Profile for K. Alembick > Reviews

Content by K. Alembick

K. Alembick (Bedfordshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Miele S5261 2200 Watt Cat and Dog Turbo Bagged Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner, Red
Miele S5261 2200 Watt Cat and Dog Turbo Bagged Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner, Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 5 Mar. 2014
This is a great vacuum cleaner - love the way the tools are stored and are easy to access. I love the fact that when you empty out the bag, there is no dust flying everywhere! And yes, I have very fast moulting cats in the house, so I am forever trying to get rid of their fur! Highly recommend it - the power alone, saves so much time. There's no having to go over and over the same spot!

Wrong Place Wrong Time: The Gripping True Story That Many Readers Want To See Made Into A Movie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Edge of the seat stuff - had me gripped till the end!, 5 Mar. 2014
Picked this up and read it in a couple of days - found it impossible to put down, as I had to see what happened in the end.
I found the writing both easy and flowing to read. His descriptions were wonderful - you could see what he saw, and feel everything he felt. Yes, he made some stupid decisions at the time - he made mistakes - but he was a youngster at the time, and most of us have made silly decisions and mistakes in our younger days. Many of us get away with things, that no one ever has to know about it, so I have to feel sorry for his bad luck at being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and admire his honesty in admitting to all of his mistakes at the time. It could have happened to any of us...

I also imagine, that getting it all written down, has probably been very cathartic/therapeutic to him. And it's amazing how truth can be so much stranger than fiction. We never know what we're capable of, until we're put in situations where we really have to fight for our own survival... I hope he writes more. Would like to know what's happened since this book ended!

Fractured
Fractured

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Just blew me away! What an incredible read!, 19 May 2013
This review is from: Fractured (Kindle Edition)
Someone mentioned this book to me, so at the price, I thought I'd give it a go. Absolutely blown away by it. The writing was superb - and the story was unbelievably clever. Couldn't put it down and it's one of those books, that will stay in your mind for a long time after you've finished it. More please Dany! Fabulous!

The Girl You Left Behind
The Girl You Left Behind
by Jojo Moyes

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent story..., 30 Sept. 2012
This book is the story of 2 women separated by 80 years. It starts in Northern France in the first World War - Sophie has moved back from Paris to stay with her sister, helping her out in Le Coq Rouge - a hotel that has been in their family for a long time. Both their husbands have gone to fight at the front. The Germans have taken over that part of France - and it has been decided by their kommandant, that they will eat in the sister's hotel every night. So the sisters are given a supply of good food (which they no longer have access to) to feed the German soldiers that will be eating there every night with their Kommandant. This puts the sisters in a difficult position - as they don't want the Germans there, and they don't want to be thought of as collaborators by the rest of their village - but they have no choice, and it is extra to eat for the little ones - the scraps...
Sophie's husband was an artist, training under Matisse, and has painted a picture of her - he has captured her so well, that the painting has an almost mesmeric effect on those who look at it, including the Kommandant, who appreciates and understands art.
Roll on 80 years to Liv, who is newly widowed at a very young age, and has that painting hung in her bedroom, bought for her by her late architect husband on their honeymoon. Apart from the home that he built for her, the only thing that really keeps his memory alive for her, is the painting...
But it seems the painter's family want the painting back, as they say it had been stolen during the first world war...
To give away anything else, would be to add too many spoilers here. But it is a wonderfully written story, that kept me turning the pages. The story of Sophie, is such an emotionally written one, and brought tears to my eyes. And then Liv - but you need to read it for yourself.
JoJo Moyes descriptive prose is wonderful, she has a way of putting you into the action, and feeling and reacting to everything that is going on. I loved this book, and had already read her The Last Letter from Your Lover, which was also wonderful - so have now ordered all of her other books on the basis of this. It is rare to come across such a great storyteller. Highly recommended!

Separate Lives
Separate Lives
by Kathryn Flett

3.0 out of 5 stars Well written - but..., 28 July 2012
This review is from: Separate Lives (Paperback)
This starts off telling what is happening from one point of view, then switches to another, then another. Just as you are getting into one character's viewpoint - you'd hear the story from another.. My problem with that, was that both the female character's views sounded like they were coming from the same character - in other words, it didn't seem as if the characters were developed enough... Though, it was interesting to see how different characters view the same incidents...but at times it seemed too repetitive and belabouring of a point. Aside from that, the premise was good, and the writing was very good. I just found it hard-going, but would try her next book, as the actual writing style is very good.

Tuff-Luv Leather 'Embrace Plus' Brogue case cover for Amazon Kindle 4 / Touch / 6" E-Ink - Black gloss

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely love this, so stylish and practical., 26 July 2012
Finally treated myself to a Kindle, and then looked around for something to store it in. Totally fell in love with this case from Tuff-Luv. It is so stylish, I have had so many compliments on it! Ok, for a book lover/bibliophile, that isn't really necessary - but it really is a pleasure to use it as well.

It looks like a little clutch bag (so great for holidays!) but fits easily into my handbag. It's wonderfully easy to hold with one hand, as illustrated, and it can be stood up - so you can read at a table, whilst eating, drinking or whatever.

I would highly recommend it. Am thrilled with it. Just wanted something a bit different, practical and stylish - and oh, easy to find in my handbag as well!

Samphire Coast
Samphire Coast
by Robert Greenfield

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Roller-coaster adventure - and very uplifting!, 28 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Samphire Coast (Paperback)
Just finished reading this book, and I enjoyed every minute. Apparently it is the author's first book - and it was such a joy to read! The author Robert comes over as a really lovely and fun guy - his personality shines through. The way he describes him and his partner Mike, taking a chance, moving up from London to a place they'd never been to before - falling in love with the area - and creating a wonderful place to stay - really tempts you to follow suit. Take a chance in life and try something completely different! And the way he has described North Norfolk, it is now down as a place I'd like to visit real soon, it's not somewhere I'd even thought of visiting before this book! But after reading the author's description - it just sounds amazing... I'm sure this book will do well, it is full of charm, with many parts funny, and some sad - it has the full range of life going on between it's covers. Please write your next one soon, can't wait to read it!!

The Debutante
The Debutante
by Kathleen Tessaro

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 28 May 2011
This review is from: The Debutante (Paperback)
Quite disappointed with this book. It was more of a character study, and very lacking in an actual plot. I guess this could be classified as contemporary literature. I couldn't see where it was going, and kept reading to find out. It seemed to go nowhere, though I suppose it was interesting. It involved 2 separate story lines, one set in modern times, and one historical. I felt in the end, that the historical part was used more as a padding to make this into book length. If it was intended for anything else, it didn't end up going there. There was no actual joining up of the parts, it would have been better if there had been. There was some clever convenience at the end, where you are convinced that you may have just met the historical character - but nothing is conclusive.
I think she was trying to make a point about injustices, and heart-breaks with this story - which I suppose that came across. However, I found it amusing that having wanted to set the original story in the V&A, she found that too big a canvas. An author friend gave her a shoebox with random objects inside to inspire her story. She literally used that... To be fair, it was very readable, she's a good writer - but I was left at the end wondering the point of it all? This was the first book of hers that I've read. I won't be looking at any more... Sorry.

Lotus Women's Isis Wedges
Lotus Women's Isis Wedges

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty, glamorous and sooo comfortable! Thrilled with these!, 26 May 2011
This review is from: Lotus Women's Isis Wedges (Shoes)
I ordered the silver and black. Really thrilled with both of them. They both sparkle, and are at a fantastic price here, compared to everywhere else online and in the shops! Wonderful deal. I am usually a size 6, and they fit to size. So comfortable. The way they are designed, you are walking on the equivalent of about a 2" heel, because of the platform in the front. They look absolutely gorgeous and glamorous on. Totally on trend, but totally classic - and should last a few summers/holidays. My husband thought they looked lovely, and couldn't believe the price! So thrilled. Thank you Amazon. Now we just need the weather...
Highly recommended, for comfort, glamour and the on trend look of now - and into the future.

The UnTied Kingdom
The UnTied Kingdom
by Kate Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars It deserves more than 5 stars!!, 23 May 2011
This review is from: The UnTied Kingdom (Paperback)
I won't go over what this book is about, it has been well covered in other reviews. But I started reading this book after 9pm last night (a Sunday night) and finished it at 3.30 am this morning - on a Monday (workday!!) I couldn't put it down, it was that good! Even with books that I can't put down, I can usually save some of them till the next evening. But with this one, I had to read till the end. This is Kate Johnson's first adult novel. I just hope she writes more and fast!
I became so involved with the characters of Eve and Harker, as well as all the other characters - they all came so alive with Kate's writing - and this alternate England, that I had to know what happened. I wish there could be a follow up, and am wondering if she has left it open for that?
Her alternate England and her knowledge of history, is very well researched - and it makes it all seem possible - though whether the English language would have developed in exactly the same way, is questionable. But it was an excellent read, and highly recommended, very highly! I would also give it more than 5 stars!
Kate, you have to keep writing, more please!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3