Profile for Miskatonic > Reviews

Sony NW-ZX100HN High-Resolution Audio Walkman with Noise Cancelling - Silver
Offered by Advanced MP3 Players

4.0 out of 5 stars Flawed user experience but enjoyable audio, 21 Dec. 2016
For £500, I expect a better user experience than this:
- Album artwork is surprisingly frequently absent, despite being viewable on other devices.
- Some non-English characters are not displayed, being replaced by generic squares.
- Navigation is surprisingly and noticeably sluggish, and not just during playback.

On the other hand:
+ the device is light and very compact.
+ the battery life is superb.
+ the audio is a distinct improvement over that of a top-end smartphone.

I guess, even at £500, you can't have everything…

AUKEY USB C Adapter to USB A 3.0 ( 2 Pack ) with OTG USB Type C Converter for New MacBook , MacBook Pro 2016 , ChromeBook Pixel , Samsung S8 / S8+ , and More Devices with USB Type C port
Offered by Tianyue Dazzling

5.0 out of 5 stars A cheap & functional alternative to Apple's own adapters, 21 Dec. 2016
A quick review for Mac users.

I have tried several of these adapters with a 2016 model MacBook Pro, and can advise the following:
1) Two of these will fit comfortably side-by-side on MacBook Pros with two USB-C ports on either side.
2) Make sure you push these in until you hear a satisfying, "click". These are far more secure than USB-A plugs and far less likely to move from side to side.
3) These have been successfully tested with an external optical drive and several 2.5'' portable HDDs.

Other than that, it only remains to see how durable they are. For the present, I'm satisfied with their construction, but time will tell.

If you're not convinced, be aware Apple has extended the discount on its own range of USB-C adapters until March 31st 2017, should you wish to go that route.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 23, 2016 4:33 PM GMT

Toshiba Canvio Basics 1TB Portable External Hard Drive 2.5 Inch USB 3.0 - Black - HDTB310EK3AA
Offered by CIAMPISTORE_ITALIA

2.0 out of 5 stars Two out of three faulty is a poor statistic; avoid., 12 April 2016
Toshiba HDTB310EK3AA 1 TB Canvio Basics USB 3—I purchased this in January '16 and found that it wouldn't mount reliably over USB 3. I was using an adapter and initially blamed that for the problem. It later transpired it /was/ the drive, so I had it replaced by Toshiba. The replacement process was simple enough but the turnaround was two weeks. Now it turns out the replacement drive is also faulty: it won't spin down when ejected, a problem which did not affect the prior drive nor affects another, identical drive which I also own.

So, I've decided to give up on these drives. I'd recommend foregoing them and looking elsewhere.

Regeneration [DVD] [Region 1] [NTSC]
Regeneration [DVD] [Region 1] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Jonny Lee Miller
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality DVD encode—avoid., 30 Mar. 2016
Regeneration [DVD] [Region 1] [NTSC] - The copy with the, "Bonus Digital Copy Included" banner in silver at the top of the cover.

As another reviewer has mentioned, this is a pretty poor digital rendition of the film. It's apparent from the outset, when the background to the initial credits comes up in a dark grey instead of the black it's supposed to be. Throughout, the quality of the transfer is poorer than I'd like, and I'm in the process of sourcing a different version that may be higher quality.

The film is well worth viewing, but not via this particular DVD release.

KANEX Thunderbolt to eSATA with USB 3.0 Adapter
KANEX Thunderbolt to eSATA with USB 3.0 Adapter
Offered by Vadgets

2.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable, with poor manufacturer support, 1 Mar. 2016
I own two portable HDDs, identical make, model and capacity. Using the same USB cable, one drive would connect instantly through this adapter's USB 3 port, one would not. I contacted Kanex support, and was auto-replied that I would receive a response within 48 hours. One week later I prompted them to respond. They responded a day or two later, asking for more information, which I supplied later that day. Since then: not a peep.
This adapter may or may not be faulty, but Kanex's lack of adequate support clinched it, and I've returned the device for a refund. Apparently the Startech adapter may be more reliable, I suggest potential buyers look at that one instead.

LG P7 Silver MUSICflow Bluetooth 20w speaker - Silver
LG P7 Silver MUSICflow Bluetooth 20w speaker - Silver
Offered by gadgetsville

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor sound quality and battery life; avoid., 3 Feb. 2016
I tested this overnight and was immediately disappointed by the sound quality and the battery life. Vocals were muffled and often indistinct, and I eventually realised this was due to an almost complete lack of sibilant sounds (eg. the "s" and "c" in "silence"). At night when I tried rain sounds for relaxation I found that what sounded obviously like rain through the Bose Soundlink Mini II (or even my smartphone's built-in speaker) sounded like a long, unending breath of wind through the P7—the lack of sibilance robbed it even of sounding like the white noise that my cheaper Logitech used to produce.

This was sufficient for me to return the device, but the fact that, when I woke up 8 hours later to the sound of the device telling me the battery was low, I was actually a little astonished. This was 8 hours of just-above zero volume, and the battery already needed charged. According to the user guide LG had tested it with 1kHz at 30% volume, and achieved 8 hours. I used it at well below that volume. Given the device took around 4 hours to charge, I was not impressed.

I'd avoid this, and would recommend a Bose SoundLink Mini II, if you can find one whose battery is worth a damn…

Loewe Speaker 2go Aluminium Bluetooth Mobile Speaker with NFC - Silver
Loewe Speaker 2go Aluminium Bluetooth Mobile Speaker with NFC - Silver

2.0 out of 5 stars Compatibility with your device may be an issue; can't comment on sound., 1 Feb. 2016
I can't comment on the sound quality offered by this speaker, as I didn't own it long enough. My rating relates to the compatibility of the device with expected features. I encountered two problems that led me to send it back: the Bluetooth pairing was flaky; and the volume control was flawed.

With regards to BT pairing: I had to re-pair both tested devices (one an Apple device, the other and Android, both recent models) after terminating the connection. This was unexpected given my experience with competing speakers. The BT pairing sound was also quite loud, even when deliberately muffled, and couldn't be disabled, which added to the discomfort when pairing at night.

The volume control was the kicker, however. My Android device (running Lollipop 5.0.2) was unable to control the volume of the speaker remotely. The BT volume control was presented by the operating system, but adjusting it had no effect on the Speaker 2go. This was, again, unexpected given experience with other BT speakers. At the very least I hoped for it to control the speaker's hardware control directly, and at best to offer an independent volume control that allowed for finer-grained volume settings. Neither of these was true for the Android device, though the Apple device did directly control the speaker's hardware volume. Unfortunately, the app of chief interest for me with the Android does not have a built-in volume control, and as this app cannot be replaced with another for DRM reasons, I was left with having to manually control the volume on the Speaker 2go when using this app. This might have been acceptable, but the Speaker 2go's lowest volume setting was still too high for comfortable listening at night.

I think perhaps Loewe's biggest flaw in designing this speaker was leaving out the ability to upgrade the firmware. The seller was unable to replicate the problems I encountered, and I'm guessing that compatibility was the issue (a notorious flaw in the Android world). Bose, for example, have corrected several issues in their line using firmware updates, and Loewe's Speaker 2go could conceivably have benefited from updates to be able to keep apace with the speedy changes in the Android and Apple worlds.

USB B MALE TO MICRO AB FEMALE ADAPTER CONVERTER- PLUG TO SOCKET- SMARTPHONE
USB B MALE TO MICRO AB FEMALE ADAPTER CONVERTER- PLUG TO SOCKET- SMARTPHONE
Offered by CableFinder

2.0 out of 5 stars Design flaw may render it useless for its purpose, 23 Jan. 2016
Unfortunately the housing is too large for the male end of the adapter to fit into the recessed USB ports on the source devices I've tried. I imagine this will be a problem for the majority of devices this would be used with (eg. scanners, printers), so this product may be worthless.

Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth Speaker II - Pearl
Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth Speaker II - Pearl

2.0 out of 5 stars Faulty batteries may be an issue, though sound & build quality are adequate, 23 Jan. 2016
Two stars because I've had to exchange this speaker twice in the space of a month, owing to a faulty battery in each one. I purchased from a high-street store, and the 28-day exchange period has been a life-saver. On the first occasion, the battery wouldn't charge fully despite being left plugged in for over 10 hours (4 is supposed to be sufficient). On the second occasion, the Battery Indicator would flash amber briefly, to indicate active charging, but then switch off. Leaving it for 4 hours on the off-chance this was simply an idiosyncrasy saw the battery develop no charge.

I've nothing against the sound quality, though I agree it's a little heavy on the bass; however, at least it's tight. The top end is lovely and distinct (when listening to rain sounds you can pick out individual droplets quite easily, where cheaper speakers just sound like white noise), and vocals are clear and easily understood.

The build quality seems high, and I imagine this speaker would stand the test of time, if it weren't for the battery issue.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 26, 2016 9:51 PM GMT

Jackrabbit Slim / Alive On
Jackrabbit Slim / Alive On

2.0 out of 5 stars 5-star music, 2-star CD, 6 Jan. 2016
The two stars are _not_ a reflection of the music. I've rated this double-CD low because there is no track listing for either CD. No liner notes either. Nothing. That's awful. I've had to come here to the product webpage to find out what the additional seven tracks on the "Jackrabbit Slim" CD were. Given that this CD tends to sell for a premium, even second-hand (I paid significantly more for this CD than for most others I've purchased over the past few years), I'm very disappointed by this.
Shame, because otherwise I'm glad to own a copy at long last.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2016 4:05 PM GMT