Profile for Nick Flynn > Reviews

Content by Nick Flynn
Top Reviewer Ranking: 322

Nick Flynn "NickF" (Devon, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Seagate Personal Cloud 3TB Home Media Storage - NAS
Seagate Personal Cloud 3TB Home Media Storage - NAS

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy-ish to set up, 22 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's great to be able to have a personal cloud, which can be accessed by the family from a variety of devices, including our smart tv.

as a bit of a technophobe, I'm all for minimalistic/simple instructions, but these were skimpy to say the least.

Everything you need is in the box, the drive itself is sleek and shiny black, and you get a power lead and ethernet cable.

Once it was plugged into my router and wall socket, I waited for 10 minutes for it to do it's thing, and then searched for it on my Mac (using Finder) under shared. Having clicked on the Public folder, and then the Public Cloud url. Once I had done the inevitable registration process, there was a firmware update to do, but then I was up and running. So far so good, I had followed the instructions, but now what ... fortunately the url supplied on the back of the instruction leaflet takes you to a place where there is much more info, particularly about the apps you will need on your device to access the personal cloud.

The families apple based devices are now connected, backed up and media shared ...

So why only 4 stars ... well, there was a certain amount of head scratching, and I think Seagate could have expanded their instructions a bit more. I think that there may have assumed the average purchaser of these devices will be a bit more tech savvy. The other reason for the point off is due to the not being able to use it for Time Machine backups ... As far as I can tell, everything is set up correctly, but Time Machine does not see the drive.

So the Pros are that it is easy-ish to set up, it is nice and sleek ... quiet too, and the whole family can store and share media.

The Cons are the slightly sketchy instructions and for me at least, no Time Machine backup. I did look at the instructional videos on the Seagate website, and there is one for PC backup, but nothing for Mac. The other slight con is Seagate Media ... it is not very slick is it? It works, and the indexing seems to be OK, but it falls behind the competition in terms of look and feel ... our initial experience is that it can be a bit laggy too.

Philips GC4521/87 Azur Performer Steam Iron - 200g Steam Boost, 2600 Watt
Philips GC4521/87 Azur Performer Steam Iron - 200g Steam Boost, 2600 Watt

4.0 out of 5 stars A nearly great iron, 18 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a decent iron from Philips, with a good range of safety, usability and maintenance functions, that is slightly hobbled by the length of the cord ... something Philips should take notice of and fix ... I'm sure an extra metre of cord would not add much to the asking price.

The iron produces a good head of steam, and is up to operating temperature quickly. The tank holds enough water for my tolerance of ironing, but for those with more stamina, it is easy to fill.

The sole plate is nice and smooth, and with the judicious application of clouds of steam, will work through even the crispiest of 'left on the line too long' washing.

There is a clever decalc device that (if you remember) should save the iron getting too gummed up, and is easy to use. The switch off feature is useful if you are as absent minded as I am, 30 seconds face down, or 8 minutes on its heel ... you may get a singe mark on your shirt, but you house won't burn down.

Works well in both horizontal and vertical planes for suits and dresses, but for us, the short cord was a problem that had to be fixed with an extension cord.

Philips GC4520/30 Azur Performer Steam Iron - 190g Steam Boost, 2600 Watt
Philips GC4520/30 Azur Performer Steam Iron - 190g Steam Boost, 2600 Watt

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely featured iron,, 18 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having flirted with steam generator irons in the past, we have moved back to the conventional iron camp, and this Philips GC4520/30 is a very competent performer. Light enough for as long a session of ironing as we want, with enough heft to produce excellent results.

There is good steam pressure, that can be used for normal ironing on the crispiest of washing, and also vertically on suits and curtains.

The water tank hold enough water for a good pile of washing, and it is reasonably easy to fill. It gets up to heat quickly enough, and has a useful switch off feature if you inadvertently leave it on ... 30 seconds on the sole and 8 minutes on the heel.

The sole plate is well designed, and does a good job of navigating buttons, zips and pleats.

We still have our old Philips iron and I measured the cord at 2.8 metres ... this one is just 2 ... and this somewhat hobbles the iron if your house is short of close power sockets.

In other regards, this is a well specified and easy to use tool.

Leifheit 85272 50 m Linomatic 500 Comfort Rotary Clothes Airer, Green
Leifheit 85272 50 m Linomatic 500 Comfort Rotary Clothes Airer, Green

4.0 out of 5 stars Huge capacity and quality rotary, 15 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Leifheit 85272 50m Linomatic 500 Comfort is a well made rotary drier that is at the expensive end of products on the market. We did previously have the 40m version from the same company, and can quite happily attest to the quality and reliability of the make.

This new version, despite the additional capacity is a little lighter, but you need to make sure you have enough space to put it, smaller gardens may be better with the 40m version. Being light, makes it easier to move for mowing, or storing away in the Winter.

Although it is supplied with a socket for you to DIY install with a bag of motar mix, we have the optional plastic screw in spike that although takes a fair old effort to install, seems to work well.

Plus points are as previously mentioned, it is light, the capacity is enough for our needs and will happily take king sized sheets and quilt covers. Opening and closing is very easy to do, and the lines retract to keep clean.

You will probably want to get a cover if you leave it in the ground year round.

Good quality rotary drier that is easy to put up and down, have enough space for many loads of washing, and should provide years of use.

GILDA Perfect Eye Cream
GILDA Perfect Eye Cream

4.0 out of 5 stars Some slight improvement, enough to persist., 15 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a baggy-eyed 55 year old, I was keen to try this Gilda Perfect Eye Cream. I have tried other potions and creams in the past, with very little effect, but nothing in this price range.

Application very easy indeed. There is a soft shaped tip at the end of the tube with some small holes through which the cream appears when you squeeze the tube. I have found the tip, and application of the cream to be comfortable to use, and although the tube is quite small, you only use the tiniest amount morning and evening.

I have been using the cream for about a week, and although small, I have noticed a little improvement, in both reducing the panda-eyed look, and some of the fine lines.

I appreciate that a week is a small amount of time to repair 55 years of ravaged looks, but will continue until the tube is used up ... if it works, and the results are visible to others, then £35 is probably a good investment. I will report back in a month or so.

TP-LINK TL-PA8010PKIT AV1200 Gigabit Passthrough Powerline Adapter Starter Kit (1200 Mbps, Multiple HD Streams and No Configuration Required) - 2 Units Pack
Offered by Box Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up, even for me, 11 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am the first to admit that whilst being a user of technology, I really do get apprehensive about setting up new devices, so anything that is labeled as easy or no set up is going to get my attention.

In the box you get a couple of pass through adapters, ethernet cables to match, and a user guide ... however, the very simple diagram on the side of the box is all you need.

One adapter to connect into the modem/router/hub and the other to connect into an ethernet hub. Set up is really really easy, just requiring the units to be plugged in and paired. Whilst there is a suggestion that plugging into a double socket and pairing might be the best way forward, it was not possible in my house, but it didn't matter as I was up and running in a few minutes.

If you are like me, and power sockets are a premium, these pass through adapters are a must.

I can't really comment on speed as I have no way to test, but I think these TP-Link AV1200 Adapters are about as fast as you can get at the moment, and should be a book for both intensive computer applications and streaming.

Logitech [+] trip Universal Air Vent Car Mount for Smartphone
Logitech [+] trip Universal Air Vent Car Mount for Smartphone

5.0 out of 5 stars Great idea that works well, 6 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have an iPhone 5S, which I keep in a pretty bulky and heavy case, so I did wonder if the Logitech + trip would hold the phone in place.

The pack is supplied with 2 square metal plates (to fix onto the back of your phone ... 1 silver, 1 black). the plates are just over 3 cms square, and are sticky on one side ... I was initially concerned that the plates would fall off my silicon wrapped phone, but they seem to be pretty limpet like.

My Ballistic case is is multi-layed, and the final layer of protection is a silicon sleeve. I initially tried the + plates inside the sleeve, but although it still held, the magnetism was much reduced.

Due to the bulk of my set up, I decided to stick both plates to my outer case sleeve, but I think most people will just need one, the other can be kept as a spare, as the plates are not really re-usable.

The Air Vent Mount worked very well in my BMW, but care must be taken where you attach it as that will reduce the performance and adjustment available on that vent, also, in the Summer, unless you close the vent, it will be blasted by cold air from your air con.

As most of the time there is no one else in the car, I fixed my + Mount to the central air vent on the passenger side ... that still keeps the phone within easy reach and view (in my car at least).

The Logitech + trip is a neat idea, the Vent mount is quite small, but powerful enough to hold my phone in place very securely.

Great idea that works well, and is robust enough for the job.

HP E7U19AA Executive Capacitive Stylus
HP E7U19AA Executive Capacitive Stylus
Offered by Fuzion

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but quite pricey, 2 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This HP Capacitive Stylus is reasonably stylish, and have a brushed aluminium finish.

Whilst this is a very crowded market with styli prices starting at less than £1 ... The HP Executive is probably a little better than most, and this is down to the tip which seems to be a lot more robust than the cheapies I have tried in the past ... Particularly for line drawing, and anything that needs a freestyle touch.

Works well on iPad and iPhone, and seems to be very reliable, so you have confidence in using the keypad.

4 stars for me, as I think there are plenty of other products on the market that are just as good, for a lot less money.

Osomount 360 Flex Universal In-Car Dashboard Windscreen Mount Holder for Smartphones
Offered by Zero 50 Retail Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, reasonable price and works on textured dash., 25 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have tried many of these universal car mounts in the past, but this is one of the few that actually works, it is compact in design and fits my iPhone 5S which I keep in a fairly bulky case.

This Osomount 360 is similar to a Montar Mount that I bought last year, and in fact, bought another for a friend a couple of weeks ago. The Montar works in a similar way, is perhaps a bit more stylish, but lacks the 360 degrees of adjustment ... it is also a little bigger.

Because my job takes me to some fairly inhospitable places, and the fact that I am somewhat accident prone, I keep my phone in a Ballistic case which adds quite a lot of bulk.

I have had universal mounts in the past that I've had to strip off layers of protection before I can get the phone to fit ... that takes time, and inevitably you stop using them.

This Osomount 360 Grip Universal Car Mount has a very compact design, and easily fits my phone and case which extends the width to 73mm and 19mm in depth. The compact design also works perfectly in my car where the windscreen is quite steeply raked, and bigger sat nav mounts don't allow much room for adjustment if they fit at all.

I get to do some roughish off-road driving for my work, and the phone has remained secure in the holder at all times.

The suction is excellent, and is suitable for windscreen and even textured surfaces, on this point I was a little sceptical, but it seems to work fine on our BMW and Audi cars ... there is a small disk supplied that will stick onto your more typical textured dash if needed.

Well worth 5 stars because it works.

Mens Boys Vintage Canvas Shoulder Military Messenger Bag Sling school Bags
Mens Boys Vintage Canvas Shoulder Military Messenger Bag Sling school Bags
Offered by LAIE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made, comfortable and very useful, 21 April 2015
This is a well designed and made 'man bag' that I used on a recent trip abroad. Some airline rules have relaxed recently to allow an additional small bag on the plane.

The bag was big enough for all my documents, a full sized iPad, Kindle, book, wallet, a couple of pairs of specs and other odds and sods.

Comfortable to wear, and it has I main compartment with a draw string, a small zipped pocket and a smaller unzipped one. The bag flap closes with a couple of magnetic catches, and there are a couple of mesh pockets on the side. Sadly not big enough for a bottle of water, but perfect for my specs and sun glasses.

Well made, comfortable to wear and good value. I'm happy to recommend.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20