Profile for JM > Reviews

Content by JM
Top Reviewer Ranking: 823

JM (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Levivo 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Cutter for Fruit and Vegetables
Levivo 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Cutter for Fruit and Vegetables

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful cutter/chopper, 16 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very useful gadget for any kitchen, a container with different lids which do different jobs.It will slice, grate, dice etc, using a variety of different blades. The storage container into which your chopped/diced produce falls has rubber feet to help it grip to the worktop rather than slide about, and there is a small cleaning tool to remove any excess vegetables etc.
The cutter was larger than I expected but probably this was my own fault as I presume the size is listed on the description but I didn't notice at the time of ordering. A better design would have incorporated some means of storage for all the accessories, as it is they won't all fit inside and the gadget just comes in a brown cardboard box.
However, still a very useful tool that will see much use in my kitchen.

Create Your Own Website The Easy Way: The Complete Guide to Getting You or Your Business Online
by Alannah Moore

4.0 out of 5 stars Great guide for setting up a DIY website, 16 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm a photographer looking to build a website for my business in the near future, at the moment I just use social media to promote it but the time has come where I think I need to create a website so jumped at the chance to get a copy of this book.
This goes through all the basic considerations: what you want and require from your site, the domain name, whether you need to take payments through your site etc. Then onto the hosting and platforms. It looks at using various templates for Wordpress, Wix, Squarespace etc, and talks you through the process, also advising on how to use photos and other graphics.
It's written in a very easy to understand fashion, you don't need to be technical at all, and I can't wait to get started with my website, this book will prove very useful as I work through the process.

Datacolor Spyder5EXPRESS Colorimeter with USB Connector
Datacolor Spyder5EXPRESS Colorimeter with USB Connector

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful and easy to use, 16 July 2016
Very easy to set up and use, and makes a huge difference to your computer screen. I used it on my laptop, I'm a photographer and noticed the grass in some photos was looking very yellow. I bought the Spyder and calibrated, and was very impressed with the colour change. Definitely worth the money.

Local Girl Missing
Local Girl Missing
by Claire Douglas

4.0 out of 5 stars Great twists at the end, 16 July 2016
This review is from: Local Girl Missing (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Nearly twenty years ago Frankie's best friend Sophie disappeared, her body was never found, just a trainer left on the old pier gave any indication of what happened to her. Now, the police believe her remains have been found and her brother Daniel beckons Frankie back from London to the seaside town where they all grew up, to try and discover the truth.
The story alternates between the points of view of Frankie in the present day, and Sophie in 1997. Frankie lives in London now, running a chain of boutique hotels, but she has had a number of unsuccessful relationships and is in the midst of another. when Daniel asks her to return. Together they try to piece together what happened on the night Sophie disappeared. Sophie, at the time of her thread, is twenty one and embarking on her first serious love affair, but is troubled by events both in the past and present.
To be honest I did find the first half was a little slow, nothing much seemed to be happening, but there are two great twists at the end, which did surprise me, and certainly changed this from being a run of the mill crime story to something a little bit different. Not what I expected at all and definitely worth a read.

The Fire Child
The Fire Child
by S. K. Tremayne

4.0 out of 5 stars Creepy atmospheric read, 1 July 2016
This review is from: The Fire Child (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is almost an old fashioned story, the sort of Gothic suspense I used to read in my late teens: young woman meets handsome wealthy stranger, marries him and moves to his country home where she lives in the shadow of his dead first wife. I say almost, for although it's a well tried basis for a plot, this certainly gives it a moden day twist.
Rachel is besotted by David, and loves his family home, Carnhallow Hall. Living here with her new husband and young stepson Jamie, she hears stories of David's late first wife, the lovely Nina, stories that combined with Jamie's increasingly disturbing behaviour, start to make her doubt her own sanity. What really happened to Nina? Is she really dead or could she still be alive?
Set in a remote part of Cornwall, this is an incredibly atmospheric book. I'm never frightened by books but the scenes on Christmas Eve really had my heart pounding, I could just imagine how Rachel would have felt.
I read The Ice Twins last year, but I think this book is better.

St Moriz Professional Tanning Lotion, Medium
St Moriz Professional Tanning Lotion, Medium

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice colour but quite thick when applying, 11 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found this lotion to be rather thick which did make it a little tricky to apply, even with a tanning mitt, it also seems to dry quite quickly on application so you need to apply fairly quickly otherwise will end up with an uneven finish. It's very dark so at least it's easy to see where you've applied it. I wouldn't really recommend putting it on just before you're going out, can look a bit odd. Probably better to apply before bed and then shower off the guide colour in the morning, which then leaves you with a nice , hopefully even tan. The resulting colour looks good. The lotion smells surprisingly nice, as a lot of fake tans have the same not so nice aroma.

Blood Sister: A thrilling and gritty crime drama (Flesh and Blood series)
Blood Sister: A thrilling and gritty crime drama (Flesh and Blood series)
by Dreda Say Mitchell

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok read, 17 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I chose this book because the author was likened to Kimberley Chambers, and while the subject matter is similar I'm sorry to say I didn't feel it was as gripping.
Blood Sister features two sisters, Jen and Tiffany, who are complete opposites. They live on the Devil's Estate, a very rough estate in the East End, Jen is desperate to better herself and get a career in the fashion industry which will get her away from the estate, while Tiff is always in trouble and mixed up with the wrong people.
In a separate thread is Dee, a young woman who has her eye on the finer things in life and is determined to get the man who will provide them for her. She's prepared to do pretty much anything to anyone who stands in her way.
While I didn't dislike the book, it just didn't grip me. The characters didn't really have enough about them to make me care, Jen was a nice girl but didn't have a lot of personality, and Tiffany was annoying and stupid. If you are a massive fan of the genre you may well enjoy it, for me it lacked something, and wasn't really any comparison to Kimberley Chambers.

Watching Edie: The most unsettling psychological thriller you'll read this year
Watching Edie: The most unsettling psychological thriller you'll read this year
by Camilla Way

4.0 out of 5 stars Watching Edie, 17 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Watching Edie is described as the one to watch in 2016, breathless, intense and shocking, this year's ultimate pyschological thriller. Well, not quite I don't think.
It's certainly very readable, and at times I struggled to put it down but ultimately for me, the ending fell a bit flat. Yes, there's a twist, but it's not really the shock I expected, I was a little disappointed.
Edie and Heather met many years ago at school. Heather was unpopular, the butt of jokes, a loner, Edie, the new girl, attractive, cool, the sort of girl who would never be friends with Heather. But against the odds, the two do become friends of sorts, although it's not really a very balanced friendship. Years later, we know that something bad happened between the two of them, and Heather turns up unexpectedly at Edie's door. Reluctant to renew their friendship Edie does not welcome her until she reaches a very low ebb and needs someone to look after her.
The story is told in alternating chapters of past and present so we see how the girls met and formed their strange relationship, and eventually how it all went wrong; this is interspersed with the present day chapters where they meet again. Heather tells the past story while Edie relates what's happening now, and this plot device works well as we can see both personalities and their views.
There is an underlying hint of menace in the present timeline and I was desperately waiting to see how this would develop, but it's not how I anticipated, and although of course I love to be surprised, it felt like a slight anticlimax.
It's not a bad read, I felt for both the girls, both in past and present, and I did quite enjoy it mostly but I wish the ending had been a bit more shocking.

Tell Me Lies (Gardner and Freeman)
Tell Me Lies (Gardner and Freeman)
by Rebecca Muddiman

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 27 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I read Rebecca Muddiman's first book Stolen about three years ago on holiday and it had me totally gripped, I didn't want to leave my sunbed. So I was very excited to be offered a review copy of her new book and settled down for an exciting read.
Sadly this is no Stolen. In fact I find it difficult to believe that these two books were written by the same author. Tell me no lies was depressing and dull, and something of a bind to read. The characters are generally unlikeable hence I soon lost interest as I didn't really care what happened to any of them. From the police officers to the rest of the cast I found it hard to warm to any of them.
In short, a body is found in the back garden of a young woman, Lauren James, daughter of a locally overfull man Walter James, who I'd in the midst of a campaign to become an MP. The body is that of her ex boyfriend. The novel follows this unpleasant cast of characters as the detectives search for the murderer and the rest of them stab each other in the back so to speak. Policewoman Nicola also gets involved in underhand activities trying to help out her brother who returns from the dead and is now mixed up with a bunch of criminals.
I'm sorry to give such a negative review after having loved the author's first book but I was really disappointed in this one.

The Disappearance
The Disappearance
by Annabel Kantaria

4.0 out of 5 stars The Disappearance, 25 April 2016
This review is from: The Disappearance (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the first book I have read by this author, and I enjoyed it. It is the story of Audrey, about to turn seventy in a present day story, and as a young woman in the 1970s. It's told partly in the third person from Audrey's point of view and partly in the first person from the eyes of her daughter Alexandra.
Having lost both her parents by her middle twenties, young Audrey travels to India to visit an old friend who is living there. In a cafe in Bombay, she meets Ralph Templeton, a handsome and confident man who soon seduces her, and before she knows it she is married with young twins. But Ralph is not all he seems and married life certainly not how she dreamed it would be.
In the present day, fast approaching seventy, Audrey decides to take her grown up children on a cruise to celebrate her birthday. But just hours after, she disappears. The cruise takes up the majority of the second half of the book, I did prefer the thread set in the 70s. However, the book is still an enjoyable read and there is a surprising twist near the end.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20