Profile for F. Henry > Reviews

Mountains: Epic Cycling Climbs
Mountains: Epic Cycling Climbs
by Michael Blann

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent gift, 5 Jan. 2017
Bought as a gift for a cycling fan who particularly enjoys the grand tours. An excellent coffee table book and a well-received present.

On the Edge of Wild Water
On the Edge of Wild Water
by James Morgan-Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars compelling and convincing, 5 Jan. 2017
I was eagerly anticipating the opportunity to read a full-length novel by this author, having previously enjoyed his collection of short stories (Lantern Light), several of which I felt would have worked well as the basis for longer work, as the characterisation was a particular strength of the writing.

I was not disappointed and really enjoyed this book, reading much of it in about three sessions and wanting to keep going, particularly during the denouement. I have always liked books with a mystical/psychological element and some of my favourite books are historical and/or time-shift novels. As a relatively recent arrival in south-west Wales, I found the local history connection fascinating, the Rebecca Riots not having crossed my path previously.

In particular, I admired how the author makes both the present and past eras come to life, as well as cleverly intertwining the two, while never leaving one confused. He makes the reader care about the destinies of characters now and then, which can't be an easy feat to achieve. An intelligent and beautifully-crafted novel. Looking forward to further instalments of the planned quintet!

Total Recall [DVD] [1990]
Total Recall [DVD] [1990]
Dvd ~ Arnold Schwarzenegger
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

3.0 out of 5 stars dated but quite entertaining, 26 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Total Recall [DVD] [1990] (DVD)
Very much of its time and an intriguing concept but it does get a bit silly. We enjoyed the film but eventually sent the DVD to the charity shop, as we couldn't imagine watching it again!

Unforgotten [DVD] [2015]
Unforgotten [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Sanjeev Bhaskar

4.0 out of 5 stars well worth a look, 26 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Unforgotten [DVD] [2015] (DVD)
We missed this series on TV and so bought the DVD, as the series had had decent reviews, and were not disappointed. The drama is compelling, realistic and well acted. The only reason I didn't give five stars was that I found the ending a bit weak but otherwise I would thoroughly recommend it. We sat and watched it in just two sittings, I think, and this made it seem pretty pacy.

[Pack of 5] TECHGEAR® CLEAR LCD Screen Protector Guards With Cleaning Cloth for Apple iPod Nano 7 & Nano 8 [7th & 8th Generations]
Offered by TECHGEAR Solutions

4.0 out of 5 stars good value, useful accessory for new iPod, 26 Mar. 2016
A bit fiddly to place on the screen but I hope these will save the touch screen of my new iPod from too much wear and tear. (My old one still had the navigation wheel so did not require the screen to be swiped constantly, as this one does.) Very useful and, with five in the pack, good value for money.

Black Mass [DVD] [2016]
Black Mass [DVD] [2016]
Dvd ~ Johnny Depp

5.0 out of 5 stars Depp is wonderful in this film, 26 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Black Mass [DVD] [2016] (DVD)
This is a great film, based on the true story of crime lord Bulger's "collaboration" with the FBI in Boston. The characters are all well portrayed and a sense of menace prevails throughout. How Depp did not gain an Oscar for his superb performance in this film, over Mr Di Caprio's CGI nonsense, I have no idea! I first saw this at the cinema in LA on its release in September and it was brilliant on the big screen but this is a film I imagine we will watch many times on DVD. A fascinating episode in US history, worth finding out more about (read the book by Lehr and O'Neill, which is brilliantly researched).

Sport Armband for iPod nano 7G
Sport Armband for iPod nano 7G
Offered by eoutlet-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars good value, 26 Mar. 2016
This is really useful for my new iPod and I use it while running and rowing (indoors). I had a similar one for my old iPod and it lasted really well so I expect this to be similar. Good value for the price, definitely recommend it.

New Art Riot
New Art Riot

4.0 out of 5 stars an early Manics release, 26 Mar. 2016
This review is from: New Art Riot (Audio CD)
I've been a Manics fan since I bought Generation Terrorists, on cassette (makes me feel old!) shortly after its release in 1992 but have only recently purchased this earlier EP. A glimpse into what they were soon to be capable of, this is worth a listen but does not feature any "great" tracks. Needs listening to at high volume, so it's good in the car. One of the published reviews of this EP, from the time, states something along the lines that the band will be good if they get some decent songs - and how! Happy to have it in the collection and very much looking forward to seeing them locally, at Swansea, at the end of May.

Skyfall [DVD]
Skyfall [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Craig
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars good storyline, 26 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Skyfall [DVD] (DVD)
As some other reviewers have noted, this is quite a dark Bond film but it has a good storyline and I like Craig in the role. I enjoyed this film very much. I thought this one and Casino Royale were great, while both Quantum of Solace and the recent Spectre left me cold - too confusing and too reliant on CGI for my liking. Spoiler alert! - Shame to see Judi Dench killed off as M. in this film as she has been superb in the part since her first Bond appearance, in Goldeneye.

No Manifesto: A Film About The Manic Street Preachers [DVD]
No Manifesto: A Film About The Manic Street Preachers [DVD]
Dvd ~ Elizabeth Marcus
Offered by MT MEDIA

4.0 out of 5 stars worth a look for any fan, 15 Nov. 2015
Having been a Manics fan since 1992 as a nerdy teenager but for some reason only having seen them live for the first time at Cardiff Castle last year (great night, by the way!) I have been trying to find out a bit more about the band and music which I love. This is a very interesting behind-the-scenes insight into the band as musicians and individuals, although there is a bit too much time given to fans' opinions, I would say. Definitely worth a look if you like this band and want to know more about them. Due to the release date of this film, quite a lot of the focus is on the Send Away The Tigers album and songs, which is great because, in my opinion, this is one of their somewhat underrated albums and includes a number of brilliant songs.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5