Profile for patrick macmahon > Reviews

Content by patrick macmahon

patrick macmahon (London, UK)

Neet® - WiFi Wireless Music Receiver - AIRPLAY + DNLA - for APPLE (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac), ANDROID (phones, tablets), WINDOWS (Laptop, PC) - High quality wireless audio streaming - Wolfson DAC - Turn your Speaker Dock, stereo Hi-Fi, home theatre etc. into a wireless sound system.
Offered by Neet Cables

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic little box, 23 May 2015
For the price this is hard to beat. Easy to connect to my home WiFi network and I use BubbleUPNP on Android to stream to it - local files on my phone, all my cloud-stored Google music, NAS audio files. I use the optical output through an external DAC to my amplifier. Now in the process of ripping my CDs to flac files on my NAS - despite the what the manual says, flac is supported (CDs ripped with MusicMonkey)

Lenovo S6000 10.1-inch Tablet (Black) - (Quad Core 1.2GHz Processor, 1GB RAM, 16GB eMMC, WLAN, BT, 2x camera, Android 4.2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tablet for the price, 31 Dec. 2013
I picked up this tablet for £159.99 at Curry's (list price £169.99, but they price-matched Argos) to replace a broken Motorola Xoom. For that price, I don't think you'll find a better 10 inch tablet - sure, there are better available if you double the price, but for most people, I imagine the Lenovo will do the job. Ours is mainly used for watching video (both on device and through TV), reading emails, magazines, books, etc, a bit of photo-editing with PS touch, games for the kids.

Good points:
Updates to Android 4.2.2, and you can disable all the lenovo/norton bloatware (in Applications Manager, within settings)
Quad core processor seems to zip along fine (I don't play high-end games, but things the kids like (Angry birds, bad piggies, etc) run smoothly)
Expandable memory with micro-SD - I swapped the one from my Xoom - everything available immediately
Micro HDMI slot - can plug straight into our telly with a £2 cable. I recommend VLC player - it'll play any video you throw at it.
On the go cable (cheaply available) allows transfer of photos from camera SD card. Haven't tested this with an external hard drive, but I imagine it would work.
Battery life is excellent - with moderate use, it needs charging every 3 or 4 days.

Bad points:
Although it has Android 4.2.2, there is no facility for separate user accounts (as on the Nexus 7). This is the one area I am disappointed in, as the additional user accounts and restricted profiles on the Nexus are really useful for a family device.
Screen resolution is low compared to higher-end (and higher priced) devices. That said, the screen is bright and clear, and perfectly sharp as far as I'm concerned.
Only 1GB RAM, which seems low these days, but I've not noticed any performance issues. Lower resolution screen requires less RAM though, which perhaps explains negligible effect on performance.

All in all, I think this tablet offers the best 'bang for your buck' (to coin an awful American phrase) of any 10 inch tablet on the market in the UK. Unless you absolutely must have the highest spec out there, you won't go far wrong.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2014 6:39 PM GMT

Sussex Wildlife (Sussex Guide)
Sussex Wildlife (Sussex Guide)
by David Mortimer

4.0 out of 5 stars A Smashing Little Book, 7 Jun. 2008
This is a beautifully produced book, and an excellent guide to 20 sites in Sussex of interest to wildlife watchers. There's plenty of information given and it's also a joy to read - lots of diversions into history, meanings of placenames, etc.

My one criticism is the lack of an overview map with the sites marked. I would use it in conjunction with the Sussex Wildlife Trust's guidebook, which has many of the same sites listed.