Profile for JM > Reviews

The Ice Twins
The Ice Twins
by S. K. Tremayne

4.0 out of 5 stars Claustrophobic and tense suspense, 20 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The Ice Twins (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Sarah and Angus Moorcroft are still reeling from the death of their young daughter Lydia, a year ago, so when his grandmother leaves them a cottage on its own Scottish island, it seems like the perfect retreat from the world.
But Torran is much more remote than Sarah anticipated, and the cottage very run down, it certainly makes for an atmospheric setting. Meanwhile, their surviving twin daughter Kirstie is growing increasingly disturbed, she is trying to convince her mother that she is actually Lydia, and that it was Kirstie who died. Sarah herself is horrified at this thought , could they really have made such an unforgiveable mistake?
The book has such an unusual plot, it's very different to other psychological thrillers. It's quite claustrophobic, with very few characters and set in such a remote location, but this adds to the tension. I didn't really take to the characters however, although initially I was sympathetic towards Sarah, this waned after certain revelations, and I didn't take to Angus at all. The twins element had a little of the supernatural about it, and on the whole I enjoyed the book though it was lacking the final pizzazz that would've made it 5 star.

Revlon ColorStay Makeup Foundation For Normal/Dry Skin - 30 ml, Buff
Revlon ColorStay Makeup Foundation For Normal/Dry Skin - 30 ml, Buff
Offered by Miss Sunshine Boutique

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice finish makeup, 17 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a light foundation that goes on easily without appearing thick or mask-like. It dries to a nice matt finish so doesn't require any powder over the top. It lasts quite well through the day without needing any further applications. It looks natural but flawless which of course, is the desired effect.
The only real criticism I have is that the bottle isn't great, it's not easy to get it out, it would be better if it had a pump or similar, as it is it needs a very firm shake to get any of the makeup to come out.

Kingston 32 GB Micro SDHC UHS-I Speed Class 3 Memory Card with Full Size SD Adapter
Offered by Kikatek

5.0 out of 5 stars Great memory card, 12 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm always getting messages on my phone to say storage is full so thought a memory card with this size memory would do the trick, my previous card is only 2GB. I put this new 32GB card in, moved most of my apps onto it, not to mention photos and music and it's barely used up any of the massive amount of memory.
Have used Kingston memory cards before and always been reliable. This is also very fast for transferring data to and from computer. Although it's useful in my phone, I'm also tempted to get another for my DSLR camera, will hold many many photos and with fast transfer speeds will save time. Comes with an adaptor so it can be used in either micro sd slots or full size ones.

Revlon Nail Enamel - 14.7 ml, Red
Revlon Nail Enamel - 14.7 ml, Red

3.0 out of 5 stars Red nails, 4 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The good things about this nail polish are:
1 It dries much quicker than other varnishes. An impressive start as there's nothing worse than smudging still tacky varnish.
2 The colour and finish - bright and vibrant without looking plasticky, it's almost got the mirror finish of a gel. Looks great.
And the bad:
1 The chip resistant formula has obviously not been formulated very well as it chipped within 2 hours of application. The following day I added another coat hoping it might strengthen it but within 24 hours a number of small chips had appeared.
I've been looking for a decent hard wearing polish since my skin suddenly started reacting to the shellac polish I'd been wearing and although this has its good points in that it looks very nice and it dries quickly (both important), it is one of the least chip resistant nail varnishes I've ever tried. Even 99p bottles from the local budget chemist usually last a couple of days before they chip. If you don't mind having to keep touching it up thenit'll be fine.

The Book of Lost and Found
The Book of Lost and Found
by Lucy Foley

4.0 out of 5 stars The Book of Lost and Found, 2 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was drawn to this book as it was recommended for fans of the likes of Kate Morton and I have enjoyed some of her books, I love the dual time frame formula.
In The Book of Lost and Found's most recent time frame it is 1986 and the leading character is Kate, a young photographer who has recently lost her beloved mother. When her grandmother shows her an old letter she is led on a journey to uncover her family history, a path which takes her to Corsica, Paris and New York.
The previous time frames cover quite a period and are narrated by two different characters, the players in a great romance that spanned many years. Tom and Alice first met as children, she the only daughter of a wealthy and distinguished family, he the son of a more ordinary couple. It is not necessarily a union that would meet with approval and events take various twists and turns over the decades .
This is an easy read, in the main flowing and interesting, there were a couple of parts that I found a bit slow but generally it was an enjoyable book. The characters were likeable and well developed, I particularly liked Kate and Tom, though I did find some of Alice's decisions somewhat bizarre. I liked the revelation as to how June came to be left at the orphanage, it was unexpected but made perfect sense.
I would look out for another book by this author.

The Edge of Dark
The Edge of Dark
by Pamela Hartshorne

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 29 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Edge of Dark (Hardcover)
This is the third book I've read by this author and they have all been amazing! I don't normally read anything so far back in history but there is something utterly gripping about her books.
In the present day Roz makes the move to York to take on a new job marketing the upcoming opening of a recently restored Tudor house. The move also allows her the space to consider what is going wrong in her marriage and to think about some recent shocking family revelations. But at Holmwood House, Roz is aware of undercurrents and events that disturb her, and even in her modern flat and the streets of York, she has strange experiences where she appears to be seeing the past...
In the 1500s the heroine is Jane, the daughter of a successful butcher. She is a plain girl and so feels fortunate when it is arranged that she shall marry Robert who is of a better class than she and also of reasonable good looks. But married life at Holmwood House is not what she expects, Robert has a disturbing secret, and Jane is forced to double cross him on more than one occasion. Whilst I enjoyed Roz's story, Jane's thread was spellbinding and shocking, and I couldn't wait to turn the pages. Sadly it is thus one of those books that makes you feel bereft when it's finished.
This is a fantastic book which I cannot recommend highly enough, please write another one soon.

The Girl on the Train
The Girl on the Train
by Paula Hawkins

2.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BELIEVE THE HYPE...., 29 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Girl on the Train (Hardcover)
I absolutely cannot believe the hype over this book, it's been raved about and hailed as one of the best thrillers of 2015, maybe this is because we're only just in January, because I feel sure that it's going to be one of the worst. In fact if this is one of the best, I don't think I'll bother to read any more for the nest 11 months!
Basically, it's utterly boring. A dreary tale about a drunken woman called Rachel on a train, who pretends to commute every day to a job from which she was fired several months ago. She is obsessed with a particular row of houses she passes, as she used to live in one of them with her husband before he left her for another woman. As well as watching her own former home, she "people watches" and has invented a whole scenario for a couple who live in one of the other houses. When one day she spots something that doesn't fit with her imaginings, she starts to infiltrate herself into their lives.
In spite of the fact that there is a missing person case in this book, it never gets going. There is no tension, excitement or suspense, it is mostly just the mundane ramblings of drunken Rachel, a wholly unlikable character; although there are also some chapters written from the point of view of two other women, Megan and Anna, neither of which inspire any sympathy from the reader, the book doesn't really have any characters that I liked.
I've never known a so called thriller to be so boring, it just never gets going. It's readable and I did finish it which is why I gave it two stars and not one, but was left totally unmoved and wishing I hadn't wasted my time or money on it, I just kept thinking something exciting MUST happen soon as there are so many great reviews, now I just wonder WHY???
I believe from the blurb that there's the possibility of a film, that sounds like one to miss, there is nothing entertaining about a woman going backwards and forwards on a train. Extremely disappointing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 5, 2015 6:13 PM GMT

GSD STYLE YOUR MOBILE {TM} HUAWEI ASCEND Y550 FLIP PU LEATHER MAGNETIC CARD CASE COVER + STYLUS (Design 01 Multi Owls Book)
Offered by Style Your Mobile Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars phone case, 27 Jan. 2015
Good secure fit, nice design though the leather was slightly thicker than I'd hoped, but will protect my phone hopefully.

Revlon ColorStay Moisture Stain - Parisian Passion
Revlon ColorStay Moisture Stain - Parisian Passion

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice gloss, but didn't like the stain, 27 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When first applied this is a nice gloss, quite a deep colour which was a little dark for everyday use for me, but I think would be glam for a night out. However, the glossiness soon wore off so as a lip gloss it didn't score better than any other, but as a lipstain it certainly had staying power. By lunchtime (after an 8am application), I still had dark coloured lips but to be honest I didn't really like the effect it left, I thought it looked like I'd had a Ribena lolly or something that had stained my lips accidentally. The gloss is nice but the way it stains the lips is not so.

Dettol Antibacterial Surface Cleanser Spray 750 ml (Pack of 3)
Dettol Antibacterial Surface Cleanser Spray 750 ml (Pack of 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Dettol, 24 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Obviously it's not possible for me to comment on the absolute effectiveness of whether this Dettol spray kills all the bacteria it claims to as germs are not visble but I regularly use Dettol antibacterial spray and it would seem to keep the bugs at bay so will trust that it is as effective as it claims.
This is a larger than average bottle so more cost effective, and easy to use, just spray and wipe, non tainting and more or less odour free so ideal to use on kitchen worktops and chopping boards.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20