Profile for Peter Jones > Reviews

Content by Peter Jones

Peter Jones "captaintau" (Worcestershire)

Page: 1 | 2
Cooksmart PVC Apron, Chicken
Cooksmart PVC Apron, Chicken

5.0 out of 5 stars ... is more because I'm surprised at the number of poor reviews so I want to balance those, 8 July 2016
This review is more because I'm surprised at the number of poor reviews so I want to balance those.

Christmas present from the wife last year and still getting regular use with no cracking, spoiling or delaminating.

Compared to other PVC aprons it is quite stiff but that's not a bad thing. My only slight criticism is that it ties quite high and isn't quite as comfortable as some others. But it's big which is great for me.

I won't use cotton aprons as I just don't see the point. This apron is a nice pattern and highly practical.

Nikon VAECSP08 Case CS-P08 for COOLPIX, black
Nikon VAECSP08 Case CS-P08 for COOLPIX, black

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it promises, 18 Jun. 2015
This does exactly as promised. It's high quality, compact and functional. In honesty I expected it to be bigger, especially for the price. I hoped to be able to hold more accessories in there such as memory cards and cables. There is ONE storage area, aside from the main section. This will house a cable OR some memory cards, but it's a tight fit.

I'm using it with my Coolpix P530

Leatherman LT140 Raptor Emergency Cutting Tool
Leatherman LT140 Raptor Emergency Cutting Tool

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an amazing and innovative piece of kit that every serious emergency ..., 27 Jan. 2015
This is an amazing and innovative piece of kit that every serious emergency service practitioner should carry. Versatile, rugged and reliable.

Ulster Weavers Madeleine Floyd Chicken and Egg PVC Apron
Ulster Weavers Madeleine Floyd Chicken and Egg PVC Apron
Offered by fab-furnishings

5.0 out of 5 stars very comfortable. Features chicken breeds, 1 Jan. 2015
I was bought this for Christmas by the wife. Finding a functional and practical pinny big enough for my male dimensions and also not feminine had proven to be a challenge but she did well here.

Generous size, very comfortable. Features chicken breeds. We have most of the breeds shown here so it's also personal and fun. Wipe-down so eliminates laundry. Crucially, it covers what it's supposed to and I wouldn't feel embarrassed answering the front door wearing it.

Ulster Weavers Rooster PVC Apron
Ulster Weavers Rooster PVC Apron
Offered by Gilt Edged Promotions Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 Dec. 2014
Generous size. Certainly effective. Does the job.

Heian/Pinan Kata & Bunkai The Fundamentals
Heian/Pinan Kata & Bunkai The Fundamentals
by Lee Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid bunkai. Fulfills the description, 16 Feb. 2014
I've had the pleasure of training with Sensei Lee several times so can vouch for the quality of his teaching and his understanding of Karate bunkai jitsu.

This is smaller than I was expecting but certainly fulfils its description. It covers each of the five Pinan/Heian kata in clear pictures and then shows known, understood and proven PRIMARY bunkai for each of them. Granted it doesn't cover secondary bunkai nor extrapolate principles from them. BUT, the book is entitled "The Fundamentals" and this is what you get.

As a practitioner of Karate bunkai jitsu I'm glad to be able to add this to my library for future reference as an aide memoir.

Ulster Weavers Cats in Waiting PVC Apron
Ulster Weavers Cats in Waiting PVC Apron
Offered by All Pretty Things UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Very practical, 17 Aug. 2013
If there's a downside it's that it's probably a little feminine. If this isn't an issue for you (like if you're a lady!) then it's a great apron. Generous size. Very practical. Adds a bit of colour and fun to the housework.

Sons of Macha (Shadowmagic, Book 3)
Sons of Macha (Shadowmagic, Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling, 4 Mar. 2013
You can often judge the quality of a book based on how long it takes you to read it. This was released 1.3.13. I downloaded it that morning and read the first eleven chapters almost straight away. This is set to the be the last of a trilogy but I suspect there will be calls for more to be written. Mysteries remain and some characters (good and bad) could have much more story to them.

Be clear about this; this is obviously a young readers book. It won't be winning any literary prizes but if the brief is to entertain then it certainly does that. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading all of these books (and listening to the author narrate them.) They are exciting and enthralling. I strongly recommend all of them.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars "Pepper's?", 11 Feb. 2013
Why the unnecessary apostrophes in "peppers" and "nuts?" I wouldn't buy this with poor a level of even basic English.

The Crime Code
The Crime Code
by Michael Cordy
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic. Great stuff once again from Michael Cordy, 5 Jan. 2012
I type this review really in reply to other reviews. Those giving one or two stars: what book have you read? It wasn't Crime Zero (or The Crime Code as it has been re-entitled). Yes, that's a fair point. Potential buyers should be aware that Mr Cordy's publishers have re-released several of his books under different names to make the most of the publicity slipstream following The DaVinci Code. Although I can't blame them it is a shame as Michael Cordy stands separate with his writing style and propensity for revelation.

The premise is simple, it's the classic nature/nurture debate. Except that it's been re-done. Now we have a mad scientist who has realised that, given that 90% of violent crime is committed by men, the way to eradicate 90% of violent crime is to... you get the picture. And so our detective hero jumps in.

Reference is indeed made to The Miracle Strain (re-entitled The Messiah Code) but not in excessive way. Actually I'd be quite happy if more of Mr Cordy's books referenced each other. It fulfills the brief of "thriller" and keeps a great pace. As in most of Mr Cordy's books, it gives you cause to think at times. Plot twists aren't at all predictable which sadly I can't say for his two most recent books (The Source and The Colour of Death). Although these are well written and very entertaining, the plot twists can be seen coming in same way of most of the Avatar plot. The "major" twist you certainly don't see coming.

I've read this book maybe three times now but not for a number of years. It's available on Kindle too so I just feel the urge to buy and enjoy it again. High recommended.

Page: 1 | 2