Profile for Ronald Sway > Reviews

Content by Ronald Sway

Ronald Sway (IOM)

The Windup Girl
The Windup Girl

1.0 out of 5 stars Trying too hard to be someone else, and not just William Gibson, 19 July 2012
This review is from: The Windup Girl (Kindle Edition)
I tried hard with this book, thanks mainly to the other reviews, even though the plot was very slow to build but eventually couldn't take any more and had to give up. It reeks of a desperation to be like Gibson but fails even to be a reasonable copy. The Bangkok obsession bored me to tears even though I worked there for a few years and knew at least some of what he was on about. Books should fundamentally tell a good story, Paolo seemed to be trying too hard to impress us with his coolness. Very disappointing, both in the book and in the reviews that convinced me to buy it...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 23, 2016 9:27 PM GMT

Pathfinders: The Golden Age of Arabic Science
Pathfinders: The Golden Age of Arabic Science
by Jim Al-Khalili

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 6 Jan. 2011
It makes a refreshing change to read a history book written by a scientist. It is quite clear the difference between fact, speculation and personal opinion, something not always the case when a traditional historian writes.

I half expected a book full of excessive gushing praise for the Arab scientists in this period in history but that does not do the writer justice. The book is very clear when the scientists miss the mark but provides sound reasoning for why we should be considering some of these people on a par with the well known greats from Greek and later European history.

Quite hard going at times with rereads needed occasionally but well worth it and necessary to give a sound understanding of not just the work of the scientists but their place in history as of that of their benefactors. Yet another example in history showing the benefits of investment in science and technology to the progress of a civilisation, current leaders in the West should take note!

Panda Internet Security 2009 3 users 1 year (PC CD)
Panda Internet Security 2009 3 users 1 year (PC CD)

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and easy protection let down by poor support and performance, 25 April 2009
I have used Panda both at work and at home for many years. It is certainly not without faults but I have always renewed because of it's cast iron protection.

The biggest problem is it runs a full daily scan (pavjobs.exe) that you just don't seem to be able stop, prevent or re-schedule. The scan takes hours depending on hard drive size and seriously slows the PC when it runs.

This leads on to the next problem - support. This has always been poor but I used to put it down to what I assumed was a small firm with a small market share. Their response is usually to reinstall which is very painful and never solves the problem. Then there is usually an update which also rarely solves the problem. The above problem is still with me though I am trying again to see if it can be resolved.

Whilst this side of Panda is very frustrating, I can't bring myself to let go of the rock solid security I've had over the years.

** Now been upgraded to Panda 2010 by support and problem is resolved - in terms of protection this really is the best product out there but still not happy with the length of time taken by support. If I could change it I would now give this 4 stars

Practical PHP and MySQL: Building Eight Dynamic Web Applications (Negus Live Linux)
by Jono Bacon

1.0 out of 5 stars This book should be withdrawn, 21 July 2007
If it were a car this book would have been recalled for safety reasons. There are so many things wrong with it.

The first project is a weblog - first mistake is that the sample data tables are written wrong. Then I find a whole section of CSS code is missing so I have no idea how make my example look like the book. Then I see the screenshot of my example page has more links in it than are available in the code shown in the book. This is only four pages into the chapter.

If there were updates online or source code on the CD then it would be bareable since the concept of this book is great. The CD is useless unless you want to run Ubuntu linux and code within that environment. I have setup a separate LAMP server and access it through my Windows PC. In this instance there is no access to the source code at all.

This is a major disappointment since the sample projects are very good examples but it too much hard work filling in the gaps without progressing with real knowledge of PHP/MySQL.

Even if fixed this book is not for a total beginner. Thats a good thing, though, since there are many beginner books but not many "second" books. If it has a new edition with all the errors fixed this will make an excellent second book on PHP/MySQL but right now it is just not in a state where it should be available for sale.

Homedics TherapistSelect Wave Action Massager with Heat
Homedics TherapistSelect Wave Action Massager with Heat

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product and great service from the supplier, 19 July 2006
Bought one of these for my wife - it was so good we have since bought three more for friends and relatives. To be honest we've never tried an alternative but we don't really need to after this.

The massager has two heads with three replaceable attachments. We don't use the heated heads since it takes too long to warm up and the normal heads are more than adequate. The dual head system means it ideal for massaging down the spine. It is easy to use on your own too.

Item was despatched very quickly from the supplier and was well packed.