Profile for chatmaggie > Reviews

Content by chatmaggie

chatmaggie

River Cottage Veg Every Day! (River Cottage Every Day)
River Cottage Veg Every Day! (River Cottage Every Day)
by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall

5.0 out of 5 stars HFW Cakes, 22 Feb. 2012
I have over fifty recipe books, but almost always use HFW's books, because they are simple, detailed and so far, absolutely foolproof. Even my husband has started cooking, because he feels confident following the clear step-by-step instructions.I bought the Cakes recipe books for myself, and then gave it to my daughter who was battling to find a decent cake recipe. Within a month I had stolen it back, which is the reason I am having to buy it again, to replace hers. The Chocolate Fudge cake and the Lemon Drizzle are without a doubt the best cakes I have ever baked, and the Victoria Sponge is delicious!

Cakes: River Cottage Handbook No.8
Cakes: River Cottage Handbook No.8
by Pam Corbin

5.0 out of 5 stars River Cottage Cakes, 20 Jun. 2011
As a South African living in England, I had almost given up trying to bake cakes because all my South African recipes were a total disaster - something to do with the different kind of flour, I believe.

I am a great fan of the River Cottage shows and often log onto their site to see what they are up to. I have one really fantastic family recipe book of theirs which is my favourite. Then, on the website I saw this book for cakes, which looked simple and was reasonably priced.

I have now made three of the cakes which have all been successes. My favourite is the chocolate cake with chocolate fudge icing. An absolute no-no as far as calories are concerned but so delicious that when my husband took the left overs to the office the next day, his colleagues actually ended up licking the plate!

I call that a good cake!