Profile for Pablo > Reviews

Pablo

The Wake: Man Booker Prize 2014 Longlist Edition
The Wake: Man Booker Prize 2014 Longlist Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy and read this book!, 6 Aug. 2014
This book vastly repays the little effort it takes to understand the 'shadow' language and is a truly remarkable read. I have just finished it and have found it extraordinary; the language, derived from Old English, is very effective in giving a a portrait of a historical time in a way which transcends other ways of writing. Hip hip hurray to Paul Kingsworth. His writing has stirred me enormously.

Death Comes to Pemberley
Death Comes to Pemberley
by P. D. James

2.0 out of 5 stars Drivel, 12 Mar. 2013
I have previously enoyed a couple of PDJames books however reading this book has been painful. She makes the mistake of focusing on the fussiness and triviality of a costume drama without employing any humour, irony or intelligence found in Austen.

The Boy Who Followed Ripley
The Boy Who Followed Ripley
by Patricia Highsmith

3.0 out of 5 stars Ms Highsmith teases, 15 July 2012
I have read The Talented Mr Ripley a number of times(and loved it) plus one or two of the follow-up books-all some years ago. I happened to come across this one when I had no other reading material to hand in the middle of a sleepless night and it drew me in. The storyline is very thin and it is a credit to Ms Highsmith's style of writing that she can maintain a reader's interest throughout- though, for me, only just.

Interestingly there are gay allusions: Lou Reid's Transformer, Heloise's musing that Frank may be a 'tapette', and citing some of the action in a gay pub. There are also precise descriptions of the men's sleeping arrangements, taking showers etc. She teases us with attraction between Tom and Frank but really just leaves a blank onto which to project fantasies.

The character of Tom is not really consistent with that shown in The Talented Mr Ripley where he exhibits traits of a psychopath. Here he has affection to Frank though I did not understand what motivated him to go back to the USA with him. I felt Frank's exit was not consistent with what we saw of his character.

Overall I found the book OK-just- hence the 3 stars though credit to Ms Highsmith that she is still being read and discussed over 30 years after publication.

The Cost Of Love [DVD]
The Cost Of Love [DVD]
Dvd ~ Valmike Rampersad
Offered by fat_buddha

1.0 out of 5 stars Am I missing something?, 22 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Cost Of Love [DVD] (DVD)
I found this DVD absolutely dreadful. The script was unlifelike, none of the characters were credible and only appeared to speak lines to develop the 'story' rather than bing fully-fashioned individuals. It was poorly acted; were the actors professional actors?-they did not seem to be. The main protagonist Dale very wooden, all the characters sterotypes. Neither was there any raunchiness to alleviate the tedium of the acting for while two of the guys, Raj and Israel were hot you did not see much of either. The 'sex' scenes were not realistic. A total disappointment if I could have scored this DVD zero stars I would have.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2012 1:57 AM GMT