Profile for E. Hood > Reviews

Content by E. Hood

E. Hood (Aberdeen, Grampian United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Rudolf Nureyev: La Bayadere [DVD] [1994] [2001]
Rudolf Nureyev: La Bayadere [DVD] [1994] [2001]
Dvd ~ Rudolf Nureyev

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly Enjoyable ballet, 20 July 2007
I just enjoy this ballet. It is the only copy I have seen so am no expert. I find the filming is very good and sharp enough. I would not have noticed. The High Bramin is not the most authoritative figure.
Elizabeth Platel plays a great Royal Grandiose character who looks down on Nikia. The core de ballet is excellent in the Kingdome of the shades when the entire ballet comes on one by one in a long line.
As it mentions the fourth act has been omitted when the temple collapses. I don't know why. I like to have the whole thing. I wonder if it was time constraints or did Nureyev have other reasons.
He employed help of among others Ninel Kourgapkina his favourite partner at the Kirov. I always enjoy watching this.

A Midsummer Night's Dream - Pacific Northwest Ballet [DVD] [1999]
A Midsummer Night's Dream - Pacific Northwest Ballet [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Patricia Barker

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, 19 July 2007
This ballet has the story in the first half. There is great dancing, great music, Great Camera work by Ross McGibbon Close ups at correct times and distance shots all done as it should be. The lovers is one of my favourite pieces in all of ballet where the lovers get all mixed up aided by Pucks errors. Lisa Apple is perfect for the part and lets her emotions all out in her dance in that section. Great stuff.
The BBC even got an award for it. Children form the ballet school join in too.

Tatania has a pa deux de with a donkey to Mendelssohns beautiful music. Finally in thes secnd half you have treble wedding celebrations!

The second half is pure dance with famouse wedding music.

It has just about everything.

Airplane! [DVD] [1980]
Airplane! [DVD] [1980]
Dvd ~ Robert Hays
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Madcap slapstick nearly non stop, 15 Jan. 2007
This review is from: Airplane! [DVD] [1980] (DVD)
This parodys many films (mainly the airport disaster movies) and is not original. Watch it once. Then watch again to find all the jokes you missed visual or other wise the first time. Then again because it is that funny. It is just silly daft mad and a non stop farce. No wonder it was voted one of the top comedys of all time. It doesn't miss a gag. I rate this as my fav (Not original) comedy of all time. Somelike it Hot (Original).

The Sleeping Beauty [DVD] [2001]
The Sleeping Beauty [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Manuel Legris

4.0 out of 5 stars A Grande Production, 15 Jan. 2007
The first thing that strikes you is this is a very lavish production. Very Glitzy. There was no little Red Riding Hood (my name sake) so I was dissapointed. A touring company came to my theatre and did that comically, great fun. I know you do not judge ballerinas by doing 32 spins in Swan Lake or the Rose Adagio in Sleeping Beauty but Ms Dupont had both arms in the air then brought down one for the 4 princes who turned her round with no wobbles. I had goose pimples wow. She has shot up the ranks for me. She does look like a mature Aurora as opposed to a young fresh Aurora. Its wide screen lavish beautiful and well filmed with close ups at appropriate times better than the Kirov with Lezhina (the filming let that down)on DVD. This is my favourite Sleeping Beauty.

The Diary Of A Young Girl: The Definitive Edition
The Diary Of A Young Girl: The Definitive Edition
by Anne Frank

5.0 out of 5 stars Why the loss of 6 million, 9 Jan. 2007
I first heard about her as a child dramatised on TV which scared me. It still did with the pictures of the Holocaust till I went to the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam. Then I forced myself to read about her and her diary. At the start she is just an every day girl having fun and tells you about her daily life. All is then taken away in hiding and she talks about house mates and how things get worse. No where does she express hate for the evils but instead worries for the others suffering in the holocaust Disabled, Jews, Gypsies, etc.

Its why Im am always reminded that Racisim should never be allowed to extremes. 6 million individual lives who all had contributions to society all taken away. This book should be read by everyone. At the end of the day we are all much the same. Ignorance is the watch word. Read, ask and learn about other peoples ways faiths (where they come from first) then draw conclusions!

Tchaikovsky - The Nutcracker [1977] [DVD]
Tchaikovsky - The Nutcracker [1977] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mikhail Baryshnikov

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, 9 Jan. 2007
Basically I would think this is for Nutcracker nuts only. Its great but comes in the middle somewhere of all the ones Ive seen. It was filmed for TV and I think things are best when it is filmed with a live audience in a theatre. Thats just my thought. How ever at the start you see Barishnykovs fantastic skill in Slow motion, a pre highlight before the start and performing his jumps with the greatest of ease effortless. What he must have been like when he was excelling himself must have been out of this world. I would say for Nutcracker nuts only but still recommended. I like his Don quitoxe best for seeing his dancing.

Philips HQ8100 Philishave Speed XL Mains Only Shaver
Philips HQ8100 Philishave Speed XL Mains Only Shaver

3.0 out of 5 stars Good razor, 9 Jan. 2007
Have had for a week now and gives a very close shave. Closer than my old Philips. The only issue is the lead is not long enough to stretch and comes out so I have to hold the plug in. Pricey but you have larger cutting area on the blades with Philips Speed xl. I am happy with it anyway. I chose mains only as I think it is more efficient than charging. Though you can't obviously use in shower if thats what you want.

Update

Broke but to amazement when emailed Amazon they instantly despatched new one. Amazing customer service. I sent back old one and had refund of postage in this instance. Philips got a email as they offer two years warranty just as well!

Tchaikovsky: The Sleeping Beauty -- Kirov Ballet [DVD] [2003]
Tchaikovsky: The Sleeping Beauty -- Kirov Ballet [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Larissa Lezhnina

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed, 15 Nov. 2006
On the good side this is an excellent classical version of Sleeping Beauty and Larrisa Lezhina ia an excellent youthful Princess as she still is youthfull looking and a world class ballerina. (She positively dazles in the pas de deux before the Waltz of the Snow Flakes in the Nutcracker, my favourite pas de deux of all ballet I have ever seen. Available from Amazon as well). However this version is spoiled by the bad camera work which has too many distant shots for my liking and spoils the enjoyment of it. I feel the director did not make as much effort as he should have. Thats putting it nicely. I do not watch it as much as I would for this reason.

Life Is Beautiful [DVD] [1999]
Life Is Beautiful [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Roberto Benigni
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart warming (video version), 28 Oct. 2006
There was acts of courage in the Holocaust and this film trys to look at the good in people who show courage. I just shoved it in as I needed something to watch and quickly got hooked to it. It tones down the brutality that you usually see. It is very humerous and cheeky. I didn't know whether it was funny and heart warming or on the wrong side. It uses humour cleverly a powerful weapon to show the stupidity of an aryan race.

It got Hollywood Oscars which gives it backing as good but the amount of reviews is not surpising. I don't even cry at funerals but had a tear at the end. Only one other film did this. Just wonderful. I will buy the dvd now.

Tchaikovsky : Swan Lake [DVD] [2011] [NTSC]
Tchaikovsky : Swan Lake [DVD] [2011] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ The Kirov Ballet

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 21 July 2006
I first saw the Kirov perform this in Edinburgh and was amazed. Pure classical ballet. If the amazing Andre Ivanov was jester then 105% but he wasn't with them at the time. For some reason they filmed this with no audience in St Petersburgh. Does anyone know why not live? Better atmosphere. But just amazing with close ups done at all right times. If you just buy one version I would say it has to be this.

Page: 1 | 2