Profile for John Bernard Watson > Reviews

Content by John Bernard W...

John Bernard Watson

Page: 1 | 2
Canon Pixma MG6350 Black Inkjet, 6226B008
Canon Pixma MG6350 Black Inkjet, 6226B008

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this printer, 17 April 2014
I bought this printer to replace a small Hewlett Packard that had served me well for about 10 years. Inevitably it simply wore out and could no longer pull sheets of paper from the tray. It produced wonderful photographic prints. So, for some insane reason I bought this thing. To talk about the "quality" of its printing is a misnomer - there is no quality to its printing. It produces the most feeble, grainy, washed-out, dull, flat prints that one could imagine.

In addition, even its text printing isn't completely black, it's more of a murky dark grey.

In addition, every time I want to print something, say half a page of text, it goes through an endless routine of whirring, buzzing, ticking, clicking, scraping and shaking before it even begins to print. Then once the murky dark grey text has been spat out and I want to turn it off, it begins another endless routine of intensely irritating self-important noises, which cannot be stopped. It's like being imprisoned in a bedsit with a doubly incontinent, ancient, aggressive relative with dementia and a bad attitude problem. I hate it.

I'm a pensioner and I can't afford to buy a replacement so I'm bitterly stuck with this wretched, awful thing. I wouldn't advise buying this printer.

The Inbetweeners - Series 1-3 - Complete [DVD]
The Inbetweeners - Series 1-3 - Complete [DVD]
Dvd ~ Simon Bird
Offered by Its New 2 You

1.0 out of 5 stars Is there an adjective below abysmal? If so, it belongs here., 9 Mar. 2014
Great humour is very simple. It requires at least one strong character as well as intelligent, creative, witty and imaginative writing. The Inbetweeners succeeds in cleverly avoiding all these criteria.

Canon MP101 Matte Photo Paper (A4, 170GSM, 50 Sheets)
Canon MP101 Matte Photo Paper (A4, 170GSM, 50 Sheets)

1.0 out of 5 stars Can Canon Con the Consumer more Consistently and Continuously?, 9 Mar. 2014
This paper produces the most washed-out, feeble, pale, contrast-free, weak, disappointing prints imaginable. That may be because I used a dreadful printer called the Canon PIXMA MG7150. There's a sucker born every minute. I bought that printer and I bought that paper. I have to admit that I'm a sucker.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 22, 2014 11:36 AM BST

Plebs [DVD]
Plebs [DVD]
Dvd ~ Joel Fry

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't wait, BUY!, 9 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Plebs [DVD] (DVD)
Funniest, cleverest, most creative, engaging, endearing, divinely acted, and entrancing credits ever created. And then the programme itself is even better! I love Plebs. The actors are great, the script is great, the imagination and creativity is great. And simply it is so good-humored and really, really funny. Compared to current dire nightmares such as The Inbetweeners and Fresh Meat, Plebs is Rabelais on steroids.

A Hard Day's Night (1964) The Beatles DVD
A Hard Day's Night (1964) The Beatles DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Art, 9 Mar. 2014
My advice to any of you out there thinking about taking the plunge and purchasing this film is to: Buy, watch, love.

Fresh Meat - Series 1 [DVD]
Fresh Meat - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Joe Thomas
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars For the vacuous of mind, 9 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Fresh Meat - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Great humour is very simple. It requires at least one strong character as well as intelligent, creative, witty and imaginative writing. Fresh Meat succeeds in cleverly avoiding all these criteria.

Canon PIXMA MG7150 All-in-One Wi-Fi Printer - Brown
Canon PIXMA MG7150 All-in-One Wi-Fi Printer - Brown

2.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this printer, 9 Mar. 2014
This is a very unpleasant printer. It's difficult to know where to begin. For example, it asks you if it’s OK to send periodic reports to the manufacturer of how you’re using the printer. In these post-Snowden days aren’t Canon aware that people resent having their personal information broadcast across the web?

Next is the length of preparation time that the printer feels compelled to go through before it deigns to print a sheet of paper for you. I simply want a half-page of text to be printed. I do not want to listen to several minutes of wheezing, huffing and puffing and minor percussions taking place inside the box before I receive my sheet of paper.

Then there’s the shutting down that seems to take forever. This starting and finishing behaviour sounds as if vast quantities of ink are being discharged unnecessarily in order to force the customer to buy more of Canon’s outrageously price-inflated ink cartridges.

Then there’s the watery, pale black ink in which every letter is printed. It’s simply not BLACK.

And finally there are the “colour” prints, which are so washed-out, pale, and lacking in colour contrast that they only merit decorating the waste-paper basket.

This is a dreadful printer.

Mid-century Ads: Advertising from the Mad Men Era - 2014 Wall Calendar (Taschen Wall Calendars)
by Taschen
Edition: Calendar

5.0 out of 5 stars Good strong images, 9 Mar. 2014
This calendar contains well chosen dramatic images that are dynamic, interesting and arresting. It's a geat wall decoration for a year.

British Library Illuminated Manuscripts wall calendar 2014
British Library Illuminated Manuscripts wall calendar 2014
by Flame Tree Publishing
Edition: Calendar

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful piece of wall decoration, 9 Mar. 2014
Very satisfying to look at, to be reminded of ancient history is somehow appropriate for a calendar that shows time and our lives disappearing into the past.

Dell Latitude D620 Core 2 Duo 1GB 80GB DVD Rom 14.1" WiFi Wireless XP Professional Laptop Notebook

4.0 out of 5 stars An (almost) flawless purchase, 9 Mar. 2014
This laptop is fantastic value for £119. The condition of the computer is excellent and the refurbishment carried out by PWYC cannot be faulted, except that one of the four USB ports does not work. For me, that is not a problem.

(And as I had the laptop delivered to Spain where I live, I could hardly be bothered to go to the effort of repacking it, paying the postage, and sending it back to the UK for such a trifling matter.)

I bought this laptop after upgrading my PC to Windows 7 and discovered that my three favourite pieces of chess software do not work with Windows 7.

After having used and written books about Microsoft’s software for more than two decades, I am extremely used to the overweening arrogance of Bill Gates and his dismissive contempt for the needs of his customer base. Therefore I tailor my use of his wretched software accordingly.

So I do not need four USB ports, my three chess programs work perfectly on this machine. Also, given that it’s an XP-based computer, and that Microsoft is tipping us XP users overboard in the interests of their profit margins and their shareholders’ dividends, it’s neither wise nor necessary ever to connect this laptop to the internet again. So for me it’s now a dedicated chess-playing machine with which I could not be more delighted.

One point concerning the emails that I received both from Amazon and from PWYC between ordering the laptop and receiving it, is that each email referred to this laptop as have an 80Gb hard drive. When ordering the laptop I took a screenshot of the details of the purchase (I’ve been burnt before), and that screenshot shows quite clearly that it has a 40Gb hard drive. This is a detail that could possibly be corrected in the future to avoid raising the expectations of other purchasers unnecessarily.

I love this laptop and it’s burning away by my side as I write, as it always does for at least 16 hours each day. It still beats me over the chess board, but that’s also great.

Thank you, PWYC. I love it and I love you for a fantastic great-value product (sod that USB port, who needs it?).

Page: 1 | 2