Profile for Valen's Shadow > Reviews

The Master [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jet Li
Offered by westworld-

4.0 out of 5 stars An underrated Jet Li movie, 17 Mar. 2010
This review is from: The Master [DVD] (DVD)
I first saw this Jet Li movie a number of years ago when I was lucky enough to find a VHS copy in my local Post Office. Sure enough it doesn't rival Jet Li's classic movies such as Fist of Legend, the legend of Fong Sai Yuk 1& 2 (aka the legend 1 and 2), Hero, Kiss Of the Dragon etc. Yet I found this an extremely watchable movie of Jet Li's. To the point that when an opportunity arose to purchase this title from America on region 1 DVD I did so. Also when this DVD from Hong Kong legends was finally released over here I bought the film again.

Personally what I liked about the film was Jet Li performs his extraordinary skills without or with minimal wirework in far more grounded display. I'm not a fan of wirework, at least I don't mind the use to accentuate natural moves making them that little bit more spectacular. But as much as a fan of Jet Li as I am, far too many of his films feature wirework that go beyond accentuating natural talent.

This film was one of Jet Li's early attempts at breaking Hollywood and in my opinion is far more successful, or perhaps I should say better in my opinion, than later efforts such as Cradle 2 The Grave, The One and War, showcasing Jet Li's undeniable talent.

District 13: Ultimatum [DVD]
District 13: Ultimatum [DVD]
Dvd ~ Cyril Raffaelli
Offered by Nr1mediaFBA

3.0 out of 5 stars Average sequel, 1 Feb. 2010
This review is from: District 13: Ultimatum [DVD] (DVD)
As an action sequel the first thing you have to do is up the action, taking it to the next level. In a way District 13 ultimatum did this with some bigger set-piece action sequences. But were they better or more exhilarating, or even equal to the original? No absolutely not. Now given that the martial-arts and free running was a major part of the success of District 13 I felt distinctly saddened that the action didn't thrill me. That's not to say the action's bad, it just wasn't up to the same standard.

Another thing that disappointed me was the loss of Dany Verissimo who played David Belle's characters sister from the first movie. Her role was not big but she certainly made an impact.

I did actually like seeing more of the district expanding our knowledge but weighing up the pros and cons, the negatives won out. I would recommend fans of District 13 rent this movie. Whereas I would say action movie fans of Hollywood films who haven't seen an awful lot of Asian style action/martial-arts would probably enjoy this a great deal. It is definitely better than the average Hollywood action movie but that is nothing to shout about.

Ong-Bak: The Beginning [DVD] [2010]
Ong-Bak: The Beginning [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Tony Jaa
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Ong Bak 2, 31 Jan. 2010
Tony Jaa returns in his third leading role continuing his domination as the best on screen martial artist of the last five or so years. Since wowing audiences with his debut lead role in Ong Bak Tony Jaa has been a bright light in the world of martial-arts movies. With former heavyweight like Jackie Chan and Jet Li past their peak and unable to perform to the same levels now their bodies are ageing, Tony Jaa has taken on their mantle performing amazing feats of grace, power and agility.

His new movie title is slightly misleading as it has little to do with the original Ong Bak. The statue from Ong Bak seems to be the only connection which may refer to Buddhist belief in reincarnation???

The film itself is set in the past and concerns a young prince(or important official's son) taken prisoner to a slave market , who ends up training to be a pirate (not the kind at sea). As he grows up he becomes a skilful fighter (as you'd expect) but his past still haunts him, crossing his path decades later.

There's plenty of quality martial-arts, stunt work and action sequences, it's also very different to Tony Jaa's previous efforts with him trying his hand at various kinds of martial-arts not just his traditional Muay Thai. I felt the story was a little confusing and perhaps I didn't take it in on the first watch. But on second viewing I enjoyed this film tremendously.

Okay it's no Ong Bak which let's face it Tony Jaa is going to struggle to equal or surpass that movie, yet I found it a very good martial-arts film. I should also mention that this is only the first part of the story and the conclusion will be told in Ong Bak 3 ( which will be hitting Thailand cinemas in April 2010). So don't be surprised when the story ends abruptly. I can't comment on the DVD itself since I haven't seen it but I would recommend watching the film, whether renting or buying.

Rebel [DVD] [2006] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Rebel [DVD] [2006] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

5.0 out of 5 stars The Rebel, 31 Jan. 2010
The Rebel is a Vietnamese martial-arts action drama starring the immensely talented Johnny Tri Nguyen (last seen facing off against Tony Jaa in the Warrior King aka The Protector). Fans of explosive martial-arts ala Tony Jaa won't be disappointed as Johnny Tri Nguyen delivers, choreographing and starring bringing some delicious moves and fight sequences. Even action newbe Veronica Ngo really performs extremely well for someone without formal training prior to the build up of this movie. Also for those who enjoy a good story to go along with their action you will also not be disappointed. It's a surprisingly well put together movie and bodes well for the future of Vietnamese cinema. This DVD includes the original Vietnamese soundtrack with English subtitles and an English dub dubbed by the lead actors themselves. I'm looking forward to Johnny Tri Nguyen's next movie also starring Veronica Ngo going by the English title Clash, currently in Vietnamese cinemas keeping James Cameron's mega Blockbuster Avatar off the top spot!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great poster!, 30 Jan. 2010
I've been wanting a Babylon 5 poster for quite some time. However it's been hard to find any let alone one that has such great art work. The poster itself is a quality print made with suitably thick quality paper. The only problem I have found is the lack of poster frames available for such a large poster and their high price. But don't let that put you off because it looks great framed on your wall. Worth every penny.

Drive (Director's Cut) [DVD]
Drive (Director's Cut) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mark Dacascos
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent US martial-arts film, 30 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Drive (Director's Cut) [DVD] (DVD)
I highly recommend this little known martial-arts gem from 1996. It's exceedingly rare to see an American made movie with such good martial-arts action and this film has it in spades. Drive features plenty of good fight sequences, lots of top action and a good helping of comedy moments. Mark Dacascos puts in a career best martial-arts performance and has an excellent on-screen chemistry with actor comedian Kadeem Hardison. Brittany Murphy shows what a talent she would become putting in an unforgettable performance and it's a tragedy she would die so young. All and all this film stands tall against its Hong Kong contemporaries making for a thrilling movie experience and in my opinion shows that Mark Dacascos is a real martial-arts talent, one fitting to be making more quality action movies.

Knockabout [DVD]
Knockabout [DVD]
Dvd ~ Yuen Biao
Offered by babsbargains - *Domestic, EU & International Shipping*

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb kung-fu movie!, 30 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Knockabout [DVD] (DVD)
I've wanted to see Knockabout for quite some time but being out of print in the UK the price is astronomically high. Luckily I managed to find a more reasonably priced copy several months ago. Being such an old film I really didn't expect that much from it even with the amazing Yuen Biao and Sammo Hung involved. Boy was I surprised how good Knockabout turned out to be! Yuen Biao especially turned out one of his, if not his best martial-arts performances I've ever seen. Such skilful and acrobatic martial-arts performed without wirework was just breathtaking. I'm always amazed Yuen Biao never turned out to be a martial-arts superstar like Jackie Chan. His moves, flips, acrobatic prowess draw droppingly awe inspiring. By far the most skilful performer of the three brothers. The film starts a little slow having some nice little comic touches building towards an epic finale. Some great training and fight sequences masterfully choreographed throughout. It's such a shame that Hong Kong cinema can't make them like this any more. I highly recommend that you purchased this DVD. Maybe not this UK version but if you can play other region DVDs the US region 1 DVD can be had quite cheaply. A must have in any martial-arts fans collection!

Road House 2 - Last Call [DVD] [2007]
Road House 2 - Last Call [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Johnathon Schaech
Offered by westworld-

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible sequel, 30 Jan. 2010
I saw this on one of the Channel 5 TV channels last year and couldn't believe how bad this film was. I'm even struggling to find the words to explain this. Bad acting, poor action, weak story. The only positive I can come up with about the film was the leading actress was extremely hot and even then she wasn't enough to keep the interested in the film. In fact after about half an hour I gave up scanning forward looking for some decent action sequences. If you're looking for good action I recommend you looking elsewhere.

Blood Ties - Complete Season 1 [DVD][2006]
Blood Ties - Complete Season 1 [DVD][2006]
Dvd ~ Christina Cox
Offered by BookyWookyDeals

1.0 out of 5 stars Found In Buffy's "Garbage" Utter Trash, Rubbish, Beyond Poor......., 28 July 2009
I feel I have to respond to redress the ridiculously high and unwarranted rating of the Vampire series called "Blood ties". No doubt many people have been duped thinking it's a high quality show much like Buffy the Vampire slayer, or some such thing. Unfortunately you have been tricked by desperate American fans knowing this show has been cancelled and for good reason. It's not even mediocre fare.

Clearly there are parallels to Buffy the Vampire slayer and its spin-off series Angel but it honestly doesn't deserve comparison. Calling this a mediocre show is a disservice to the word mediocre. There is nothing quality about this show. The only similarity is vampires and a female lead. Note that I did not say a strong female lead even though the so-called writers try to make her that way.

Now if you think "charmed" is a good series you can disqualify my comments because this is a diluted Buffy styled Vampire Show aimed at the "charmed" demographic . No quality writing/stories, no good action, no quality drama but I'm sure you girls can live with the handsome guys regardless. For those with a little taste try Buffy , Angel or Firefly you'll find guys/girls to lust over with characters and stories you'll *really care about* at the same time.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 21, 2010 8:45 PM GMT

Doctor Who: The Runaway Bride, 2006 Christmas Special  [DVD] [2005]
Doctor Who: The Runaway Bride, 2006 Christmas Special [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ David Tennant
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars Another Atrocious Christmas "Special", 30 May 2008
I don't know why every Christmas I expect it to be different, expecting Dr Who to hit the heights as shown in episodes like The Empty Child and The Doctor Dances, The Girl In The Fireplace and Blink. Yet every Christmas the same old turkey is delivered to us on Christmas Day. We don't get a special episode, we don't even get a quality episode, we get the most awful "adventure" of the entire year starring David Tennant as the Doctor.

This year was quite possibly the worst with Catherine Tate being especially terrible. You can't help but spend the whole time waiting for her to do her own so-called comedy " Am I Bovvered!" routine.

Doctor who is much better than this, if only they could capture that magic more than once or twice a year.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8