Profile for A. Jevons > Reviews

Content by A. Jevons

A. Jevons "jevosworld" (Cannock Staffordshire UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Jet Boy
Jet Boy
Offered by uniqueplace-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars JetBoy, what a film!, 11 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Jet Boy (DVD)
A brilliant film concerning a bittersweet subject, tremendously moving at times and so well acted by both leading actors especially the young boy!

The Grapes of Wrath
The Grapes of Wrath
by John Steinbeck

5.0 out of 5 stars Wrathful Grapes!, 11 Jun. 2016
This review is from: The Grapes of Wrath (Paperback)
I now realise why this was classed as a masterpiece all those years ago. I first read this when I was in the sixth form and am returning to it now when I am 69, for my book club read! I am enjoying it immensely and love the Joad family who are the main focus. The parallels with today's world and the issues of migrants, jobs, pay and many more modern issues such as zero hours contracts is astonishing and quite scary! The phrase, "Some things don't change, do they?", comes to mind!

We Shall Overcome [DVD]
We Shall Overcome [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bent Mejding
Offered by vivaverve

5.0 out of 5 stars We Shall Overcome- Outstanding, a must see!, 11 Jun. 2016
This review is from: We Shall Overcome [DVD] (DVD)
A fantastic film concerning a very disturbing subject, especially when based on true events! Superbly acted by the leading young man, wonderful!

When I Saw You [DVD]
When I Saw You [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mahmoud Asfa

5.0 out of 5 stars When I Saw You, a commentary., 11 Jun. 2016
This review is from: When I Saw You [DVD] (DVD)
A wonderful film, beautifully acted and so well photographed! Clear subtitles help with telling the story, but hardly needed!

Last Friends (Old Filth Trilogy 3)
Last Friends (Old Filth Trilogy 3)
by Jane Gardam

5.0 out of 5 stars Conclusion to the Trilogy., 4 April 2016
A fascinating conclusion to an interesting trilogy, where many questions raised in the first two books were finally answered in this one.

Of Mice and Men (Penguin Red Classics)
Of Mice and Men (Penguin Red Classics)
by John Steinbeck

5.0 out of 5 stars A Writing Giant, 31 Jan. 2016
Had not read this for many years, loved reading it again for my book club! Loved the characters and settings and reminded me why I love so many of current and past American writers! Steinbeck is certainly a giant among many his style is easily absorbed and makes you want read more.

The Cellist of Sarajevo
The Cellist of Sarajevo
by Steven Galloway

4.0 out of 5 stars Book group review., 15 Jun. 2015
An interesting fiction with reality in the background.It formed the basis of a very good discussion in our book group.

Arthur & George
Arthur & George
by Julian Barnes

5.0 out of 5 stars A thoroughly good read., 11 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Arthur & George (Paperback)
A fascinating book. It is even more fascinating for me as I live very close to where the "outrages " took place. The two main characters are very well drawn and described. A thoroughly good read.

The Snow Goose; And The Small Miracle (Essential Penguin)
The Snow Goose; And The Small Miracle (Essential Penguin)
by Paul Gallico

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonder ful pair of stories., 22 Jun. 2014
Brilliant stories simply written with crisp dialogue and atmospheric descriptions. The small miracle is very moving and can be read again and again giving you uplift!

Shadow
Shadow
by Michael Morpurgo

5.0 out of 5 stars Shadow, what a titile!, 20 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Shadow (Hardcover)
A most rivetting read. A "Couldn't put down" one!! I cried buckets as I have with lots of Michael's stories! So relevant too. The author of "Warhorse" seems to go from strength to strength with his writing, I recommend this book most highly!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3