Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Amazon Customer

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
WhatsApp
WhatsApp

1.0 out of 5 stars Adequate but needs to be better for Fire. (Update: Now dead), 2 Jan. 2015
This review is from: WhatsApp (App)
Whatsapp is a necessary evil for any smartphone user, and it's good to see that Amazon recognised the need for Whatsapp with the release of the Fire Phone, and were able to get a crude Android port across. The slightly 3D logo and carousel notifications indicate that someone on Team Whatsapp spent maybe 10 minutes of effort on this, which is 10 minutes more than any other non-Amazon app available for the Fire Phone.

However, it's already behind the official Android version and keeps popping up with upgrade messages telling me that this version will be unsupported in 30 days. But of course the upgrade isn't available via Amazon yet.

Whether it stop working in 30 days remains to be seen. It also doesn't get 5 stars because the notifications don't integrate with the lockscreen, but that's more of an Amazon failing, I think.

EDIT: Right on cue, Whatsapp has stopped working (the other reviews should have been a sign). Reducing my 4-star review to 1-star until it's fixed. I know this is Whatsapp's fault, but Amazon need to get it sorted because it will drive off their few Fire Phone users if there isn't a decent mainstream IM platform available.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 15, 2015 5:48 PM GMT

Airplane!
Airplane!

2.0 out of 5 stars Basic, expensive, pointless, 31 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Airplane! (App)
I'm not sure why this has such good reviews. The controls are so basic that the planes don't behave like planes. For me that takes most of the fun of a flight simulator away right there.

The gameplay is no better. Flying from Zurich to Bristol sounds like a fun trip but then you see that both those airports are on small islands with no other features. So is every airport in the game, for that matter.

Since taking off is pretty much automatic (assuming you put the throttle to full and keep straight), the trips are all single directions to another island, and the controls are limited, the only real challenge is landing the plane... and it even offers to do this for you! Although in fairness you do forfeit some coins by doing this.

Coins, you say? Coins are the reward for completing missions, but from what I can see, they serve no real purpose. Unlocking more than 5 planes requires real money - and quite a lot of it - but there isn't enough gameplay to justify these.

Fun to play, once, but you'll be wanting more, and it's not on offer here.

FIFA 14 by EA SPORTS
FIFA 14 by EA SPORTS

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent gameplay but confusing offerings in one package, 13 Oct. 2013
This review is from: FIFA 14 by EA SPORTS (App)
Took about 4 days to download, which it didn't appear to be doing continuously. A bit odd and potentially annoying if you wanted to play this imminently (I wasn't bothered).

Touch controls are innovative but take some getting used to. I certainly prefer them over a virtual keypad though. Playing matches is fun and it even suggests you ramp up the difficulty if you're trouncing the other team.

What isn't so fun - as someone who isn't familiar with previous FIFA games - is figuring out what on earth all the different gameplay options are. From what I can tell, the only thing available to me are the 6 games of the day. Help me out, EA. I'm not interested in social media in my games, don't follow football closely enough for Ultimate Team to be any appeal (haven't heard of most of these players), and frankly don't understand what is being sold in the other part. Just some decent touchscreen football would be nice, but it's not on easy access here.

The Bluebeards Revenge Anti-Perspirant Deodorant Roll On 50ml
The Bluebeards Revenge Anti-Perspirant Deodorant Roll On 50ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Actually works!, 12 Oct. 2013
Bought this mainly on the strength of the unusual branding and other positive review, and the fact that I've exhausted trials of nearly every other brand on the market. The only ones I can guarantee to keep me dry for a full day at work are the likes of Driclor and Perspirex, which cost at least twice the price of this and need to be applied nightly.

Bluebeard's Revenge isn't quite as good as those specialist brands, but it comes close. Compared to the likes of Nivea, Lynx, Sure and others, it's far superior. No real smell of any sort, but isn't that what we're aiming for? I don't want to smell like "Jungle" or whatever those other things are. That's the job of my cologne rather than my deodorant.

In short, this offers superior dryness whilst maintaining its position at the "personal hygiene" end - rather than the "medical condition" end - of the anti-perspirant market. Lasts a fair while as well.

Gumdrop Bridge (Ad-Free)
Gumdrop Bridge (Ad-Free)

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I didn't listen to the other reviews, 12 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Gumdrop Bridge (Ad-Free) (App)
I was almost put off downloading this App of the Day by the other reviews, but glad I did. It's a half decent physics game, and the first I've seen of the bridge-building kind that doesn't require you to use a grid.

The need to collect coins is a novel addition to the genre and necessitates some inventive bridges. Finally, the dollar fund is a more realistic scenario than simply having a set number of pieces.

Sure, it could be more intuitive but the tutorial does the job. Great little game that doesn't need anything more than a little extra polish to be perfect.

Energy Sistem CAR MP3 F2 Black Knight
Energy Sistem CAR MP3 F2 Black Knight
Offered by Energy Sistem Official Store

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and flimsy, 19 Aug. 2013
I bought this on the recommendation of a forum user on a site discussing the much cheaper Chinese versions of this type of device. Worried that some of the £2-3 ones would break and get stuck in my car's cigarette lighter (read the horror stories), I decided to pay (not very much) more and go for this with a 3-year warranty.

The good: it plays from SD and USB as advertised, and sounds pretty good. It can read from different folders if you like your music split into albums or playlists, and is relatively easy to navigate using the remote control. While it won't remember your position mid-track if the power is lost (so not great for audiobooks), it will remember the track you were on... usually.

The bad: only a few weeks after purchase, the display has gone wonky, with some of the LEDs being temperamental. Occasionally, it comes loose and loses power while driving. Sometimes, when the power is lost, it will forget not only your previous track but also the broadcasting frequency. Very annoying.

I could perhaps make use of the warranty for the faulty screen, but in all honesty I'll probably go back to using the AUX-IN on my car. This isn't the nifty and hassle-free device I was hoping for.

EDIT: Two months later, the device has failed completely. I'll be contacting Energy Sistem about their 3 year warranty. On the bright side, it hasn't destroyed my power socket.

PortaPow 2.5A Quad USB Wall Charger with 3 Year Guarantee (UK Plug)
PortaPow 2.5A Quad USB Wall Charger with 3 Year Guarantee (UK Plug)

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, but disappointing, 19 Aug. 2013
I bought one of these in the hope that it would charge my Fire HD faster than my other adaptors, and also to reduce the number of sockets I'm using.

First impressions were poor. The printing of the honeycomb is very poor quality, and this extends to the logo and light squares, which aren't consistent in terms of shape or brightness. There's also plenty of weird marks and scratches below the plastic coating.

In terms of charging, it does as advertised. My supported devices certainly charge faster, Kindle Fire included, and the indicator lights are great. However, the faster charging rate seems to play havoc with touchscreen devices: trying to use them while charging just results in random inputs. This is really irritating. I've tried different ports and different cables; but there's no getting away from the fact that this just doesn't happen when using a standard USB adaptor or computer port.

Maybe mine's just faulty. I've tried to contact PortaPow but seeing as they're using Fulfilled by Amazon, it seems impossible to get any product-related support via this site. As of yet I'm still undecided whether to return it; it does what I need but could have done without these unexpected issues.

Super Stickman Golf 2
Super Stickman Golf 2

3.0 out of 5 stars Novel, infuriating, glitchy, 19 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Super Stickman Golf 2 (App)
I couldn't decide whether I loved or hated this game. It's frustrating when you mess up a hole, but that doesn't stop you returning to it afterwards. There's a certain addictive aspect to collecting the various hats and levelling up though.

On that point, levelling up takes too long. If you've nailed a gold star on every previous course, it's annoying to have to keep playing them over and over to unlock the next batch (although you can pay to level up... I guess this is the incentive).

Sadly, the most recent update is glitchy, crashing on my Fire HD where the previous version worked fine. It also had the side effect of wiping all my progress. Not impressed having to start from scratch, and to add insult to injury it won't let me use my old username as it's already taken (by me).

Slingshot Racing
Slingshot Racing

4.0 out of 5 stars Immensely addictive, 19 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Slingshot Racing (App)
Great concept; easy to learn and tricky to master. The career mode has a great variety of game styles: the elimination mode is particularly thrilling.

A few more tracks would really make this game. It'd also be nice if it were more obvious how to unlock the better cars or use them in the tournament mode. Seems to be a bit hit and miss as to which you end up racing in?

Pocket Rally
Pocket Rally

2.0 out of 5 stars Distinctly mediocre, 19 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Pocket Rally (App)
It's difficult to give a poor review to a game as cheap as 65p that doesn't have anything fundamentally wrong with it. Unfortunately, Pocket Rally just isn't a good game. The handling isn't very realistic, the tracks are uninspired, and the interface feels amateur.

Your mileage may vary. It wasn't 65p wasted, but neither was it 65p well-spent.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5