Profile for D. A. Wright > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Panasonic ES-LV65 5 Blade Electric Shaver Wet&Dry
Panasonic ES-LV65 5 Blade Electric Shaver Wet&Dry

5.0 out of 5 stars Full marks!, 11 Sept. 2015
I bought one of these shavers a couple of months ago to replace a Braun shaver which had suddenly ceased working and I had to resort temporarily to an old Remington shaver I keep as a back-up. I refrained from comment for a while as I am aware that almost any brand-new razor will appear an improvement on a clapped out one and I wanted to give it a fair test. Owing to a skin condition, I shave my whole head as well as my beard, so my shaver gets more than average use.
I am pleased to say that I am truly delighted with this shaver. It far exceeds my rather pessimistic expectations. It is an expensive item – at least as far as I am concerned – but I think it is well worth the cost if one can afford it. I have used many different brands over the years and none has even approached this shaver for comfort or performance. It has reduced the time taken for a close shave easily by a half. While one must take claims of ‘one pass’ shaving with a pinch of salt, it certainly takes far less scrubbing than any other shaver I have used. It even tackles with ease the longer stubble resulting from not shaving for two or three days.
I can honestly and unreservedly award this shaver five stars. I expect it to justify its early promise for many years to come.

Nutley's Fresh Chestnut Mushroom Kit, Live, Pre-Started & Growing (1)
Nutley's Fresh Chestnut Mushroom Kit, Live, Pre-Started & Growing (1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of the hype, 11 Sept. 2015
I received a kit as a Father's Day present and have followed the instructions meticuously. However, there has been absolutely no sign of any mushrooms at all. I notice that some kits are supplied with lids and these require a bag of casing (whatever that may be) to be sprinkled on what is presumably bare compost. I wonder whether my kit, sent without a lid, is missing the essential casing, either inadvertently or as an ill-conceived prank. Either way the kit is a great disappointment to both myself and to the giver and I would warn any prospective purchaser not to get their expectations too high, in spite of the enthusiastic comments by some other users.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 27, 2015 11:22 AM GMT

Notes to my Mother-in-Law and How Many Camels Are There in Holland?: Two-book Bundle

3.0 out of 5 stars It improved as it went along, 23 April 2014
It was not easy to get into this book and I would gladlyhave ditched the first half. once the story got going though, it was mildly amusing and more than a little thought-provoking. How does one cope with an old relative sinking into dementia?

Term Limits: A Novel
Term Limits: A Novel

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 23 April 2014
A good plot in the familiar Vince Flynn style, but ruined for me by the appalling typesetting, the continual running together of words that interrupted the flow of the story and sometimes made me stop reading to try to fathom out what was meant.
Amazon really should get a grip on their system for digitising print. Jeff Bezos would be horrified if he knew of this sloppy presentation.

The Pure
The Pure
by Jake Simons

5.0 out of 5 stars More like this please, 1 July 2013
This review is from: The Pure (Paperback)
I thorougly enjoyed this rattling good yarn on my Kindle, although I knew nothing about the author before I started. As others have commented, it gets off to a slowish start, but to say it took 2/3 to get going is rather harsh in my opinion. If the end was a little predictable, so what? It was a pleasing journey getting there. I hope Mr Simons can produce more like this, although considering the huge amount of research that has gone into a book of this quality, I don't expect future stories will come exactly thick and fast.

Panasonic Lumix TZ10 Digital Camera - Black (12.1MP, 12x Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD

3.0 out of 5 stars First Impressions: Disappointing, 30 Sept. 2010
Lumix DMC TZ10
I went for the TZ 10 rather than the TZ7 so that I wouldn't always be wondering what I was missing by not having the GPS. As always, the Amazon speed of delivery and packaging was impressive, although no longer a novelty. Panasonic have produced a beautifully designed device with all the buttons and knobs in the right places, unlike my point and click Sony which has given up the ghost - and shows me nothing but ghostly images! :-)
That's the good part. I thought that 15 MB of internal memory would be enough to get me started, but after taking two - yes, that's it, only two - pictures, I got the 'BUILT-IN MEMORY FULL' message, even with the GPS disabled. :-(
This means that the camera is of very limited use without supplementary memory and I would have expected some sort of memory card to have been included in the package. Naturally, none of the Sony accessories - battery, memory cards - are compatible, so now I'm waiting for a memory card. :-(
Meanwhile, there is the CD-ROM as a consolation prize with which to occupy myself. It promises much.
First impressions: disappointing.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 10, 2011 8:54 AM GMT

The World's Stupidest Laws
The World's Stupidest Laws
by David Crombie

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect too much and you'll not be disappointed, 22 April 2010
A collection of snappy Q&A, some hoary with age, some excruciatingly contrived, some bewildering and some really funny. A bit of a mixed bag, but if you want to give your brain a rest, slip it into neutral and coast along for a while, you could do a lot worse than dip into this little book.

Icon
Icon
by Frederick Forsyth

5.0 out of 5 stars One of his best, 22 April 2010
This review is from: Icon (Paperback)
This is all you expect from FF and more as he slots his novel seamlessly into an accurate depiction of the time. Of course it is fiction but, in retrospect, you find yourself wondering where the historical facts stop and the imagination starts. There is no time for that sort of analysis while reading though as the pace quickens and eases off, drawing you in, in a gripping but wholly credible manner. I found myself utterly immersed in the story, only reluctantly returning to reality as the tale concluded. I'm sure it will be reread and the pleasure multiplied.

Eating the Sun: How Plants Power the Planet
Eating the Sun: How Plants Power the Planet
by Oliver Morton

5.0 out of 5 stars Scholarly, readable and timely, 22 April 2010
Don't be deceived by the quirky title or illustrated cover into thinking this is a trivial work. It isn't! It is a book that kept me up later than I planned as I had to keep turning the pages. I have some knowledge of the subject and a scientific background so I didn't expect to learn too much from this book. How wrong I was in my deluded self-confidence! The author takes his subject head-on and clearly explains the rather complicated processes involved. I really did enjoy the read and I have it ready to pass on to my son with a strong recommendation to make time in his busy life for this little masterpiece.

The Seven Spiritual Laws for Parents: Guiding Your Children to Success and Fulfillment
by M D Deepak Chopra M D

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear!, 22 April 2010
I expected this book to be different from Chopra's other offerings.
It isn't.
I did at least learn the wisdom of not judging a book by its cover, but that is about all.

Page: 1 | 2