Profile for Mike Davey > Reviews

Content by Mike Davey

Mike Davey (St Georges, Telford)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
L'Oreal Paris Men Expert Hydra Power Refreshing Aftershave Splash 125ml
L'Oreal Paris Men Expert Hydra Power Refreshing Aftershave Splash 125ml

5.0 out of 5 stars A balm for a sensitive skin, 16 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am quite getting into L'Oreal products and this one compares favourably with the others I have tried.

It is very refreshing and soothing to the skin and suits me because my skin is easily irritated and this acts as a balm - so will definitely be using more of.

New A-Level Economics: Year 1 & 2 Complete Revision & Practice
New A-Level Economics: Year 1 & 2 Complete Revision & Practice

5.0 out of 5 stars Another superb guide from CGP, 16 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A very chunky guide for a rather chunky subject but which continues CGP's well practised way of clearly laid out contents, detailed revision notes, the expected use of colour for emphasis and a touch of humour, which many seem to like - including me.

14 sections to cover the ground and practice questions throughout with a final chapter on how to gain marks and address the exam itself.

Highly recommended

New A-Level Sociology: AQA Year 1 & AS Complete Revision & Practice
New A-Level Sociology: AQA Year 1 & AS Complete Revision & Practice

5.0 out of 5 stars Another thoroughly helpful guide from CGP, 16 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This revision guide continues in the trusted format of other CGP books. The contents list clearly lay out the sections - Methods, Education, Families etc, there are the expected uses of colour for effective emphases and of course that rather idiosyncratic humour, which irritates some but which I like.

The sections cover the ground in detail, with precise practice questions and advice on what will gain and lose you marks in the very helpful last section on general exam advice.

Highly recommended.

AEG SB7500 7 Series Blender with TruFlow Titanium Blades, 900 W, Stainless Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavy but terrific blender, 28 Mar. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a superb example of the best in German manufacturing and is a major asset in our kitchen now.

IIt is a seriously well made amd chunky machine and blends very well - so it does what is intended. I have to mention that it is heavy. For me this is a definite plus point - because it stays where I originallty placed it - not something that can be said ot some blenders.. But it may be a bit heavy for some. Ii sugggest checking the weight before purchase.

However, performance is great - it blends everthing quickly and effectively and puts many others to shame. Weight aside, I found the jug easy to put in place and pour from.

There are good, basic instructions and a few ideas/recipes but I now have to resist the tmptation to blend everything in the kitchen that seems thatt it migiht work as a smoothie! However, I have just blended an old hard as nails pear and 2 bananas and was pleasantly surprised.....

New GCSE English Language AQA Complete Revision & Practice - for the Grade 9-1 Course

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 28 Mar. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As we have come to expect with CGP Books this revision guide is fairly simple to follow, full of their trademark humour, which on balance is better than the old dry as dust tomes I was brought up with at school. It is well presented in an interesting way and it does what it sets out to do - providing an effective revision and study aid.

As usual, to help cope wtih the sheer mass of material, the style is informal but the learning points are effectively made and the course content seems to be well covered.

This well presented and thorough study aid comes at a modest price for what it does – providing great course support

hef Aid W863 - 3 Pet Food Can Covers
hef Aid W863 - 3 Pet Food Can Covers

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent lids - nuff said!, 13 Jan. 2016
Excellent lids - perfect for the job of keeping our girl's food fresh.
Easy to put on and off. I don't think much more needs to be said. Oh yes - The 3 different colours will also be useful!

Elton John
Elton John

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb early album from Elton, 27 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Elton John (Audio CD)
This is a stunning album which I bought when it was first released. I am exploring early Elton John, having bought the imported version of Rocket Man, a great collection and so thought I would go back to the original albums. In my recent phase of exploring old and loved gems which I had let slip I realised that I had overlooked EJ, whose early work is unbeatable and for me outshines a lot of his later work.

Elton John, his second album is one of the great records - with early classics like Your Song, Take me to the Pilot, Border Song, The King Must Die. Very supportive orchestral arrangements from Paul Buckmaster. Full acknowledgement of a group effort is shown by the photo, which includes Paul, Gus Dudgeon, producer, and Bernie Taupin.

Elton for me slightly overdoes the Transatlantic accent with his vocals on some tracks but this is one of his early 5/6 albums that, like Rod Stewart's early records occupy an important place in many hearts. Both artists went on to overwhelming success - but, in the opinion of many, did not beat albums like this

L'Oreal Paris Men Expert Skin & Stubble Moisturiser Gel 50ml
L'Oreal Paris Men Expert Skin & Stubble Moisturiser Gel 50ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Good after a shave!, 17 Dec. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have tried this product out and find it very refreshing as a normal sort of after shave balm. I appreciate the description as stubble gel and have tried it as this way but frankly I only really use such products after a shave and very effective it is

Poligrip 40 g Denture Fixative Cream Ultra
Poligrip 40 g Denture Fixative Cream Ultra
Offered by UNPPharm

3.0 out of 5 stars Change of packaging and not as good, 17 Dec. 2015
Well - it is all rather confusing. The picture has the old packaging - blue and white with the words 'All day hold, Ultra fresh mint' and the red flash with 'Zinc Free'.

What I have received has new packaging with some greenish shading and a change of wording to 'Strong hold, fresh mint flavour'. The ingredients seem to be largely the same - but I am finding the product not as effective as it was with the old packaging. I know other people agree with me.

The company insists that it is merely a change of packaging but I have pointed out the change of wording and plan to pursue this because for me we are not getting the advertised product.

Compared to some other brands this is still generally better and recommended as such but be warned that if this old packaging and advert description appears you may be disappointed when you get the product. I have ordered from 2 suppliers and the same thng happened wiith the 'new' packaging appearing and so not as advertised

The Essential Van Morrison
The Essential Van Morrison

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb selection of great tracks from the great man, 28 Nov. 2015
If you have no Van Morrison and want to get into this unbeatable music - buy this 2 disc album.. Still On Top, also 2 discs is for me a slightly better selection but I am recommending this because it is in chronological order and side 1 presents arguably the best side of songs and performances from any Best Of I have ever encountered. It also has tracks from Astral Weeks, one of the greatest pieces of music ever committed to disc.

2 Them tracks start things off - which I find better than being shoehorned in as they are on SOT. The young Van in superb forthright voice. At school ( I can't believe it is so long ago) we wondered who on earth this was - he seemed that good already. Then early solo tracks Spanish Rose and the sublime Brown Eyed Girl from Blowin' Your Mind. Then 2 tracks (at last) from Astral Weeks (had to get the expanded new version of this), 4 killer tracks from Moondance and still only as far as track 10.

Then Domino, 2 from Tupelo Honey and as uplifting a track as I know - Jackie Wilson Said, with one of the great vocals and Warm Love from Hard Nose The Highway (not rated very highly by some but one of my favourites) and Fair Play, a track from Veedon Fleece, one of the greatest VM albums IMHO.

Now to a bit of extra inspired programming - a live version of Caravan from The Band's famous recorded last gig, with Van on effortless form and the side ending with Hungry For Your Love from Wavelength and a live Cleaning Windows from Belfast.

Side 2 has a good selection of tracks - probably subject to intense argument as to content because there is a large body of work to choose from. From Bright Side of the Road, another supremely uplifting song,Tore Down a la Rimbaud, Real Real Gone, Precious Time – all memorable - to a live version of Sweet Thing from Astral Weeks Live, another inspired programmme move. For me this shows no falling off in artistic quality and these are memorable songs by any standard.

I think it is a good selection overall although I would have liked to have seen included Dweller On The Threshold and Celtic New Year. But hats off for this superb selection - and even better in chronological order.

So highly recommended and then treat yourself to the newly expanded Astral Weeks
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2016 10:50 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16