Profile for pierrewyss@aol.com > Reviews

pierrewyss@aol.com (Germany)

The Powerbook
The Powerbook
by Jeanette Winterson

5.0 out of 5 stars fresh, modern, true! Poetry, emotion and beautiful language!, 30 May 2001
This review is from: The Powerbook (Paperback)
My first book from Jeanette Winterson: an awakening! reading reviewers on it makes me curious. I haven't read such a "power(ful) book" in a long time, but some say she has written better ones: I'm ordering them all!
besides the wonderful use of words, what really caught me are these in-between thoughts like:"Nobody thinks without a cup of water. The dreams of the dying cannot be irrigated." or "To avoid discovery I stay on the run. To discover things for myself I stay on the run." or yet "the self-righteousness that hides ignorance and fear." Each of those (and many more), one can spend an entire day (or many more) meditating about.
Atmosphere, light and music, first and foremost rythm! Rythm in the structure, rythm in the wording! Beeing a choreographer, these had a very strong effect on me.
Simon Schama, critic from the MAIL ON SUNDAY says: "Buy it for someone you really love." I did!