Profile for John Hannen > Reviews

Content by John Hannen

John Hannen

Raising Steam: (Discworld novel 40) (Discworld series)
Raising Steam: (Discworld novel 40) (Discworld series)

1.0 out of 5 stars a shadow of his past glory, 2 Jan. 2014
With Pratchett's illness giving this book a bad review makes me feel like I'm kicking a puppy - it just seems a nasty thing to do. The problem is though he just can't write any more. I'm not entirely convinced he wrote this to be honest as it just doesn't seem to be his voice - this feels like the next step towards the inevitable guest authors producing work tagged as "terry pratchett's discworld" as the publishers wrings every last penny they can from the franchise.

this follows the same formula as the last few books - Moist V-L gets to introduce a modern utility into the ankh-morpork. And that utility kind of has a magic life of its own. Been there before and there's nothing really new here - no character development, no new insights on our modern institutions when placed in an alien context but frankly the most important thing is that it's just not fun. This was a drag to read when earlier books were just a joy - I often finished them in 24hrs and re-read them a number of times.

to be fair though, the rot had set in a while back. Frankly most of the interesting stuff in discworld has been over-exploited now. The world has been mapped and there are no new interesting corners to explore and it's so weighed down in baggage whereas earlier books were dazzling with their novelty.

The last Pratchett book I really enjoyed was "Nation" - which showed how inventive he could be with a blank canvas. I'm sure this will sell well and find an audience as addicts just try and rediscover than initial hit of the joy which pratchett could produce at will. This is just not the same stuff, it's cut with baking soda and there's hardly any good stuff in there.

Time for us all to move on and remember the good times.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 4, 2014 12:56 AM GMT

BiC For Her Medium Ballpoint Pen (Box of 12) - Black
BiC For Her Medium Ballpoint Pen (Box of 12) - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars a warning to the curious, 17 Aug. 2012
There may be men like me who'll be thinking - hey! a pen's a pen, right? - and will use this product without thinking of the risks involved.

I picked up a couple of packs of these pens in error and rather than return them just used them anyway and I now regret this bitterly. Over recent months I've started to undergo some... well... changes. I can only put these changes down to this product but I'm struggling to cope.

I've started to talk to friends about my feelings and if they're upset by anything, rather than just offer a practical solution and becoming confused when it doesn't seem to calm them, I've been empathising with them instead. Also, I've started to understand what "colour blocking" is and I have more shoes than I've ever owned before.

Worse than that... I've started to wear women's clothes

Yes men, be warned - start off with a woman's pen and you could end up in a pencil skirt
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 18, 2012 9:39 AM BST

Fearne Cotton - The Amazing Story of Britain's Brightest Young TV Star
Fearne Cotton - The Amazing Story of Britain's Brightest Young TV Star
by Nigel Goodall

4.0 out of 5 stars A look into the heart of the entertainment industry, 15 Sept. 2010
I think the real message behind this book has been missed by many so called reviewers.

This book is a savage satire using the central character "fearne" as a lens through which to view modern popular culture. This is a book which really exposes the popular entertainment industry for the empty shell of a sham of a facade that it is.

The encounters with the various celebrities show the lead character to have no self awareness and no understanding of her position in the world. Her life is so empty and of so little consequence that the narrative has to be padded out with the PR constructs that modern society pays far too much attention to already.

This significant and impressive artistic work is a challenge to modern society and so justifies many the shocking excesses that the author indulges in but can be so sickening at times than one often has to close the book and take a shower, reading on is just not an option. This feeling remains with me still and for this I cannot honestly give the book the full 5 stars
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 5, 2010 8:31 PM GMT