Profile for D. Mcmullin > Reviews

Content by D. Mcmullin

D. Mcmullin "dmc" (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The dragon and the poet
The dragon and the poet

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy!, 31 July 2016
Do not buy this kindle book as the translation is extremely poor.

A Tale for the Time Being
A Tale for the Time Being

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as Murikami!, 20 July 2015
I really enjoyed this story. Don't be put off by the first chapter...it does get better! It is as good as a Murakami novel, but I'm a bit of a Nipponophile.

Royal Assassin (The Farseer Trilogy, Book 2)
Royal Assassin (The Farseer Trilogy, Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit like Tolkein but written with a woman's sensitivity., 25 May 2015
I enjoyed this trilogy and if you like fantasy and heroic quests this one is for you. A bit like Tolkein but written with a woman's sensitivity.

Smile for the Camera: The Double Life of Cyril Smith
Smile for the Camera: The Double Life of Cyril Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Danczuk has some good things to say about Cyril Smith, 8 Nov. 2014
I was pleasantly surprised by how well this books presents this horror story. Mr Danczuk has some good things to say about Cyril Smith,the politician but also shows him to have been a sadistic monster. I would recommend this book to all readers and those,like me, who live near Rochdale.It stands as a warning to us all that the we can be deceived by appearances.

tesa 4334 Precise Edge Indoor Masking Tape, 5 Months Residue Free Removal, 25mm x 50m

5.0 out of 5 stars Best tape I've used!, 11 April 2014
I found this tape excellent for holding watercolour paper to a board. I used it mainly with acrylics. It does away with using gummed tape.

Dragonology
Dragonology
by Dugald Steer

5.0 out of 5 stars A collectable book or a generous gift for a clever child or a dragon fanatic., 11 April 2014
This review is from: Dragonology (Hardcover)
I bought this because I love good illustrations beautifully presented. A bargain for the price! Publishers please take note there is an appetite for books of this quality!!

The Third Policeman (Harper Perennial Modern Classics)
The Third Policeman (Harper Perennial Modern Classics)

5.0 out of 5 stars Shame about the footnotes ..., 11 April 2014
I read this book when I was a student and loved it so I recently bought it to reread on my Kindle. Still a great read but spoilt by not having the footnotes incorporated into the text as they were in the original book. The footnotes were at the end and I found them inaccessible whilst reading the story. If you can afford it I would buy a paper copy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 13, 2014 11:39 AM BST

High and Low [DVD] [1963]
High and Low [DVD] [1963]
Dvd ~ Toshirô Mifune

5.0 out of 5 stars A great film!, 20 Mar. 2014
This review is from: High and Low [DVD] [1963] (DVD)
A really good piece of entertainment. The film has left a big impression on me. A first part of the film takes place in the home of the main character and it felt like watching a play on stage. The second part of the film deals with more action and leads to a tragic climax. It will be one of my favourite film memories.

Nemesis Now 'Dragon Lord' Fantasy Ballpoint Pen
Nemesis Now 'Dragon Lord' Fantasy Ballpoint Pen
Offered by Mooshy Trading

1.0 out of 5 stars Some gripes!, 14 Mar. 2014
The pen I received was slightly damaged and I did not realise the resin it is made of has sharp edges which means one cannot carry it in a pocket.As a pen it does work but I cannot see how one would refill it after all the ink has been used. Overall I would say it is just a novelty item which would have to stay in a drawer or left on a desk.

The The Strangest Man: The Hidden Life of Paul Dirac, Quantum Genius
The The Strangest Man: The Hidden Life of Paul Dirac, Quantum Genius

5.0 out of 5 stars Dirac biography, 29 Nov. 2013
As a layperson, who had not even heard of Paul Dirac, I would recommend this very readable book for it's account of an interesting life that should be more widely known. I particularly like the references to the more well known scientists he worked with and the awful events of the 20th century.Whilst the science of atomic physics and Dirac's equations remain,after reading this, a complete mystery to me, I feel I can appreciate the herculean efforts Dirac and others made to shed some light on that mysterious world.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3