Profile for thomsonjon > Reviews

Spectre [Blu-ray] [2015]
Dvd ~ Daniel Craig
Offered by Direct Entertainment Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars A License To Thrill & Then Some!, 28 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Spectre [Blu-ray] [2015] (Blu-ray)
Well what can I say without too many spoilers & I really don't want to raise expectations after the hype that was given to Quantum of Solace & especially Skyfall which although had their moments came nowhere near close to the spectacular introduction of Daniel Craig as 007 in Casino Royale. I was born in 1960 so for me there was only one Bond & that was Sean Connery. It is a real shame we never saw the planned final 3rd film with Timothy Dalton due the legal battle because apparently it was the best Bond film never screened as Timothy spent the first two clearing up the mess of Roger Moore's ridiculous pastiche of 007 ... Bond had become a joke & as a kid who read all Ian Fleming's books I will never forgive the casting of Moore as our hardened secret agent. Pierce Brosnan didn't make a bad fist of things (the original choice to replace Moore but Remington Steele refused to release him from his contract) but Daniel Craig in my humble opinion is the first actor since Connery to absolutely nail the part. It's a shame the last two scripts didn't serve him as well as his first outing but Sceptre simply has to be the best Bond film of all time ... oops ... so much for lowering expectations. Here we have something for everyone & unlike Skyfall the pace is relentless. There are so many references to the past I couldn't possibly list them all (for those who remember From Russia With Love the fight on the train is one of them). It is intelligently written, the entire cast are magnificent, the special effects are spot on ... they don't detract from the plot, are not OTT, & have that instant wow factor ... this is Bond back at it's best ... or at least what I expect from a Bond film. I found the ending both poignant & a tad sad as it seems this will definitely be Daniel's final appearance as the man with a license to kill ... I would go as far to say this should be the final ever Bond film in the franchise because I cannot see them ever topping this. If you have ever been a fan of the "real" James Bond as depicted in Ian Fleming's novel you are in for a real treat but if you are a fan of the Roger Moore era I suggest you give it a wide berth because this is Bond back at his grittiest best!

The Wand Company Twelfth Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver Universal Remote Control
The Wand Company Twelfth Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver Universal Remote Control
Offered by Gadget Grotto

3.0 out of 5 stars Must Try Harder, 7 Oct. 2015
I already own two Wand Company remotes ... both the excellent 10th Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver & the Star Trek Original Series Phaser. Let me start by making one thing clear ... I don't buy these as remotes (the ones I have are complicated enough) but purely to use in the FX mode as the prop replicas cost a fortune & normally don't make a sound & I find the Character Option toys cheap & tacky ... yes I'm in my mid- fifties & refuse to grow up. The one official prop replica I do own is the 11th/12th Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver so I thought you might find my comparison interesting as my proper prop replica will never leave the house as I needed a second mortgage to buy it! I never was interested in the original Wand Company 11th Doctor Remote as it didn't extend which apparently was everyone's major beef as well. The 10th Doctor's Remote put all those issues to bed. They borrowed David Tennant's leaving gift (his personal sonic from the show ... the only one he hadn't managed to break). They made a 3-D scan of it so it is completely screen prop accurate ... placed it in beautiful case with Gallifreyan writing etched on the interior rubber housing & then placed it in a superb outer box. They modified the instruction leaflet after the complaints of what came with the 11th Doctor Remote (it was really messy/complicated) & even provided a metal circular stand complete with Gallifreyan writing again with a hidden magnet to match the one in the black base of the sonic so you could display it vertically (the only let down was the crackle finish but for the money it was superb). The pièce de résistance ... it extended! The niggle now after the launch of the 10th Doctor's remote which came with a USB charger (so did the Star Trek Phaser) is why have they not upgraded this version as well after going to all the trouble of making it extendable/flickable?? I am told the original 11th Doctor's remote ate batteries for fun (a warning ... all Wand Company remotes as far as I am aware do not shut down in FX mode for 30 minutes... you need to take it out of FX mode to turn it off & then hold the button down for a few seconds). I bought my other two remotes from Amazon but for some reason the BBC unfairly stole the march by releasing this one on their site almost a month earlier? Anyway enough of the preamble & down to business ... what is it like? To say I was mildly disappointed would be an understatement. First off it comes in an average cardboard box with a cheap plastic inner to hold the device & the stand ... no metal stand this time with a magnet but a very cheap looking see through piece of plastic that is supposed to be of Gallifreyan design ... it's pants. Next up (according to the Wand Company) they went to so much trouble redesigning this new model from top to bottom you now have the flick action but because they use some sort of mirror system when it is fully extended the emitter tip doesn't light up as it should … the emitter tip is also much smaller than the real deal & shiny … the prop replica has a frosted appearance … It just doesn't look right. They have addressed the problem with the instruction leaflet but there is no USB charger! It takes two AAA batteries (not included) & the faffing around to insert/change them is a nightmare ... you have to unscrew the collar above the rubber mid-section (yes I did say rubber) then remove two tiny screws so if you don't possess a miniature screwdriver set then you can go no further ... imagine that if you had bought it for an impatient child! The other thing about the screw off collar to reveal the tiny screws is it makes it look nothing like the screen prop replica which actually tapers in. It is fatter than the real deal ... the copper is far too shiny & the lead parts far too dull. This being the third item I have brought from the Wand Company I am quite shocked as to how little attention has been paid to detail. It seems (I don't know because I don't own the original) that they have just redesigned the top half so it extends but tried to save money by putting it in cheap packaging including the plastic stand & not changing it to a USB charged product?!? To summarise it looks like those Paradigm Daleks ... it's fatter than it should be & doesn't really appeal to a true Whovian if you just want it in FX mode. I hope my ramblings were of some help to somebody somewhere.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 15, 2016 10:21 PM BST

One More For The Fans
One More For The Fans
Offered by A2Z Entertains

2.0 out of 5 stars Now What The Hell Do We Have Here???, 28 Aug. 2015
This review is from: One More For The Fans (Audio CD)
Having been a lifelong Skynyrd fan ... I actually caught their first major UK show at Knebworth in '76 (over 200,000 people attended) & they blew every act, including the Rolling Stones, off stage ... Ronnie walked out bare foot (on what was latter to be discovered as the tongue of the Stones infamous logo once they had eventually inflated the lips) and said "I 'aint wearing no shoes because I wanna feel the stage burn beneath my feet!". From then on there was no turning back .. you were mesmerised & hooked ... the raw power was palatable! I have grown to like the recent resurgence in the band's music (after some pretty dire attempts at a comeback) especially God & Guns & Last of a Dyin' Breed but in context to this review the excellent Live From Freedom Hall. This concert is an absolute car crash compared to that with the exception of Gov't Mule/Warren Haynes intervention. It sounds like a really poor tribute band, especially Blackberry Smoke, who were one of the few guest artists I really knew & was most looking forward to hearing ... all I can say is bad song choice, really poor delivery ... in fact that could be said for almost all the guest artists ... even the great Gregg Allman is sounding like the passage of time has taken it's toll on his vocals. What amazed me the most is when THE actual Lynyrd Skynyrd take to the stage for the last three numbers they sound well below par too in comparison to the aforementioned live album. I got this on mp3 after reading the reviews about how they had made such a mess of the DVD/Blu-ray by cutting Sweet Home Alabama in half & running the closing credits over it to see if it was worth stretching to the cost ... I actually feel ripped off now!!! If you are a life long Skynyrd fan like me my advice would be to to walk straight on by. The remaining members still alive are talking about making new music ... I would wait for that.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2015 11:09 AM GMT

Holding All the Roses'
Holding All the Roses'

2.0 out of 5 stars Who Stole Blackberry's Smoke?, 21 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Holding All the Roses' (Audio CD)
As a young teenager during the seventies I feel blessed to have grown up when British rock ruled the world & then some! I was at an open air gig at Knebworth in 1976 (I think) headlined by the Rolling Stones but also on the bill was a band called Lynyrd Skynyrd who for me just blew every other act off stage despite their early afternoon billing. After listening to The Whippoorwill I thought we had someone that could challenge for that Southern crown ... these guys were damn good ... the songs were steeped in Southern Comfort ... the lyrics had meaning & they sang from their soul. They certainly weren't the most productive band out there but this seemed to put them in good stead as their last studio album should have shot them to superstardom! The live album that followed was good but didn't stray too far from the well worn path & the amount of screams of "Yeah baby!" were really starting to grate which brings us to this new fodder which I really don't know how to describe. Roses thrive in manure & this album stinks with the exception of a couple of tracks that lift it out of the mire (hence it got one extra star than I was going to give it). The album sounds like an over produced Kiss album on a bad day. The first track sounds more like the Doobie Brothers than Blackberry Smoke ... now don't get me wrong I love the Doobie's but this wasn't at all what I was prepared for. The whole album is full of jangly guitars & lazy lyrics ... it is a combination of over produced ballads & rock 'n' roll pop songs in the Steve Miller vein. I love Steve Miller too but again this is not what I was expecting from BS ... in fact their intials just about sum this album up as it is total BS! "Too High" sounds like John Denver on drugs ... "Payback's a Bitch" which was spat out with bile on the preceeding live album again suffers from disastrous production & feels more like an Eagles "Life In The Fast Lane" mix ... "Lay It All on Me" would not sound out of place on a Kenny Rogers album & the only real track of merit (and that 'aint that good) is "Fire in the Hole" where they actually swear!!! It seems this band peaked with "The Whippoorwill" which is a terrible shame but do yourself a favour & don't take my word for it ... listen to samples of the tracks before you part with your hard earned cash. It seems their decision to leave Southern Ground and sign with Rounder Records has been a massive mistake as the band are now unrecognisable & this album is an absolute train wreck!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 19, 2015 2:51 PM GMT

Metal Enamel Pin Badge Doctor Dr. Who Seal of Rassilon (Rasillon)
Metal Enamel Pin Badge Doctor Dr. Who Seal of Rassilon (Rasillon)
Offered by Mainly Metal

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Oct. 2014
Prompt delivery to France. Products as described & high qualiy. No complaints here.

Doctor Who Dalek Patrol Ship and Figure
Doctor Who Dalek Patrol Ship and Figure
Offered by Home Leisure Stores

3.0 out of 5 stars Another Missed Opportunity By Character Options, 27 July 2014
Once again Character Options have missed a trick but let's start with the positives. The 'pilot' dalek is wonderfully detailed with the unique colouring of the black/grey head & intermittent side panels plus it is fully posable which surprised me for a 3.75" figure. The firing canon is extremly powerful & the whole thing looks quite splendid in it's exploded view. Now onto the negatives. This is supposed to be a replica of the Patrol Ships used in the Time War & the panels extended open are supposed to close to make one huge dalek protecting it's pilot which would have looked great ... it doesn't ... you are stuck with it in the exploded view which sort of defeats the object. The panels pop off far too easily (just a plastic ball joint holds them in place) & I can foresee after a few months of removing & replacing them they will simply become loose & fall off. The projectile that fits into the firing cannon is so obviously plastic (the colour dosen't help) it spoils the overall look of the model. Another failing is that on the interior floor of the Patrol Ship are two little slots that the pilot daleks side wheels fit into to hold it in position. The problem is where they are situated because once you place the pilot in position his plunger arm extends beyond the control panel to operate the ship so how is he supposed to work the controls? Little details like this frustrate me & show how little thought or care was put into the design. In a child's hands this would probably not last more than a few days, maybe a couple of weeks if you are really lucky so I am completely confused as to who their target market is ... as a display piece it works fine once you remove the cheap looking plastic projectile but if used as a toy not only is the durability an issue but the projectile from the firing canon could easily cause serious injury to another child or a pet ... it packs quite a punch! To me this could have been so much better but isn't that always the case with Character Options? I wanted to award it 2.5 stars really because it falls between two stools & really doesn't satisfy either. If this was a school report it would read "must try harder".

Man of Steel [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Man of Steel [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Henry Cavill

5.0 out of 5 stars The Man Of Steel Gets A Marvel Make-over, 15 Dec. 2013
To do this review properly I thought it necessary to go back the the origins of the "superhero" & the battle between DC (Detective Comics to give it it's full title) & Marvel Comics. If you grew up in an age as I did these were absolute gems to read as a child & it soon became clear you would be making a distinctive choice between which of these titles you preferred (pocket money would only stretch so far in those days). My loyalties fell strictly in the Marvel camp, & still do to a degree, because with Marvel Comics the characters had so much more substance. Eschewing such comic book tropes as secret identities and even costumes at first, having a monster as one of the heroes, and having its characters bicker and complain in what was later called a "superheroes in the real world" approach totally won me over. So let's take a look at Superman's origins. Here was a guy from another planet, he wore a laughable costume (although at the time it was totally acceptable as it was based on the attire of the strong man in a circus), was totally invincible plus super strong (unless you had a small lump of green rock handy), had x-ray/laser vision, could move faster than a speeding bullet, & he could fly!!! Now through a child's eyes this was magnificent but as an adult seemed totally ridiculous, especially his holier then thou image ... change was needed.

To be honest I would like to thank all those people who spouted forth such negative comments as if spitting out vile in their reviews because I had absolutely zero expectations before watching this film & I have to say I was totally blown away. I would go as far to say this is the best re-boot of any franchise I have seen to date. Marvel were taking the higher ground with the like of X-Men, Iron Man, etc. & DC were starting to fall desperately behind so what do they do? They take Superman & give him the full Spiderman treatment. He has angst, he gets angry, he doesn't fit in at school, he is unsure if the world will accept him as a hero or a villain, he's adopted & is forced to watch his adoptive father die, & at last he has a costume that is cool!! It absolutely works on every level & I have no idea why people are complaining about there being too much action ... are these the same people who complain about long winded plot build ups meaning we don't get to see enough of our hero in action?

I thought the mixture of action, plot, & flashbacks (to fill in the gaps for people unaware of Superman's past but kept thankfully short) were spot on. You have a stellar cast of whom none dissapoint & the choice of the relatively unknown Henry Cavill to take the lead for me was a stroke of genius. He manages to make Superman believable again explaining that it is not an "S" on his chest at all but a symbol from his planet that means hope, he can grow a beard & his hair can get ruffled.

If you love films of this genre my advise is plain & simple give it a go ... pay no attention to all the negativity surrounding this movie. I hope you will be as pleasantly surprised as I was.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 1, 2014 9:00 PM GMT

Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor - 50th Anniversary Special [Blu-ray 3D]
Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor - 50th Anniversary Special [Blu-ray 3D]
Dvd ~ Matt Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Spoiler Alert!, 29 Nov. 2013
Very rarely in life when something is hyped up so much for such a lengthy period of time can it actually deliver, in fact it's more likely the case that the lower your expectations the more chance you are going to be pleasantly surprised. Given the diverse history of Doctor Who, the plethora of script writers, the myriad of different characters who played the role (often poles apart) whoever was going to be given the task of writing the 50th Anniversary Special was on a hiding to nothing. So hats off to Mr Moffat on a truly stupendous roller coaster ride of an episode in the life of the most brilliant sci-fi series ever to grace this planet. It's not without it's faults & it was never going to please everybody but I for one was delighted to have some of the gaps filled in with the mini prequel showing Paul McGann's regeneration (included in this set) & John Hurt's regeneration in the show itself. The best kept secret of the surprise cameo appearances of the 13th Doctor & Tom Baker at the end was a stroke of genius. Yes, it would have been great to see Christopher Eccleston reprise his role but he has always made it abundantly clear he was never a fan of Doctor Who, this was an acting job he did with great relish eight years ago & he politely declined to take any part in a celebration of a show he never watched as a child. My other regret is this wasn't given the full movie treatment & a timing to match. I truly believe it would of benefited greatly if it was closer to a two hour affair as the plot did seem rushed at points & certain characters would have benefited for having their roles fleshed out. There, I hope I have managed to lower your expectations just a little if you haven't already seen it so you can enjoy it for what it is ... a love letter from a fan to Doctor who. Here's to the next 50 years.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2015 2:29 PM GMT

Doctor Who: The Complete Box Set - Series 1-7 [Blu-ray]
Doctor Who: The Complete Box Set - Series 1-7 [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Christopher Eccleston

2.0 out of 5 stars To Buy Or Not To Buy ... It's Not Really A Question, 21 Oct. 2013
OK, let's assume like me you are a huge Doctor Who fan to be even considering purchasing this new box set with it's ridiculously high price tag & have a closer look at what is actually included:-

Newly remastered in 1080p resolution for the first time:-
* Doctor Who: The Complete First Series, starring Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper
* Doctor Who: The Complete Second Series, starring David Tennant and Billie Piper
* Doctor Who: The Complete Third Series, starring David Tennant and Freema Agyeman
* Doctor Who: The Complete Fourth Series, starring David Tennant and Catherine Tate

Also included in1080i Resolution:-
* Doctor Who: The Complete Specials, starring David Tennant
* Doctor Who: The Complete Fifth Series, starring Matt Smith and Karen Gillan
* Doctor Who: The Complete Sixth Series, starring Matt Smith, Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill
* Doctor Who: The Complete Seventh Series, starring Matt Smith, Karen Gillan, Arthur Darvill, and Jenna-Louise Coleman

THE BONUS DISC THAT WAS ADVERTISED ON THE OFFICIAL BBC WEB SITE AS BEING INCLUDED HAS BEEN OMITTED FROM THE UK VERSION & THE TRANSFER OF SERIES 1-4 TO 1080p HAS MADE THEM RUN SLOWER PLUS THE TECHNICAL PROBLEMS THAT EXISTED ON THE COMPLETE SPECIALS STILL EXIST.

That's what you get for your money & if you do the maths, considering each of the "Complete Series" on Blu-ray has at least 5 discs, this set should contain 40 discs minimum instead of 35 so that gives you a good indication of how much bonus material has been condensed or completely removed. So let's view the alternatives as this can never be considered a "complete" box set without the 50th Anniversary Special ... why it wasn't included for this obscene amount of money is beyond me (obviously we also have "The Time Of The Doctor" now & the new series to look forward to as well).

First up you have the beautifully designed "Series 1 - 4 Collection [DVD]" 23 disc box set complete with a well produced, fully illustrated "Series Guide" colour booklet & a whole plethora of extras. My belief is given the year this was released that the DVD format is about as good as it gets as the source tapes do not lend themselves to a Blu-ray production (you can't improve on what wasn't there to begin with) & the remastering of these earlier episodes will do nothing to enhance your viewing enjoyment, available now on Amazon for £35.
Also currently available, you have "The Complete Specials [Blu-ray]" (be very careful with this one as there are numerous reported problems with the attempt to transfer it from SD to HD which apparently still exist so if you already own the original DVD format then I suggest you stick with it), "The Complete Series 5 [Blu-ray]", The Complete Series 6 [Blu-ray]", & The Complete Series 7 Blu-ray". Each set has a whole host of extras & the total price for all four complete sets is £72.44. Finally you have "The Day of the Doctor - 50th Anniversary Special [Blu-ray 3D]" now at the reduced price of £8.75. This means you will have a superb collection without the omission of the 50th Anniversary Special, a damn sight more extras than is available here, far better packaging, & all for the total price of £116.19 saving you a staggering £71!!!

For me personally this is a no brainer ... it is horrendously over priced with a lot less content than if you bought each of the complete series individually ... you can't really improve on series 1 - 4 because they weren't shot in HD to begin with, the same can be said for all but a couple of episodes regarding "The Complete Specials", also it's worth bearing in mind your Blu-ray player upscales the DVD's for you anyway. We are talking a BBC TV series here which obviously doesn't have the budget of a huge Hollywood blockbuster. I truly believe there will be better "sets" available in the future, perhaps finally with all the faults ironed out. As the Doctor might well say "Time is our friend" so please be patient & think very carefully before you get drastic with your plastic. Allons-y!
Comment Comments (12) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2013 11:54 PM GMT

Doctor Who: The 4th Doctor Time Capsule [DVD]
Doctor Who: The 4th Doctor Time Capsule [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tom Baker

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear ..., 31 July 2013
Having been born in 1960 I grew up with Patrick Troughton who will always be my Doctor, I think most people will agree their first Doctor tends to provoke the fondest memories. I became disillusioned when Jon Pertwee took over the role, the Doctor exiled to Earth because of budget cuts at the BBC so we hardly ever got to see the interior of the TARDIS, the transference from B & W to colour which really did show up the cheapness of the production & poor special effects, a silly yellow car called Bessie, & a ridiculous flying car (it looked just like "Supercar" from Gerry Anderson's show of the same name) called WHO1 eventually did for me. The reason for this preamble is because of J.P. I missed most of Tom Baker's tenure. A friend of mine who was a huge fan convinced me to take a fresh look as he couldn't find enough superlatives to describe the fourth Doctor so I eventually gave it another go only to be confronted with a stupid tin dog called K-9! I dipped in & out after that giving each of the new Doctor's a fair trial & thought Paul Mcgann did a superb job in "The Movie". The re-launch in 2005 truly re-ignited my love affair with the show & I have adored the betrayal of the Doctor by all three of the latest incumbents. I thought this "Time Capsule" would be a fantastic way to finally embrace Tom Baker as "The Doctor" as in hindsight I gave up on him far too readily. So I carefully watched Luke Spillane's unboxing video to get a detailed breakdown of the content, investigated the price of the items separately, read numerous reviews (both good & bad) and came to this conclusion ... you are really paying the bulk of your money for a fancy box, a printed letter, & some art cards. I will try not to cover too much of the same ground as other reviewers have done, but really, a sonic screwdriver that isn't screen accurate & an exclusive figure that isn't exclusive at all (just pull the head off the third & fourth Doctor's figures & swap them over) is a bit cheeky to my way of thinking. This isn't an introduction or immersion experience for the fourth Doctor at all but a bunch of old tat & a bit of new tat ... Time Capsule indeed ... oh, & make out it's a limited edition so people don't have the time to make an informed decision before parting with their hard earned cash. If you were thinking of spending this type of money my advice would be to pay a visit to Rubbertoe Replicas website (the official prop makers for Doctor Who) for some real gems or maybe wait until the end of October for the new 10th Doctor sonic remote which is a 100% screen prop accurate reproduction & unlike the 11th Doctor sonic remote currently available this one extends (plus it isn't a cheap plastic toy) ... you are probably already aware of all these facts but just in case some of you aren't I thought it worth mentioning. Very nice looking box though ;-)
Comment Comments (12) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2013 12:42 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3