Profile for The Kinsella Bunch > Reviews

Content by The Kinsella Bunch

The Kinsella Bunch "The Kinsella Bunch" (Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Adolf Hitler - The Private Voice of Hitler
Adolf Hitler - The Private Voice of Hitler
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars A Sane, Rational Mass Murderer!, 3 Jun. 2012
Some people see a demon lurking behind every wall. The danger for people who try to think rationally through things is to see no demons at all.

To watch the private videos of Hitler, knowing that lip-sync experts have added words to those silent movies, one is shown that Hitler was actually a sane person. At least it would seem from the videos that Hitler was able to hold normal, sane and even lighthearted conversations. That he was not simply an obsessed maniac, but a rational and logical human being with feelings and a certain soft side towards those whom he loved.

What this seems to suggest quite strongly, therefore, is that normal human beings take on evil philosophical ideas or ideologies. Having laid the groundwork, the foundation, this faulty premise is then built upon using reason and logic. The results are disastrous, ideas and philosophies have consequences after all, and evil is the result.

Of course you cannot even have a absolute rule of what evil and goodness are without an ultimate authority. That ultimate authority can be none other than God. Anything less is just arbitrary, and is up for reinterpretation, or whoever wields the controls at the time. In this case, Hitler got in control and decided that murder was fine since Jews, homosexuals, blacks and others were less evolved than the Arian race. Evolution thus being another philosophy that yields rotten fruit when taken to its logical conclusion.

Modern examples of sane, rational, logical and intelligent people holding to insane, irrational, illogical ideas would be abortion, homosexuality and population control. All of which are related to procreation, are designed either intentionally or unintentionally to destroy or prevent human life, though of course most homosexuals would not be aware of this, and I wouldn't say for a moment this is the reason they are such, just this is one of the results.

Most people may not want to exterminate Jews anymore, but there is a drive to exterminate unborn babies, especially if they are deemed unfit by society. Euthanasia, population control, contraception and homosexuality all contribute to our present culture of death. Sex is easy, life is cheap.

China is a modern day example of where this horrific, evolutionary ideology leads. It well documented that Chinese officials break into the homes of expectant mothers and perform forced abortions upon them. China does not deny this, it only makes weak apologies yet the horror continues.

I would also recommend: Extravaganzas Of The Third Reich [DVD]

Revelations of Divine Love (Dover Value Editions)
Revelations of Divine Love (Dover Value Editions)
by Julian of Norwich

1.0 out of 5 stars Dover Edition, 31 May 2012
I bought the Dover edition, because at the time it was the cheapest edition. I have bought Dover before, both new and second hand. I have Dover books from the 70's which are still in readable condition. So I am fairly confident when it comes to this budget publisher.

However, I was not pleased with the condition of this book. It may have been the one in the million, but the cover was not aligned with the text of the book and so is partly sticking out.

But for me that was not the worst. The actual translation itself was extremely hard to read. I don't know what made Dover choose this particular translation. From the introduction by the author, he intentionally left the text that way in order for the readers to get some sort of feel for the original. He says the reader with a little work will not have too much trouble to get the gist of the work. I'm not sure if that may have been true 100 years ago, but I had terrible trouble understanding some of the extremely unusual and archaic words. I read the King James Bible and have read other old books, but I found this one very hard and the words and sentence structure very strange.

This is devotional book; for some it may be more of a text to be studied, and this edition may suit them, but if you want to simply read what she wrote in a language you can understand, I strongly suggest the Penguin edition, which is translated beautifully.

Revelations of Divine Love (Penguin Classics)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 20, 2016 5:37 PM BST

The New Morality
The New Morality
by Arnold Lunn and Garth lean

5.0 out of 5 stars Could Have Been Written Today, 24 May 2012
This review is from: The New Morality (Paperback)
"'When I use a word' Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less'

Many contemporary theologians assume that Christianity means just what they choose it to mean, neither more nor less."

-The New Morality, ch.6 p.51

As with all of Lunn's books, as I have discovered, this book could have been written today. It deals with the decline in Christian morality, and with the rise in sexual promiscuity. Having been written in the 60's things were already in full swing.

The chapters do not show who the author so it not entirely possible to know who wrote which, but Lunn was a Catholic and Lean was an Anglican, so you can get an idea from the content of each chapter. In the chapter entitled "Fake-Objectivity" p.12 we find this: "There is no rational basis for integrity in the philosophy of materialism, and it is therefore not surprising that the diminishing influence of religion has an erosive effect on intellectual integrity".

Lunn and his co-author, Garth Lean, document many of the changing views of Christians and denominations of that time especially the Anglican Church and the Quakers. Only now looking back over 50 years can we see how stupid (strong word I know) and short sighted these individuals were being.

What is interesting is his quote in his autobiography "Now I See" written in the early '30's. I will quote from the review i did of that book:

"He quotes one of many of Chesterton's prophetic words on page 128 regarding the suicide of thought, but Lunn was also a prophet in his own right. Written in 1933, this quote (though you really should real the whole paragraph to get the full context) was prophetic: "The old-fashioned prejudice against seducing a virgin was based on the assumption that for the woman such a fate was "worse than death," To our granddaughters in 1960 such a fate will, perhaps, seem not worse than, but as common as death" p.19"

So, what we see in "The New Morality" is Lunn having to now combat what he saw coming as far back as the early 30's. If you read his autobiography, you will know that Lunn saw it coming even before then, and so did Chesterton. It's all tied in with Modernism, something that has infected every segment of Christianity in all denominations.

However, the second half the book does seem a little dated. Most of the quotes come from newspapers from the year prior to the publishing of the book (1964), and the issues raised seem to be temporal and specifically for that time period. The first half of the book is dealing with the same issue but from a more Biblical and philosophical point of view. The first half also deals more with denominations and their changing views which I find very interesting from an historical point of view, but the second half deals with people who I never heard of, and who probably don't matter very much today. This information would be of interest to somebody I'm sure, but I found it a little difficult to get through because it I felt it was somewhat irrelevant to anything I am dealing with today. However, there is one paragraph right near the end where an example of what real moral purity looks like and can achieve in a fallen world. These words are powerful in my estimation and worth repeating here

"Throughout the ages, most sinners have felt in the presence of a saint what Alcibiades felt in the presence of Socrates, 'something which nobody would expect me to feel - a sense of shame'. 'Moral beauty' wrote Alexis Carrel, 'is a very striking phenomenon. He who has contemplated it but once never forgets its aspect. It is far more impressive than the beauty of nature and of science. It gives to those who possess its divine gifts a strange inexplicable power. It increases the strength of the intellect. It establishes peace among men. More than science, art and religious rites, moral beauty is the basis of civilization.'"

Lunn has gone on to glory we hope and pray, and so the battle is left to us to continue. things have only gotten worse, and weirdly enough, people are as blind as ever to the folly of this philosophy. I think it has something to do with our evolutionary mindset where we believe that our ancestors were stupid and we are smart therefore things are getting better and we do not need to consult the older generation or look to history in order to make wise decisions for the future.

I highly recommend this book.

Alexander: The Warrior Saint [DVD] [2008]
Alexander: The Warrior Saint [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Anton Pampushny
Offered by Springwood Media

4.0 out of 5 stars Documents an Important Part of Russian Orthodox History, 22 May 2012
Taking everything into account I did enjoy this movie and I would watch it again. It is a period drama dealing with prince Alexander's state of Novgorod, and the struggles he and his people are dealing with, with the Roman Catholic Swedes to the West and the Mongols to the East. His people are split in two as to who they should do business with. Most say they should side with the Swedes, but they want Alexander to convert to Catholicism. Alexander will not betray his forefathers, and so he fights, and against all odds he wins.

The movie portrays Alexander as a Godly man, and many of his subjects including his wife are portrayed as fairly devout. I found this to be a nice surprise as most movies that deal with religion these days are irreverent and verging on blasphemous.

The movie is in Russian with subtitles (no dubbing), so it is a little hard to follow the script and look at the action, but it's not impossible. If you are not a comfortable reader, then I do not suggest getting it, as I do not think you will enjoy it.

The SFX are OK. For a Russian movie they're not bad, and I have seen much worse. The main character was very good in my opinion and quite believable. Some of the supporting actors were perhaps a little wooden, but overall I enjoyed it.

Apart from your general action, or period drama movie fan, I would say this movie is especially of interest to those interested in Church history.

Your Child 6-12 [DVD] [US Import]
Your Child 6-12 [DVD] [US Import]
Offered by M and N Media US

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Material, 22 May 2012
We were pleasantly surprised by what we received with this DVD. I put a search into Amazon one day for cheap DVDs and this one came up for one penny! And after watching it I can honestly say it was worth every penny too!

The speaker is not the man on the front of the cover (I thought it was, but my wife did not). The speaker is a man from Amish/Mennonite background (though I'd say he is probably more liberal himself). He seems to be a man in his mid 70's, though he is fit looking and his mind is sharp.

The material he presents is wonderful. We learned a lot by sitting at this man's feet for an hour and 40 minutes (the average length of a movie, so not too long). His style is very conversational, peppered with lots of personal stories and anecdotes. It is not heavy sermon type of stuff, and he doesn't leave you with a guilt trip.

The DVD is split up into 3 main parts with a Q & A at the end:

1. Your Last Great Chance

2. The Characteristics of Middle Childhood

3. Key Developmental Areas of Middle Childhood

4. Questions from Parents

I would highly recommend this DVD to anyone with children either in this age group or approaching this age group. Even if you have to store it away for the years to come, or it is something you could watch now to prepare yoursleves and then watch again. We will certainly be watching this again.

A Love That Multiplies: An Up-Close View of How They Make It Work
A Love That Multiplies: An Up-Close View of How They Make It Work
by Michelle Duggar
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Audio Book Review, 26 April 2012
We listened to the audiobook and we really liked it. We are a young, growing family with 6 children under 8 years old. The Duggars have been a constant source of inspiration to us over the years, and so it was only natural that we purchase this. my wife does not get much time for reading, so audiobooks are an excellent resource (thank God for some of these modern conveniences!)

My wife enjoyed the whole book which is read by Michelle Duggar. She didn't really like the first chapter, but I think that's because it recounted much of what is on the DVD series.

If you are a young, large and growing family this book will be a blessing and challenge to you (both mothers and fathers). It is really easily listening, with mostly stories.

I recommend the various DVD series also.

The Permanent Instruction of the Alta Vendita : A Masonic Blueprint for the Subversion of the Catholic Church
by John Vennari

5.0 out of 5 stars Same Evidence Different Interpretations, 23 April 2012
I found this book in a 2nd hand shop the other day and I began reading as it is short. What's funny is that as an evangelical I would hear that the Mason's are using the Roman Catholic Church to corrupt the world. At one point I began to doubt this and all other conspiracy theories (and I still am quite critical of accepting them blindly), but even some hardcore Catholics admit that the Masons have infiltrated, but their spin on it is different. They say it's because the RCC is the one true Church, while the Proddies say it's because it is the Whore of Babylon. Earlier popes recognized and condemned the threat, while later popes embraced. All according to plan apparently.

What's really interesting is that the next pope (after Benedict XVI) is the pope that was prophesied as being the last pope before the end of the world. His name in the prophecy is Petrus Romanus (Roman Peter). The prophecy was found in the 1500's and are by the the Irish Saint Malachy who lived in the 1100s if my memory serves me right. hey have been hotly debated but even more so now as that time approaches.

The Book of the Bee: (Forgotten Books)
The Book of the Bee: (Forgotten Books)
by Unknown

5.0 out of 5 stars Strange but Interesting Reading, 9 April 2012
This is for the Forgotten Books edition.

"The Book of the Bee is a Nestorian Christian sacred history. According to Budge it was written ca. A.D. 1222 by a Syrian bishop named Solomon (Shelêmôn). There is very little about the work itself in the Preface to this edition, it being concerned primarily with the manuscript sources. In the Introduction to the Book of the Cave of Treasures, Budge says that Solomon's object in writing the Book of the Bee was to present 'a full history of the Christian Dispensation according to the Nestorians.'" from Sacred-Texts dot com

This book is full of dodgy (but interesting and entertaining!) Middle Ages type science. The kind you find in the Koran.

It is alos filled with strange (at least to my mind) and extra-Biblical interpretations of explanations of Scripture, which makes for fascinating reading, if only for its oddity. The author certainly was a Fundamentalist! Nor did he hold to any such thing as sola scriptura!

The author refers many times to the teachings and interpretations of the fathers, doctors and orthodox teachers of the Church. He mentions Mar (saint)Isaac who died around the turn of the 8th century, who is considered a saint both of the Nestorian and Eastern Orthodox. You can find out more about him and how he can be considered a saint in both Churches post-schism on wikipedia, and orthodoxwiki. These other teachers would most definitely include pre-schism fathers, but I wonder if later so-called Nestorian writers are included too in these statements.

On page 22 the author seems to make a very interesting allusion to the book of Enoch (which I have read and reviewed here: [...] in which he states "The path of the luminaries is beneath the firmament, and they are not fixed as men have foolishly stated. They are guided by the angels."

He speaks of "The philosophers" in much the same way we speak of scientists today, He is not always favourable toward their views. This is not the case with the fathers and teachers he quotes who's teachings he seems to uphold in the highest regard.

I will add more to the review as I continue reading.

Extravaganzas of the Third Reich - The Power of Mass Suggestion [VHS]
Extravaganzas of the Third Reich - The Power of Mass Suggestion [VHS]

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but Superficial, 21 Mar. 2012
I have an interest in Hitler and in the psychology behind the Third Reich. I was expecting something more from this documentary, especially with a subtitle such as "The Power of Mass Suggestion". What I got was a somewhat interesting documentary on the actual parades and displays of power used by Hitler's army to shock and amaze the world. We are shown how Mussolini was awed by Hitler and how he tried to imitate him, but we are not brought into how these series of events actually made an entire German population of millions buy into the propaganda, we are left still wondering how an entire race of people could be so duped for so long by a few men at the very top. We know these things still happen today, but what I am interested in is how and why, not the mere facts of how the externals were executed.

I give it 3 stars overall, but if the II World War or the Third Reich or Hitler interest you then I would say that this video will still be of interest to you

Final verdict: For hardcore fans only.

Orthodoxy
Orthodoxy
by G. K. Chesterton

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful but perhaps Rambles a Little, 9 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Orthodoxy (Paperback)
I did find this book helpful, however, I found his writing style a little hard to follow. I found he rambles a little. That isn't to say his writings are not intelligent. He was an extremely erudite man who was well up on the philosophies and thought fads of his day. In his late 40's he converted to Catholicism and here gives some defense of religion in general. Mainly I find his point is top say that rationalism and logic doesn't answer all of man's questions. This is exactly what I had wanted to hear, and was looking for some reading that addressed that topic though I didn't know where to look. I do believe I was led by our Lord to this book. And through this book I have begun to think differently about things. That life itself and not just religion holds both logical and illogical standpoints. This paradox is what is found in religion, and religious people should not be afraid to admit. Even the most staunch atheist must admit that ultimately he cannot even absolutely prove his own existence, never mind the existence of the universe! We live in a world of faith and probability, and I believe that probability is strongly on my side when it comes to the existence of God, the Resurrection of Christ and the Church which He established.

Another book I would recommend though Protestant in nature is NEW EVIDENCE THAT DEMANDS A VERDICT: Fully Updated to Answer the Questions Challenging Christians Today. I do not agree with it all, and as with everything you must read it with an open mind. But this book has been a great help to me of recent times just as it was when I first committed my life to Christ.

If you read this review, please pray for me that I may remain faithful to our Lord until the end of my life, that I may stand confident in His presence on that day. And I will pray for you also, for all who pray for me.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20