Profile for Mike Davey > Reviews

Content by Mike Davey

Mike Davey (St Georges, Telford)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Stretton Payne Mandolin with online beginner course
Stretton Payne Mandolin with online beginner course
Offered by Rock Star Academy

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain instrument and course., 6 July 2015
I am a guitar player and fancied having a bash at the mandolin. So I was attracted to this instrument by the reviews, the price and the offer of an online course.

I like the instrument - the design and basic sound. The course is very helpful if only to show you a few chords. I can now knock out When I'm Dead and Gone, Norwegian Wood....Just off to have a go at Lady Eleanor - a bit more of a challenge!

I don't think you can lose if you buy this, especially with the offer of the course. I am finding it great fun. I reckon the main challenge is actually deciding what you are actually going to play.

12 Dunlop Tortex Standard & Nylon Standard Guitar Picks / Plectrums 1 Of Each Type In A Handy Tin
Offered by Dirty Riffs Guitar Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 great sets of picks, 6 July 2015
I use both tortex and nylon picks and in different gauges, depending on which guitar I am playing and what music etc.

So to have both types in a little handy tin like this is ideal.. A great product - good value, a variety of picks and in a tin!

Just go and buy these - you will not be disappointed.

Van Morrison Anthology (Piano Vocal Guitar)
Van Morrison Anthology (Piano Vocal Guitar)
by Van Morrison

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb anthology, 26 Jun. 2015
This is just the anthology to go with the Still on Top Greatest Hits CDs compilation. It has made me go back to some earlier songs I have not played on the guitar for ages.

Van's songs are reasonably straightforward as far as chords are concerned - not too many and not complicated either. It does give you a fresh appreciation of that voice and the phrasing and pacing he uses.

Long time favourites of mine to play and all included here are: Into The Mystic, Brown Eyed Girl, Checkin' It Out and the incredible Wild Night. You can also have a go at Astral Weeks, included in all it's glory. Go on - I dare you! I may get around to it one day.

GCSE French Interactive Vocab Tester - DVD-ROM and Vocab Book
GCSE French Interactive Vocab Tester - DVD-ROM and Vocab Book
by CGP Books

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource, 18 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Acquired as a general revision guide for d a grandson and it completely fulfills this aim for me.

Excellent support for oral exams and I wish I had had it when doing my French exams. My grandson is finding it very helpful and the disc is enabling him to improve pronunciation and confidence.

Echoes (The Best of Pink Floyd)
Echoes (The Best of Pink Floyd)
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars A Sublime Compilation, 15 May 2015
This a cleverly conceived collection that forgoes any straightforward chronological run through for a more carefully chosen mix of tracks that really do run together well. When i initially saw the selection and the running order I thought it could not possibly work but it does.

Ok so there is a slight edit in Echoes and Shine On... but any newcomer to the Floyd should be well served by this extensive set of tracks. Old timers like me can also revel in the sublime music. Concentration is rightly on Dark Side, Wish You Were Here and The Wall but there are sufficient older tracks from the first 2 albums like Set The Controls and Bike to give a wide ranging overview. Perhaps 3 tracks form The Division Bell is pushing it but generally I find this one of the great compilations and one I love to play even though I have followed Floyd from the beginning.

The sound is amazing and if you can dislodge David Gilmour's guitar magic from your head I would be very surprised!

Definitive Collection (Rmst)
Definitive Collection (Rmst)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great compilation from one of the great bands., 14 May 2015
This is a truly great compilation from a now slightly overlooked band. But this is a shame because these boys, led by the sublime Steve Marriott really gave it all or nothing: a bluesy, soulful sound - well with that voice it had to be all - total commitment to the performance and delivery of every phrase. And the results are stunning - the changes of tempo in some tracks is a thing of wonder.

There are a couple of live tracks, appropriate to the compilation because the Pie were an unbeatable live band. There is a lack of pretension, total belief in what they are doing and this comes over in a great collection of tracks. Live With Me is one of the greatest performances I know on record. There are many moments where Clem's jazz influenced guitar spirals away and you wonder how it will all stay together but it always does.

If you only know Natural Born Boogie - give this a go - and be amazed..

The Turning Point
The Turning Point

5.0 out of 5 stars A change of style that grows on you, 3 May 2015
This review is from: The Turning Point (Audio CD)
This album is of course of major significance, representing Mayall's turning from the great electric combos of yore and the guitars of Eric Clapton, Peter Green and Mick Taylor to the acoustic virtuosity displayed here. I did not see this incarnation but always loved the album.

The music grows on you slowly - well, like many fans that is what I found, after getting over the shock of the new approach and you really do not miss the drums after a while. The musicianship is intense and the togetherness of the band is staggering: witness the audience reaction.

I place this disc in my top 5, with the Clapton/ Green/ Taylor ones, along with the amazing violin (where was he going now we thought) of Sugarcane Harris on USA Union.

Classic Tracks And Rarities - An Anthology
Classic Tracks And Rarities - An Anthology
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Collection, 2 May 2015
I have always vaguely liked PH and had the Halcyon Daze single disc collection and wondered what else was available. Well,if you want early PH which I did then this is a very good collection to have.

Many of the tracks from the first 4 albums are included and show what great musicians they were/ are. Gary Brooker is one of the great vocalists in rock and the songs are often surreal or at least quirky, Allied to amazing musicianship with Matthew Fisher's Hammond playing very controlled and Robin Trower's guitar weaving in and out, a little OTT at times but generally enhancing the songs. Gary also shows what a fine pianist he is.

My favourite track, apart from A Whiter Shade of Pale is A Salty Dog, utterly magnificent - as is much of the rest.

The Essential Simon & Garfunkel
The Essential Simon & Garfunkel

5.0 out of 5 stars Overall a great selection with an amazing second disc, 1 May 2015
This is a comprehensive collection, that covers the whole of S and G's career, including much of Bookends and all but one track of Bridge Over Troubled Water. Most of these tracks are on CD2, together with the live For Emily Whenever I May Find Her (my favourite S and G performance both vocally staggering and with sublime guitar). For me, this CD has one of the best sets of songs you can buy, showcasing amazing nuanced vocals and musical performances: some of the arrangements are breathtaking.

CD 1 has some great songs e.g. The Sound Of Silence, I am a Rock but it also highlights a few less spectacular songs - by their standards, some of which are live and again, for me slightly let down the overall package. It is obviously my personal view and if anything, goes to show how great the best (and largely better known) songs are. And you can easily select what tracks you want.

Great sounding CDs - and a knockout second disc.

Shubb Blue Guitar Capo
Shubb Blue Guitar Capo
Offered by Angledbox

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb capo, 20 Jan. 2015
I had my old capo for years and persevered with it for much longer than I should have. Then I bought a new acoustic guitar and decided to at last buy a new capo.

Boy - am I glad I picked this Shubb one. It is quite simply SUPERB! Follow the simple instructions about positioning it at different frets to try it out and adjusting the screw (once only) - and away you go. I can flip it on and off with no further adjustment, it is easy to put in place, no buzzing and pivoting to gain the best position - it works really well and is so light to handle. An absolute pleasure to use.

I just have to stop myself playing everything with the capo on!

Heartily recommended to every guitar player.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14