Profile for S. Polling > Reviews

Jacob's Ladder [DVD] [1991]
Dvd ~ Tim Robbins
Offered by Jasuli

5.0 out of 5 stars One Hell of a Film..., 4 Jun. 2003
This review is from: Jacob's Ladder [DVD] [1991] (DVD)
I have to confess, I bought this film having never seen it, on the recommendation of one of the other reviewers. I have not regretted this purchase for one moment. From the perspective of buying (as opposed to renting) a film, you want a film that you can watch many times over and still find new things, or a film that can be appreciated on many different levels.
During the film, three different realities are presented, all of which are convincing, but all of which have just enough doubt in them to make the viewer question whether they are actually happening. Where the genius of this film becomes clear however, is that when you watch from the assumption that one "reality" is the real course of events, the other storylines can be interpreted as the misguided (or drug-addled!) apprehension of events in the first reality. I have watched this film many times now, and every time I watch it I end up with a different opinion of what actually transpires. I geniunely cannot think of another film which achieves this.
Even with the intracacies of this plot, Jacob's Ladder manages to be watchable and, in places, one of the scariest horror films I have seen. Tim Robbins's finest film! And yes, I have seen Shawshank.

Page: 1 | 2