Profile for Rudy > Reviews

Rudy (his bedroom)

Eclipse 70-130R Pad Saw
Eclipse 70-130R Pad Saw

5.0 out of 5 stars A real lifesaver, 9 Jan. 2017
Tonight I locked myself in the bathroom for an hour. I didn't do it on purpose, it kind of just happened. As I went to take a shower and closed the bathroom door I heard a snap. Something was amiss and so I went to re-open the bathroom door and it wouldn't open!

The latch bolt was broken and no turning of the door knob would move it or allow the door to be opened.

I thought it's important not to panic. I looked around at what I had at my disposal: scissors, toilet brush, pair of tweezers, electric toothbrush. I realised I would die in this room.

After screaming for my wife to discover my predicament, we went through our options. 1) She scissor kicks the door open like a spider monkey. It didn't work. 2) She operates any type of power tool. So that's out. 3) We phone real men to come and save me. I preferred the die of starvation outcome.

So that's when I remembered that I'd bought this pad saw seven days ago, the first one I've ever owned. It has a detachable blade, and while the wife couldn't get me the handle, she could slide the blade under the door. 45 mins of sawing the latch bolt between the door and doorjamb and I'm free to write this review.

Without the saw I might still be in there... I love this product. 10/10 highly recommend.

Fast Food Nation: What the All-American Meal is Doing to the World
Fast Food Nation: What the All-American Meal is Doing to the World
by Eric Schlosser

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll never eat a burger again., 18 Sept. 2001
One of the most thought provoking books you'll ever read; and far more gritty than "No Logo". Eric Schlosser has written a book drawn from extensive research on the history of the U.S. fast food industry including a decent amount of his own investigation and interviews. What he does is expose what goes on behind the scenes which has just as much implication to European residents as it does to our US counterparts.
To just scratch the surface is to talk about the fact that there's more beef fat in a certain purveyor's chicken nugget than you'll find in their burgers. In fact, there's more saturated fat in their fries than in their burgers too. If you want to avoid fat then have a milkshake - less fat than you think but easily containing 20 man-made chemicals.... and do you mind if the strawberry flavour is manufactured 3000 miles away in a New Jersey chemical company in the room next door to where they're manufacturing the taste of the burgers? Schlosser goes beyond just this and illustrates how the fast food global industries are destroying small farming traditions, encourgaing abysmal pay and benefits for their employees plus poor working conditions that can and do lead to diseased meat (and even worse) getting into our food chain. He also examines how their marketing is becoming more and more ruthless, even invading schoolyards in the US (how soon for us?) - What is the most recognisable advert to US children under 10 years old? Budweiser. Sheer Genius or Criminal?
I've only touched the surface of what the book covers, check it out - espescially if you eat in any fast food restaurant - you're deceiving yourself if you think you know what you're putting in your mouth. And if you're wondering - I'm not a vegetarian! I am a confirmed meat eater and an ex-fast food eater.

The Look Of Love
The Look Of Love
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars The most gifted female jazz singer/pianist recording today, 13 Sept. 2001
This review is from: The Look Of Love (Audio CD)
Diana Krall's been around on CD since 1989 and has released 5 albums (I think!) since then. I've seen her live 4 times and she's definitely one of those artists who is 100x better live; not to say that her albums aren't great - its just that she is an incredibly accomplished jazz pianist who plays with a cheeky sense of humour which makes listening a joy, sometimes on CD that doesn't always come across.
This latest album is more of a Jazz standards album (as the tracklisting indicates) than she's ever done before. For my money, it's incredibly well produced and played but misses some of the humour you can glean off albums like Love Scenes (track "Peel Me A Grape") and When I Look In Your Eyes (track "Popsicle Toes") - both are worth owning. Stil though, if you're already a fan then this is a "must have" and espescially with the great arranger Claus Ogerman who was dragged out of retirement for this album.
If you like listening to some of the greats: Nat King Cole, Sinatra, Julie London, Ella Fitzgerald, etc. then Diana Krall will be a great addition to those names. And if you like this album then definitely check out her last two (mentioned above) or for more of those lush string arrangements from Claus Ogerman check out the classic 1969 Oscar Peterson album: "Motions & Emotions". Brilliant.

Gold
Gold
Offered by westworld-

4.0 out of 5 stars A real gem and one of the best albums of the year., 13 Sept. 2001
This review is from: Gold (Audio CD)
Some of you may know Ryan (not Bryan) Adams from his days as the guiding light of Whiskytown who came out with some cracking albums like Pneumonia. Ryan is probably one of the most gifted (tortured) songwriters working today and this album gives you everything.. often described as Americana or Alternative Country its just great rock music with no fear of crossing into half a dozen other genres. I expected to be surprised when I listened to it and I was.

Silver Side Up
Silver Side Up
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Staind's Break The Cycle, 9 Sept. 2001
This review is from: Silver Side Up (Audio CD)
Nickelback are a four-pice band from Vancouver, Canada. Last year they released the brilliant "The State" album which saw a small UK release and has gone on to pick up a decent following. With "Silver Side Up" they've definitely perfected their sound and have picked up a lot of comparisons to Staind; offering a similar melodic Hard rock sound with a deep grinding guitar style and lyrics which are both personal and painful. If you like Staind tracks like: "Fade", "Outside", and "Its Been Awhile" then be prepared to be blown away by Nickelback.
Stand out tracks on the new album have to be the vengeful "Just For", the angry "Look What Your Money Bought", the radio friendly first video "How You Remind Me" and the stadium sounding "Good Times Gone". But it doesn't stop there, there's not a poor track on the album. I'd have to say as a fan of both bands, that "Silver Side Up" is consistently better overall than Staind's "Break The Cycle".

My best Rock purchase of the year. And if you want to get into Nickelback then start with this album and if you like it then go to "The State" for more. They have an earlier album too called "Curb" which is due for re-issue.

silver side up
silver side up
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like Staind, or Creed, or Fuel... read on., 9 Sept. 2001
This review is from: silver side up (Audio CD)
If you don't know Nickelback then let me summarise: A Canadian four-piece band originating from Vancouver, churning out melodic HARD rock, that with the imminent release of their third album are being touted as the next Staind. And I can tell you that's all true.
For those of you out there that can't stop playing superb tracks from Staind like "Fade", "Its Been Awhile", and "Outside" then Nickelback won't dissapoint. Similarly to Staind their lyrics are personal and painful, but they're not some cheap imitation band, their previous album: "The State" is also brilliant. Released last year, its been an underground success in the UK (about 5,000 of you out there know just how good), and is worth buying.
But back to "Silver Side Up". This album blows "The State" away. From the first video/radio friendly track: "How You Remind Me" to the simmering rage of "Just For" as in I WANT TO TAKE HIS EYES OUT "JUST FOR" LOOKING AT YOU (the best song on the album by the way). Other standout tracks are "Too Bad" and if you like your Rock guitar heavier then there's "Hollywood", "Never Again", and "Woke up This Morning". Altogether an incredibly consistent album put together with a lot of care, these guys obviously aren't messing around, they're determined to break this album worldwide. In fact, if I had to choose, I'd say "Silver Side Up" was consistently better overall than Staind's "Break The Cycle".
Now to the big question. Worth buying on import? Roadrunner are planning a UK release which (fingers crossed) will be this side of Christmas. No doubt, if they get their marketing and promotion right then Nickelback could storm the Album's Chart much like Staind did. But who cares:
a) This album is too good to wait for, its worth the import price; and
b) do you want to listen to great music now or follow the sheep to the Chart inyour local Our Price in two months time?