Profile for Nick Flynn > Reviews

Content by Nick Flynn
Top Reviewer Ranking: 354

Nick Flynn "NickF" (Devon, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
MICRO Pedi NANO Blue Portable Pedicure Device
MICRO Pedi NANO Blue Portable Pedicure Device

4.0 out of 5 stars Small but effective, 29 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We have a corded version of this Micro Pedi, and are very keen on it. Especially at this time of year when sandals replace shoes and there is always the beach.

Although the corded version is excellent, it's a bit bulky for holidays, and there is always the faff of trying to find a plug socket near to somewhere comfortable to do your feet.

Enter the Micro Pedi Nano ... in Blue, which comes with an Extremely course roller, which is also anti-bacterial.

Like all Micro Pedis, the lightest of touch gets the best results, and this one, powered by 2 AA batteries is small enough to find a corner of a suitcase.

Being battery powered, it can consume them in a couple of sessions, so we always have some rechargeable AAs on the go.

Whilst is seems to work just as well as her pro version, being somewhat smaller and squatter in nature means that it is less easy to use, but as a back up and for holidays, it is very good.

I like the idea of these Micro Pedis being available in different colours, as it means we can have separate machines which is much better for hygiene.

Panasonic TX-40CX680B 4K UHD 40-Inch Smart LED TV with Freeview Play
Panasonic TX-40CX680B 4K UHD 40-Inch Smart LED TV with Freeview Play

4.0 out of 5 stars Rather good TV with great sound but on-demand services 'coming soon', 27 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Panasonic TX-40CX680B took all of 30 minutes to unpack, assemble and set up. 8 screws attached the brackets and base unit, and as soon as the power and aerial leads were attached, I was up and running.

The TX scanned and picked up my home router in seconds, and once my pass key was recorded, I was connected. There was an inevitable software update, and then a scan for channels ... 2 minutes later, I was watching bright crisp colours and very clear images, even on SD programs. HD was even better, so I can't wait to see what 4K is like.

There have been a few comments about the remote ... it's OK really, I have a Panasonic PVR and BlueRay and the remotes are very similar, so I'm well used to navigating my way around them.

The TV frame is very thin, and the TV is pretty light too. It would be ideal to wall mount, and Panasonic have been quite thoughtful in how they have placed the majority of the 3 USB, 3HDMI, 1 Ethernet and Aerial connectors on the side so the cables don't stick out of the back of the set.

By using Devices from the Home Page, we were able to access our home NAS and also our wifi enabled Panasonic PVR. That meant that we could stream content directly to the TV without having to physically connect ...

Colour is great, and you can alter the colour and audio settings with ease.

Viewing angle is reasonably wide, but if you do watch from a bit of an angle, the colours do get a little flat.

Built in sound quality is very good, and will be more than adequate for most people. We have also used it to listen to a variety of music from Rock to Classics, and were impressed.

You do have internet connectivity, either through wifi or ethernet, and there is even a firefox browser. It can be controlled using the supplied remote, but if you wanted to do a lot of browsing, I would invest in a keyboard and mouse.

On the Home Page, you can pin your favourite programs or web pages, and there is an apps store to access more content as well as subscription services like Netflix and Amazon TV ... assuming you have the bandwidth to download and stream.

The only negative I can report is that the TX-40CX680B has come to the market before Freeview Play is available. Freeview play will give you access to a range of on demand services like iPayer and C4OD ... but it is not here yet ... and looking at the Freeview website ... there are no dates ... just a message saying 'coming soon' Whilst there is a browser that will get you into services like iPlayer, you cannot stream a program as you need flash player, and that won't download to the set.

When Freeview Play does become available, you should get an automatic notification ... this is from the Freeview Play website.

When the Freeview Play service is ready to launch your Panasonic TV will alert you that FV-Play-logo-whitethere is an upgrade available (as long as it is connected to the internet). This network upgrade will update your TV’s software so that the Freeview Play service will then be available from the TV guide and the Freeview Play home page (where you see the Freeview Play logo).

You will then be able to get catch up TV from BBC iPlayer, ITV Player and All 4 integrated into the Freeview TV guide alongside live television. You will also be able to scroll back through the TV guide for 7-day catch up.

The Freeview Play service requires a minimum broadband speed of 2Mbps for catch up and on demand services. Watching on demand and catch up programmes will count towards any monthly broadband data allowance. 7-day catch up is for selected channels only.

In conclusion ... an easy 4 stars, that may well be upped to 5 when Freeview Play is available.

EE UK's First 4G Action Camera with 2 GB Data
EE UK's First 4G Action Camera with 2 GB Data

3.0 out of 5 stars Channeling your inner Joe 90, 27 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really wanted to love the EE 4G Action Camera as I am always up for outdoor pursuits that require robust kit to record the activity, from mountain biking, to canoeing, taking in water sports along the way.

What you get in the pack is the camera, a frame housing, a waterproof housing ... so both watch/viewfinder/control are water proof up to 60m ... so great for surface water sports, and British weather proof. Although I haven't tested out the depth claims, I have been for an hour long swim in the sea with the camera in a stuff bag.

You also get all of the charging and USB leads ... everything in fact, apart from anything useful to attach it to. I've had a look on the EE website, and although it shows pictures of helmet and bike mounts, and chest strap ... I can't see any way of buying them, or even prices.

Fortunately I have a friend with a GoPro and we managed bodge up to get it to fit to his helmet mount, so It maybe compatible with some GoPro accessories, of which there are loads of sellers.

The positives of this EE Action camera are the great battery life, and the fact that you can stream live ... assuming you have a 4G signal. Good 13MP stills and up to 1080P video ... and you can change those within settings on the camera. The watch also has timer, countdown timer and alarm functions which are always useful.

Unfortunately, I think the negatives slightly outweigh the positives ... including the hefty price tag, either as outright purchase, or on contract.

The camera in the waterproof housing weighs in at a hefty 255g or 9oz, and perched up on your bike helmet you really feel it ... you need the neck muscles of a F1 driver, and your helmet straps done up tight. Obviously it is not a problem on handle bars or a chest strap.

The watch doubles up as a viewfinder, and you can control the video, or take stills. If you are old enough, the watch is like channeling your inner Joe 90 ... if you are a bit younger, it looks like it will transform into something. It is BIG (like a G Shock on steroids) ... although surprisingly comfortable in active use. You can change the display colours (8) to suit you and the display is bright in doors. It is a completely different story outside. fine in the shade, but if it is sunny, the display is really difficult to see, especially in viewfinder mode.

Now we come onto the 4G streaming. I'm an EE customer, and I know that where I live is pretty hopeless for 4G ... despite the coverage checker telling me I should get good signal at home. Where I go to do my activities, is more off-piste, with even less chance of any 4G coverage ... so the chances of me being able to live stream are further diminished, and if I were mad/brave enough to throw myself out of an airplane or do a bungee jump ... as I'm hurtling to the ground, the last thing I will concern myself about will be the quality of my data connection.

So for me, it is pretty expensive, quite heavy, difficult to see in sun light, EE accessories don't seem to be available, and at least where I live, live streaming opportunities will be rare. 3 stars is a little generous, but if you take away the live streaming (for where I live), you have a pretty capable action cam.

But if you have the neck muscles of an F1 driver, you live in an urban environment where 4G is the norm, you are active on dull days, and are quite well off. this is the Action Cam for you.

If EE can sort out the display on the watch, and improve 4G coverage and get their accessories up for sale, or more likely at the current offer price, include them, then it would be a worthy contender for some of the GoPro cameras.

As a 'First' to market ... perhaps EE should be applauded for having a go, I'm sure that devices like this will flood the market in years to come ... It's just not there yet!

Update ... I have found the EE site for sales of the Action Cam Accessories ... it is https://accessories.ee.co.uk/actioncamera/

Oral-B Pro Vitality Plus Cross Action Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush
Oral-B Pro Vitality Plus Cross Action Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush

4.0 out of 5 stars Entry level with rather good CrossAction heads., 25 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There are so many Oral-B toothbrushes on the market, I find it slightly confusing.

This Vitality Plus Cross Action sits at the bottom end of the range, with fairly a fairly basic set of functions, that never the less cover most of your teeth cleaning needs. A 2 minute Timer, A Daily Clean programme, and it will hold enough charge to last you at least a week. Braun supply their brushes with 2 pin Euro plugs, so you will need an adapter or a shave socket in the UK.

This Vitality model has a 2D brushing action, whereas the models further up the range are 3D ... in Braun's own words ... The Oral-B Vitality electric toothbrush features 2D cleaning action that cleans in two ways – oscillates and rotates – to remove more plaque than a regular manual toothbrush. However, when you upgrade to our other electric toothbrushes, you can experience the superior cleaning power of 3D cleaning action that oscillates, rotates, and pulsates for up to 100% more plaque removal.* Whether you would notice the difference, I don't know.

This Vitality Plus is supplied with Cross Action heads which are angled bristles set at 16 degrees to cup each tooth for a better cleaning vs. a regular manual toothbrush. All I know is that they do a good job at keeping your teeth squeaky clean and getting rid of plaque.

You can get a variety of heads to suit your needs, and most come in at about the same price as a good quality manual brush.

I think for the money you can get a better spec Oral B tooth brush if you want more features, and you can always buy additional CrossAction heads as replacement.

Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 Multi Device: 5 Device, 1 Year [Frustration-Free Packaging] (PC/Mac/Android)

5.0 out of 5 stars Safe as houses, 22 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been a long time user of Kaspersky Internet Security, having tried most of the competition over the last 20 years or so. What I want is something that I can load and forget onto the family's PCs and laptops, and then pretty much forget about until renewal.

Installation from the CD is easy, although it is inevitable that on searching for updates, you will have to refresh the install.

Kaspersky IS 2015 is actually a suite of applications from Internet protection, through Safe Money, Parental Control and Webcam Security.

I'm most interested in Internet Protection, and Safe Money, although this does require some management as some internet payment sites are problematic and need to be added to your safe list.

I haven't noticed any slow down, and so far so good, it simply runs in the background and I occasionally get a notification about an update or a completed scan.

Happy to recommend based on my experience.

MICRO Pedi NANO Pink Portable Pedicure Device
MICRO Pedi NANO Pink Portable Pedicure Device

4.0 out of 5 stars Small and effective, 21 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My wife has a corded version of this Micro Pedi, and is very keen on it. Especially at this time of year when sandals replace shoes and there is always the beach.

Although the corded version is excellent, it's not that packable for holidays, and there is always the faff of trying to find a plug socket near to somewhere comfortable to do your feet.

Enter the Micro Pedi Nano ... in Pink, which comes with an Extremely course roller, which is also anti-bacterial.

Jacob Jensen Designer Coffee Maker
Jacob Jensen Designer Coffee Maker

4.0 out of 5 stars B & O styling on a Coffee Machine, 18 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I do like my coffee, and over the years I have tried pretty much every type of coffee machine there is.

The Jacob Jensen Designer Coffee Maker reminds me a little of an old favourite Bosch Machine ... which brewed great coffee into a thermal jug. Apart from the water delivery mechanism which defuses rather than simply drips ... to cover more of the coffee grounds, this Jacob Jensen Machine is Old School and simple ... and the better for it too.

The finish is a bit Old School too. Jacob Jensen was a lead designer for Bang and Olufsen, and it shows ... huge amounts of sand blasted aluminium look fine, as long as you can keep it clean ...

I quite like the styling, it is just a little different than the primary coloured plastic or shiny stainless machines that are generally available these days, and the oval shape of the machine means that I doesn't take up too much space on the counter.

Although I do like this coffee maker, 1 star off because it is expensive for a basic machine, and the other reason for docking a star is that I find the long slim handle on the jug a bit tricky to grip ... maybe I'm getting old. Also the finish was not what I would expect from a premium purchase.

The bottom line is that it makes good hot coffee, that thanks to the vacuum jug with stay hot for an hour or two. It is expensive for a simple no bells and whistles machine, but if you like the way it looks and can afford it, you won't be disappointed in the brew.

skinChemists Advanced Wrinkle Killer Day Moisturiser 50 ml
skinChemists Advanced Wrinkle Killer Day Moisturiser 50 ml

3.0 out of 5 stars A minor improvement, 16 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Let's face it, I need all the help I can get. If it's not age, then gravity is doing its level best, with a little sprinkling of outdoorsy weathering.

I'm happy to try out the skinChemist Advanced Wrinkle Killer Day Moisturiser, which comes in a very smart dispenser tube that perhaps belies the fairly meagre 50ml content.

From the instructions, I applied the Wrinkle Killer Moisturiser after a liberal application of another brand of Serum. Being mean, I may not have been overly generous with how much I applied to face and neck, but to be honest, even my sparing approach seemed to be just about right. I'm not sure how much money you would have to have in the bank to go generous on a product that is somewhat north of £150.

The active ingredient is a synthetic snake venom, that is supposed to tighten your skin ... and it does seem to work ... a little ... and let's face it, on me, anything is going to be an improvement.

Is it worth the asking price, I personally don't think so, but if it makes you feel good about yourself, and can afford it ... why not.

C.K Magma Tool Roll
C.K Magma Tool Roll

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tool roll, 28 May 2015
This review is from: C.K Magma Tool Roll (DIY & Tools)
This CK Magma Tool Roll is perfect for taking a good selection of hand tools (including a hammer ... loop) out on site.

Not only does it protect your kit, it makes finding the right tool simple.

I have a range of screw drivers, files, crimps, pliers, pens and heat sensors in mine, and the different pocket sizes will take a variety of tools.

Rolls up well, and even with a good old selection of tools on board, the straps are long enough to adjust and close.

Cushtie Pillow Black
Cushtie Pillow Black
Offered by Prezzies Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for lumbar support help., 28 May 2015
Bought for my car seat, I have an older, and slightly smaller Cushtie, but wanted something that was the same colour as my car seats.

Easily mouldable and is a better lumbar support than the one in the car as I can position this exactly where I want.

I have a newish car, and ended up with new car bad back, so was dreading a thousand mile round trip in 3 days, but thanks to the Cushtie I was still bordering on human when I got out of the car.

I have previously tried memory foam cushions, but found they moved, got squished, and also seemed to retain heat.

Happy to recommend to anyone who has a slightly dodgy back and wants some extra support. The Cushtie will also double up as a travel pillow.

One caveat though ... this Cushtie is about 25% bigger than my old one, and for smaller folk, it might be a bit big for stuffing behind your back for lumbar support.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20