Profile for Iain McClumpha > Reviews

Content by Iain McClumpha

Iain McClumpha (Glasgow, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Failed, 21 Jan. 2013
These are meant to be worn over glasses and have a small vent above the lens to supposedly stop them steaming up. I tried them once and they steamed up with seconds. Not what I expected... and they became redundant almost instantly.

Centurion [DVD]
Centurion [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Fassbender
Offered by rsdvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 21 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Centurion [DVD] (DVD)
First off, I think some of the 1-pointers are looking at this film as some sort of historical epic based on years of research and painstaking translation of official Roman documents. It isn't: it's an action film. If you've ever seen any of Neil Marshall's films before you would know what to expect.

People have commented on the amount of gore involved... I'm not one for gory, violent movies, but somehow with this film it doesn't put me off at all. "Saving Private Ryan" and "300" are more violent and way more gory. All the violence does is to show how brutal and downright nasty the warfare of the period was. Combat isn't about gents just bopping each other on the chin, shooting from a safe distance with firearms or bows, or lobbing shells at each other... combat is nasty, brutal and bloody.

The actors are all excellent, carrying the film along nicely. The story, considering the genre, is straight forward yet engaging... it doesn't pretend to be an overblown epic like "Quo Vadis" or "Gladiator", so no flowery dialogue about mystical fields and dead families. These guys are soldiers of Rome, so have soldierly dialogue. I suppose if you wanted accuracy you could have them all speaking Latin.

I love this film, and it ticks all of the right boxes for me. Loud, fast and furious.

Tamiya 1: 48 WWII US Army GI Set (Japan import)
Tamiya 1: 48 WWII US Army GI Set (Japan import)
Offered by CAZADO

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice downscaling exercise, 10 Jan. 2013
When I knew that Tamiya were going to produce a 1/48 range of figures I suspected that they would scale down their 1/35 figures... and that's what they've done. That's not a complaint... I'm impressed that they have managed to retain a lot of the detail. Their British Infantry set is likewise beautifully done.

I'm not really sure why some reviewers feel they were cheated. These are not ready-made toy figures, but precision-moulded plastic model kits. I think some people really need to pay more attention to what they are buying.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 1, 2016 7:56 PM GMT

Italeri 6508 Land Rover 109 WB 1:35 Plastic Kit
Italeri 6508 Land Rover 109 WB 1:35 Plastic Kit
Offered by MARKETTIAMO

5.0 out of 5 stars Return of an old friend, 10 Jan. 2013
As the title says, this model has been away for a while but has returned in a shiny new box.
This is quite an old kit now, originally made by Italeri in the late 70s/early 80s... despite that it's a still an excellent kit.
The Italeri boxing was around for a looong time, and was popular with those modelling the modern British Army. The kit did have some annoying areas though.
* It was left hand drive.
* The rear cross-member was for a civilian vehicle even though we were given a military front bumper.
* The tyres had the incorrect tread.
* It had an external fuel cap niche and single fuel tank.

Then it vanished... only to reappear in the early 21st century as a Revell kit. Somehow I missed that release.
Both the original and Italeri releases are pretty expensive these days... so when I heard Italeri were reissuing it I was overjoyed... which turned to horror. The new release was over £20!!
I had to get one to see whether this was the same kit... and it is. Well, 98% of it is.
What we have now is a much more accurate MoD Land Rover.
* It is now RIGHT hand drive.
* The fuel filler on the right rear wing has been filled in.
* The sides of the tilt have had the windows removed (although there is still a ghost), and a new rear flap.
* New rear cross-member with accurate bumperettes.

However, it still has the awful tyres... so time for another set of Accurate Armour ones.
I can't understand the massive price rise though... came as quite a shock.
Anyway, welcome back old friend.

Airfix 1:32 Scale Ford Escort Mk I Model Medium Starter Set
Airfix 1:32 Scale Ford Escort Mk I Model Medium Starter Set

3.0 out of 5 stars Should be retired, 7 Jan. 2013
This kit is now over 40 years old, and it's starting to show. The packaging leaves a lot to be desired too, I've built a few of these and the bodyshell always suffers from being squashed and distorted.

Unlike the other reviewers I don't see any issues with the fiddly parts... if you want something easy to build and finish without any work buy a ready-painted snap kit. As a modeller of some 40+ years I am well-used to older models and their quirks, so this doesn't really fill me with horror. You want horror... try a Frog kit.

It really is about time the old model was retired though. The moulds are wearing out and the resultant kit is past its best. Hornby (Airfix's owner) have a Scalextric Mk1 Escort. It would be better to use that as the basis of a new kit, like the Mini, Fiesta and Aston Martin... all have state of the art tooling and production methods. The old Escort needs a replacement.

Futuristic Illustrations for Kids of the Showa Era
Futuristic Illustrations for Kids of the Showa Era

5.0 out of 5 stars A little gem, 8 Dec. 2012
When I ordered this I thought it was a larger book... that'll teach me not to look at the information on the product page, lol.
That aside this is a wonderful little book, full of the sort of artwork that used to grace Japanese SF model kits in the 60s and 70s, but were in kids' magazines.

The book is broken down into separate themes, such as Robots, Disasters, Space, etc... and features full colour artwork along those lines... as well as some film posters. Design-wise the futuristic creations are pretty much what we would expect... well, those of us who grew up in the 60s and 70s anyway... but the twist is seeing Japanese markings on spacecraft and JAL on the rocket planes. Familiar and different at the same time. Nice.

The text, sadly, is all Japanese (apart from a blurb on the rear cover flap). I can read a little Japanese, but nowhere near enough to enjoy what is written in the descriptive parts of the chapters.

If there is a negative aspect it's the size. While the artwork is beautiful, the size means they can't really be enjoyed to their best advantage, and the way they cross over double pages mean that some of it is lost in the spine.

All in all a good little book, but really should have been bigger. I may get the other Showa era books from this series.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfy, 17 Oct. 2012
I needed some new footwear for my upcoming holiday so I ordered these as they were similar in style to a pair I really liked a few years ago.

They are very comfortable, quite light and thanks to the velcro straps easy and quick to remove... ideal for airports and for entering Japanese houses.

Ideal for me. Will they last long? Who can tell, but on first impressions I am more than satisfied.

Kubik Evo 8GB MP3 Player with Radio and Expandable MicroSD/SDHC Slot - Black
Kubik Evo 8GB MP3 Player with Radio and Expandable MicroSD/SDHC Slot - Black
Offered by ARC UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little device, but..., 6 Oct. 2012
I have to say that as an MP3 player I can't fault this little gem.

Other people have waxed lyrical about it, so I won't repeat it... however there is something which has confounded me... the website where you download the converter for videos. [...] is inaccessible. So I have to look elsewhere, or have no vids to watch.

That grumble aside I love this MP3 player!

Firefly - The Complete Series [DVD] [2003]
Firefly - The Complete Series [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Nathan Fillion

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 10 Sept. 2012
The title for my review says it all really. I saw the feature film "Serenity" first, and was so impressed that I bought the series... and what a series. Not since "Farscape" have I found an ensemble cast of wonderful characters... from Mal, through Zoe, Wash, Jayne, Kaylee, Book, Simon, Inara and River, through to Serenity herself, all are characters you come to care about and like... even Jayne has his good points.

The film didn't have the same cowboys and spaceships feel that the series has, but I just lapped it up. I mean why not? Fashions change, and cultures frequently evolve, so why not a fusion of Chinese/Wild West with Spaceships? I've seen dafter concepts.

The acting is superb, the effects top drawer and the country music not as jarring as I expected.

Why this series was cancelled is a mystery to me... worse series seem to go on forever. Why the viewers didn't tune in is also a mystery... considering it was a DVD hit! Whatever the reasons we have 14 episodes and a film to enjoy.

TV execs are morons.

Airfix 1:72 Scale Freedom Fighter Model Small Starter Set
Airfix 1:72 Scale Freedom Fighter Model Small Starter Set

3.0 out of 5 stars Should be retired, 4 Sept. 2012
I bought this kit to convert to a science fiction subject based on the 1960s TV series "Stingray", so accuracy and detail weren't at the top of my list, however this model isn't for the faint-hearted. The parts fit only where they touch... the nose cone is fractionally wider than the fuselage it fits onto, for example.
It first came out in 1967, and all I can say is that the moulds must have been worked to death. This model should really be replaced by a new tooling, or a shared-tool agreement with another manufacturer. If you are serious about building it, have your Revell Plasto, a selection of sandpapers and a sanding block handy... you'll need them.
It took me two evenings just to fill and sand this relic before I even started on the reworking!

I have no complaints about the seller, only the quality of the actual model kit itself, and sadly that's Airfix's fault. The paint I binned, and the brush is for my liquid poly and plastic weld.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12