Profile for Don Logan > Reviews

Don Logan

Catch Me Daddy
Catch Me Daddy
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars It is grim and bleak but riveting and excellent. The script and acting are top notch and ..., 31 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Catch Me Daddy (Blu-ray)
This film caught me by surprise. Initially a slow burner, once the "chase" starts the tension is relentless. It is grim and bleak but riveting and excellent. The script and acting are top notch and the direction and attention to detail also first class. Particularly like the inclusion of the drug dealers family portrait in his kitchen. Look at how it is set out, especially the dealers face and lack of empathy with his son.

What We Do in the Shadows
What We Do in the Shadows
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars A comedy classic. The mock documentary format has been ..., 22 Nov. 2015
A comedy classic. The mock documentary format has been done many times before but the subject matter is inspired. The writing riffs on vampire convention to hysterical effect and the film gets stronger as it goes on. My only complaint is that it's too short.

Need for Speed
Need for Speed

1.0 out of 5 stars Straight to the Scrap Yard., 4 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Need for Speed (Blu-ray)
The worst film I have seen this year. I gave up after an hour and ten minutes as life is too precious to be wasted on rubbish like this. The story and script are drivel. The dialogue is clunky and the characters are no dimensional. And for a film about lightning fast super cars, it's really, really slow. By the point I switched off we had still to get to the actual race that it purports to centre around and bar a couple of poorly filmed car races, nothing of real note had happened. It makes Fast and Furious look like Lawrence of Arabia. Really disappointed in Aaron Paul. I thought he would be a bit more discerning about what he puts his name to but money must have turned his head.

Wake in Fright
Wake in Fright

5.0 out of 5 stars Have another drink.........., 21 July 2014
This review is from: Wake in Fright (Blu-ray)
An intoxicating trip into an alluring hell on earth for an aloof school teacher. Temptation presents itself in many forms - gambling, sex and especially alcohol and our protagonist unravels quicker than Lindsay Lohan. The cast, especially the towns residents, are superb. It's a risqué, dangerous and rebellious film which also looks fantastic. A cast iron classic which now deserves all the belated platitudes.

Big Wheel and Others
Big Wheel and Others

1.0 out of 5 stars The Emperors New Clothes, 22 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Big Wheel and Others (Audio CD)
I started reading Q magazine about 28 years ago, have never missed an issue since then and consider it a great source for developing new music tastes. There are many artists who I love that Q has introduced me to. Their review for Big Wheels and Others was possibly the best review I have read for an album in those 28 years. Five stars and perfect. Cass McCombs could do no wrong in the reviewers ears so naturally, I purchased it. On the first listen, I was massively disappointed. Lo fi production and meandering, bland songs and way too many songs, given the poor quality of them. I surmised that this would be a "grower". I have plenty of albums which I now adore where I had to invest time and perserve with to "get it". So I persevered and listened to it again five more times. It has not progressed one iota with me. It's still dreadfully underwhelming and crushingly less than average and I now realise this wont change so I wont be playing it ever again and the voyage of discovery that I embarked on with Cass has run aground. Anybody want the album? Free except for postage and packing.................
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2015 3:19 PM GMT

Sunny Side Up
Sunny Side Up
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars This Years Unexpected Gem, 5 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Sunny Side Up (Audio CD)
Firstly, I don't have Paolo's first album and bought this based on the interesting crits in the press, Ethan John's involvement and instantly liking Candy when I heard it on the radio.
It's the best album I've bought this year by a country mile. Lyrically and musically it is at worst interesting but at best mesmerising. His vocals range from almost unintelligable to falsetto but what a voice!! I find it difficult to comprehend that he is only in his early 20's and the purveyor of previously safe/inoffensive songs such as Jenny Don't Be Hasty. This album swaggers, lilts, flirts and beguiles. On many songs he gambles on the arrangements. You'll laugh at the audacity of it but he succeeds in every instance. Most of all though the album exudes supreme confidence in his ability and this is in no way misplaced. Buy it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 27, 2010 4:39 PM GMT