27 Aug. 2015
A really balanced and objective account of a nightmare system of cold-blooded injustice administered by fairly normal human people just trying their best anyway. It doesn't try to demonise anyone, as a result, the picture it paints is all the more chilling.

Meticulously observed and impartial at all times, this is a must read.

Paid For - My Journey through Prostitution: Surviving a Life of Prostitution and Drug Addiction on Dublin's Streets

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrified by the level of deceit, 14 April 2014
I bought this book in the kindle pre release for one very simple reason.

The author claims she spent the years between '91 and '93 standing about 15 yards across the road from me to work. I have met Moran at a conference and already knew this to be untrue, but I wanted to see if there were any verifiable facts at all in the book.

There were none...not one single mention of a familiar person or event. Not only did the author not work where she claimed she did, she apparently has no idea at all about the real people who did. She does not even know the material facts of sex work, at that time, itself.

This book is simple fraud and beyond that incredibly insulting and hurtful to the real people, not just sex workers, and clients, but Gardaí and residents who, among other things, were neither stupid, nor indifferent enough to walk on by while a drug addled child (sic) sold sex in front of them.

I should have posted this review right away, but I was scared of identifying myself and assumed Amazon would not let the review appear anyway, however I have now sworn out an affidavit in my own name which is online here:
[...]

I am happy to make notarised hard copy available to Amazon at any time upon request.
Comment Comments (16) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 25, 2017 5:11 AM BST