Profile for E. Foley > Reviews

Back Roads
Back Roads
by Tawni O'Dell

4.0 out of 5 stars Harrowing, but worth it., 24 Feb. 2003
This review is from: Back Roads (Paperback)
This is a great read in a pretty short book. It deals with the aftermath of the death of one parent and the improsonment of another, on a youth who then has care of his three sisters. It is not an easy read, but very gripping. You can see why Oprah chose it for a book choice.

Coastliners
Coastliners
by Joanne Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read - somewhat repetitious, 24 Feb. 2003
This review is from: Coastliners (Paperback)
This is a good read, but if you've read other Joann Harris books, you will soon notice that they are very similar in characters and plot. It deals with a girl returning to a French island where she was brought up and 'shaking things up' with the locals there. It is a good read, no question, but if you've read one or two others, be prepared for find it familiar territority.

Bear In The Big Blue House: Potty Time With Bear [VHS]
Bear In The Big Blue House: Potty Time With Bear [VHS]
VHS
Offered by stephensmith_426

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile., 21 Feb. 2003
This is a good video - with two editions of the 'Bear' show. The first deals with Potty Training, and is useful for a toddler to watch.
There are two issues - Tutter fogets to flush and another character has an 'accident', both of which are well delat with.
However, some of the phrases are quite American, and some of the content is quite advanced, but as the only Potty Training video on the market, it is worth having as an aid.

The Five Love Languages of Children
The Five Love Languages of Children
by Ross Campbell Gary Chapman

5.0 out of 5 stars The best parenting book I have read., 21 Feb. 2003
This short book is the best parenting book I have read - and indeed helps so much in marriage and other relationships too. The theory is that we all have one of five ways of giving and receiving love, and if you understand yours and other peoples, it helps to understnad their reactions, motivations etc. It is excellent. Knowing my 'love language' and my husband's has helped me so much. It is a really quick read and a very simple idea, but I found it really helpful.

Five Love Languages of Children
Five Love Languages of Children
by Gary Chapman

5.0 out of 5 stars Best parenting book I've read., 21 Feb. 2003

The Red Tent
The Red Tent
by Anita Diamant

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 Feb. 2003
This review is from: The Red Tent (Paperback)
This has all the hallmarks of a great novel - plently of interesting characters, a great story, and most of all, it makes you look at the world differently. Don't be turned off by the 'biblical' side - it is a good read that you will want to return to again and again. It tells the story of a minor character in the bible, describing in detail the lives of women at that time. It really is a book about women, men feature as minor parts, and it deals with all aspects of womanhood. You will never see the bible in the same way again, whether you are a believer or not. You cannot miss this great novel. I just wish she had already written a dozen more.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 1, 2009 10:08 AM GMT

Girl With a Pearl Earring
Girl With a Pearl Earring
by Tracy Chevalier

4.0 out of 5 stars You'll never look at a painting the same way again., 8 Jan. 2003
You know the kind of book that makes you flip to look at the cover again and again and again? This is one of those. It tells the fiction story of how the real painting on the front of the book took place. You will gaze at the cover by the time you finish the book, pieceing together all aspects of the painting. It was my first venture into historcial fiction, and I recommend happily.

The Color Purple [VHS]
The Color Purple [VHS]
VHS
Offered by Discountdiscs-UK : Dispatched daily from the UK.

5.0 out of 5 stars My all time favourite film., 7 Jan. 2003
This review is from: The Color Purple [VHS] (VHS Tape)
If you have not seen this masterpiece - do so. The story of sisters, who are seperated as children, but eventually reunited as women, is both harrowing and uplifting. The film illustrates to many aspects of black women's experience, and is acted excellently throughout. It is also beautifully shot and has a wonderful soundtrack. You will not be disappointed.

Open House
Open House
by Elizabeth Berg

3.0 out of 5 stars Promising start - fluffy end., 3 Oct. 2002
This review is from: Open House (Paperback)
I loved the start of this book - the domestic details interspersed with the pain Samantha experiences when her husband leaves, is really touching. As the book went on though, I began to find it too light, the pain and hardships are glossed over in favour of the various amusing experiences of Samantha's life. The fact that the end is so happy does not ring true for me, especially considering her son. Overall, a reasonably enjoyable read, but not as indepth as Oprah's other choices, most of which I enjoyed more.

The Book of Ruth
The Book of Ruth
by Jane Hamilton
Edition: School & Library Binding

5.0 out of 5 stars Can I give it 6 stars?, 4 Aug. 2002
This is one of the most touching books I have ever read, so much so than since finishing it about a month ago, I haven't wanted to pick up another book, because I don't want its memory to fade. I didn't get into it first time and gave up after one chapter, but my sister spurred me on, and I am so glad she did. I tells the story of Ruth and her relationships with those in her life and their own past histories also. Please please please read it. It is truely excellent. I also really enjoyed the same author's Map Of The World, which I would also totally recommend.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3