Profile for RustyInFlames > Reviews

Content by RustyInFlames

RustyInFlames "rus_t_uk" (Somewhere gloomy, UK)

Night Of The Stormrider
Night Of The Stormrider

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Thrash/Power Metal from the Gods, 13 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Night Of The Stormrider (Audio CD)
I was shocked to find no customer review for this title, arguably Iced Earth's finest hour (just beating Burnt Offerings); and so felt compelled to write one. Released back in 1992 now this album has easily stood the test of time and hence the deserved classic mantle! A concept cd about a pathway to hell and the choices taken, this is a dark and thrashy metal journey containing some of Jon's heaviest riffs to date. The songs contain many twists and turns as you're swept off on a full metal gallop from beginning to end.

As with all great cd's the strength is from the fact all songs are top-notch and each with their individual moments. This is represented justly by Night of the Stormrider: the choral chanting intro to 'Angels holocaust', the electric riffing of 'Stormrider', the aggression of 'Path I choose' or the fabulous metal gems of 'Desert rain' and 'Pure evil'. The final track is a nine minute belter and my favourite I.E., hell even favourite metal song ever. The closing piano outro has a haunting feel that epitomises this great album.

There is a hidden dark depth to it too which keeps the music interesting no matter how many times you listen. I've yet to get bored with this after many years! If you're a fan of metal, especially moody atmospheric metal with riffs to melt your ears then seriously consider this!

That's The Way (My Love Is)
That's The Way (My Love Is)

5.0 out of 5 stars Stellar pleasure, 13 Sept. 2007
Although being one of the better songs from Zeitgeist it is the B-sides that shine brightest here with 'Stellar' worth the price alone.

This 6+ minute masterpiece is a beautiful song dripping with emotion very typical of what we all know Corgan is capable of. In fact I will be as bold as to say it wouldn't feel out of place on either Mellon Collie discs! Apparently it was a leftover song (although available as bonus track in US?) from Zeitgeist.....silly Billy! It is songs like this the album lacked.

The other B-side 'Daydream' is a nice up-beat acoustic number that reminds me of a James Iha tune. If your're an avid collector of Pumpkins material then you will not be dissapointed here, highly recommended.

Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Part 1)
Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Part 1)
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars Part I - The beast has awaken!, 12 Sept. 2007
Iced Earth are here to slay mankind with this top slice of metal greatness. Having been an avid follower of I.E. for many years I will confess to being slightly disappointed with their last effort; The Glorious Burden (despite the breathtaking Gettysburg trilogy). Thankfully however this is a true return to form for Jon, who riffs with the menace and intensity we come to expect from him. His latest masterpiece is more consistent (no filler) and heavier than The Glorious B, and for once Ripper finally starts to feel like part of the music. Yes Matt Barlow was THE voice of I.E. but that era has gone and born from it a new age. Tim 'Ripper' Owens puts on a fantastic vocal performance, his screams reek emotion and are perfectly suited to the epic choruses which are often multi-layered to add depth and passion ala Blind Guardian.

Like most concept albums this is something to be enjoyed through a whole sitting rather than skipping to certain points. Most songs are interspersed with interludes which flow nicely and maintain the steady pace of the story and dark moody atmosphere, up until 'Domino Decree' and the title track when all hell breaks loose. The former having a brilliant mid-section where an organ and guitar dual it out for 2-3 minutes to a great climax, and the title song ending on a riff what can only be described as a monster that will grab you and rip your head off! That's not to say before this the music is non-aggressive; 'Ten thousand strong' and 'Setian massacre' are good up-tempo head-bangers. However it is the mid-tempo songs that work best to the story such as' Infiltrate and Assimilate' and 'Charge to Keep'. A special mention to the epic 'Clouding', a highly memorable song due to its superb atmospheric ending.

This is by no means the perfect album but I'm struggling to think of a stand out weak track, they all fit well in their own way to give a solid listen. Well recommended to all open-minded metal fans. Bring on Part II!

Come Clean
Come Clean

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING DEBUT!, 2 Sept. 2001
This review is from: Come Clean (Audio CD)
I got this cd while i was in the states on the strength of one song 'control' which was constantly bein played over the airwaves. I've bought cd's many times before on the strength of one song and have been dissapointed with the final product. Thankfully 'Come clean' is no way a one song cd!!.
This album has complete control of me, since i've been home i haven't stopped listinin to it. 'Control' kick starts this cd with an explosion of post grunge/rock, and a chorus that will leave u singin it for days. 'Drift and die ' is a nice acoustic number which then goes into your usual rocky chorus. 'Out of my head' is a good example of their alt'rock approach.
'She hates me' and 'Never change' are brilliant songs but the cd's highlight for me is 'Blurry'.This song is leaving me speechless each time i hear it!, a beautiful and emotional song I can easily listen to over and over again. Bein a hugh fan of Cold (an influence to this band), Pumpkins, Creed e.t.c. this band is right up my street.
I strongly recommend this if your into the alt rock scene!!!...but they're so easy to listen too. Buy this now!!!!!, 'Blurry 'is drivin me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a great song!!! What a great cd!!!!!!!!!!!!