Profile for Foxile > Reviews

Content by Foxile

Foxile
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
AVG Internet Security, v9, 3 User, 1 Year subscription (PC)
AVG Internet Security, v9, 3 User, 1 Year subscription (PC)
Offered by the store shop

2.0 out of 5 stars Why so poor, when the free items are brilliant., 17 Mar. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm certainly no expert when it comes to using computers, but this software baffled me and more often than no, needed shutting down to get certain applications to connect to the Internet.

I've always been a fan of AVG and their free virus checker is my usual recommendation if anyone asks what I would use.
I quickly uninstalled this after a frustrating few hours and unless it's been seriously patched, I would recommend it, sadly.

Neet® - 5 Port HDMI AUTO SWITCH BOX with REMOTE - 5x1 (5 way input 1 output) - 1080p Full HD - v1.3b HDMI Switcher
Offered by Neet Cables

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit, shame about the ergonomics., 14 Mar. 2011
As far as the operation of the equipment, it's been faultless. It switches automatically between sources ( XBox 360, PS3, Blu-Ray player and Apple TV ) when I switch them on. Installation was a breeze and took a few minutes, while I sorted cables.

My only two ( very small ) gripes are the layout of the HDMI inputs/output and the remote control.

The HDMI sockets are spread across two edges of the unit, which means you have cables coming from all directions. I would have much preferred them to be all on one side , so it'd be much easier to keep the cables tidy.

The other minor issue is with the lack of a labelling facility on the remote. I know that I'll be able to remember which device goes into which number port, but my girlfriend who is an utter technophobe won't, which results in lots of pressing of buttons and 'sighs' as she can't get it to work.

For me, these are two very minor points, however if you're someone who likes to keep everything tidy and/or shares their AV equipment with family members, they might grate a bit.

Leicestershire Monopoly
Leicestershire Monopoly

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for those of us from Leicestershire, 16 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Leicestershire Monopoly (Toy)
If you're reading this, you probably already know all about Monopoly, so there's no need to explain that.

If you're from Leicester/shire then this is a great alternative to the usual game. It's lovely to see local landmarks replacing the usual Pall Mall, Regent Street, Old Kent Rd etc. In my opinion, it's worth the extra cost over the 'vanilla' Monopoly game.

Sony MEX-BT3800U Bluetooth Car Stereo with Usb and Front Aux Input
Sony MEX-BT3800U Bluetooth Car Stereo with Usb and Front Aux Input

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 16 Feb. 2011
Things have moved on since I bought my first car stereo. So much so that I was expecting this unit ( even though it's a Sony ) to be a little limited for the money, but it's perfect for my needs.

Like every other car stereo out there, it plays CDs, holds a multitude of radio stations in memory for later use and pumps out a decent sound level/quality.

What I really needed this for was the Bluetooth side of things and in that respect it's ideal. I can stream music from my iPhone and take calls at the same time ( the unit pauses your iPhone/iPod during the call ) with a single button press. Once the call is finished, the music resumes.

Can't fault it, especially at this price. I'm that impressed, I'm buying another one for my daughter, for her first car.

Samsung B2430H 24 inch Widescreen LCD Full HD Monitor (DVI, HDMI, High Gloss Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the money.., 15 Dec. 2010
I bought this to use with my MacBook Pro ( summer 2010 model ), so when I was at home, I could use it like a desktop.

I had all sorts of problems trying to get the MacBook display to work over the HDMI connection. I tried a variety of connectors and adapters, but even though the option for 1080i and 1080p were available to me on the Apple Display properties, the quality of text on the display was terrible.

In the end I had to use a DVI connector to get the display to provide readable text.

If you're going to use this monitor for your PS3/XBox360, then HDMI might be fine, but for PC work where you use a lot of text, I'd choose the DVI option.

Apple iPad 1 / 1st Generation (2010) Screen Protector, MediaDevil Magicscreen Matte Clear (Anti-Glare) Edition - (2 x Protectors)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product !, 22 Nov. 2010
I've used MediaDevil protectors before, for my iPhone and I was massively impressed with the protection they offered. With that in mind, I opted to buy this screen protector for my iPad.

I was initially slightly worried about the matte finish ( before the product arrived ), as I really like the glossy screen on the iPad and didn't want to lose the clarity.

Fitting was a very simple affair as the protector is quite stiff, which allows for accurate placement and the provided applicator made it a simple process, when getting rid of air bubbles etc. The matte screen doesn't affect the screen clarity in my opinion and certainly helps reduce reflections. The biggest bonus for me though is that my fingers glide over the surface much more smoothly than they used to with the glossy screen. Tracking is still as good as it was and I would say the protector has improved my iPad expereince.

Highly recommended.

Incipio Feather Shell Case for Apple iPad 1st generation - Black
Incipio Feather Shell Case for Apple iPad 1st generation - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Incipio case, 18 Nov. 2010
I'm a big fan of Incipio cases, having already fitted one to my iPhone and MacBook Pro. They're light, tough and most importantly for me, very thin.

The iPad case is exactly the same as the others and takes seconds to fit. You have access to all the controls/ports and the iPad still fits in my LUPO neoprene case, for when I'm travelling.

The only real negative is that the packing seems excessive, but I imagine that this is the same model that goes out of shop displays as well. If they're going to sell via Amazon, I would have thought a simple recycled cardboard box would be sufficient and might save a few pennies in the costs too.

As always, with Incipio, highly recommended.

LUPO iPad Neoprene Bag Case - BLACK
LUPO iPad Neoprene Bag Case - BLACK

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain for basic iPad protection, 9 Nov. 2010
It's a snug fit ( mine isn't too long for my iPad ) and I imagine that if you want to put a case or 'skin' onto your iPad, you'll need to choose your case carefully.
I have the Incipio case, which is very slim, allowing me to use this as an overcase with ease. Anything too thick and the LUPO case probably won't slide over without considerable effort.

For under a fiver, you can't fault the LUPO. Protects the iPad, is fairly low key ( you don't really want to shout out that you're carrying an iPad ) and the stiching seems solid enough. I wouldn't recommend using this as the sole protection, unless your iPad never leaves the house, but as an extra layer of protection for what is a very expensive piece of hardware, it's ideal

Incipio 13 inch Feather Case for MacBook Pro - Dark Blue
Incipio 13 inch Feather Case for MacBook Pro - Dark Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Pricey but good., 26 Oct. 2010
I have the Incipio cover for my iPhone, so I was condifent that this would be something of equal quality and I wasn't wrong. It comes with a foam pad ( where you MacBook will go ) to stop it getting crushed/damaged in transit. Fitting the cover is a 10 second affair at most and you have access to all the slots, as you'd expect. I was worried it might snag with the magnetic power connector, but I've had no problems at all.

This isn't a cheap cover, but it's a good fit, protects you MacBook nicely and looks like it will last for years. Shame the 'Apple' symbol on the lid is obscured.

There are cheaper alternatives, but I'm happy to pay the premium for a great bit of kit.

Aquabourne Wind up & Solar Radio AM/FM/WB - use anywhere as it's splash proof! White finish

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little radio, 26 Oct. 2010
I bought one of these to replace the old wind-up radio my Dad uses when he's fishing. The old radio would need winding far too often and the winding mechanism was very loud, when you're sat at a quiet lake.

This radio is much better. Just a quick one minute wind ( very quiet by comparison too ) is all that's need to get the radio started and from then, the solar panel will keep it going, even in very overcast conditions. The sound quality is good for the unit's size and the fact that it's splashproof is an added bonus.

A bargain !!