Profile for adepink > Reviews

adepink

The Housekeeper and the Professor
The Housekeeper and the Professor

5.0 out of 5 stars The beauty of Math, 9 April 2015
I never understand what my son and other scientists meant when they call an equation is "beautiful". That is until I read this book. Even a non-mathematician like me can understand the beauty of prime numbers and the perfect number from this book. More than math, it is the beauty of true friendship. Worth reading mire than once!

The Last Vatican Knight
The Last Vatican Knight

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter rubbish, 18 Jun. 2014
Never again I'll read book by David Whelan! It's like reading a story by a teenager who did not pass their English exam, or written by an ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) student. I wonder if there was any professional editor involved? The grammar is almost unreadable. Spellings are also full of errors - altar and alter is only one among many.
The plot is so illogical, that checking the facts makes readers cringe. It is not difficult to check on maps and search engines that Fort Bragg in north carolina, west coast of USA, is 549 miles away from Manhattan, New York. How on earth an army convoy could cover the distance in an instance is beyond logic.
There is no consistency in the characters. At the beginning the hero was called Peter Morgan, then he became Andrew Morgan, then Peter again. The Pope also changed name from Pius XV to Pius I back to Pius XV. I wish I could get a refund, for £1.99 is too much for this rubbish. Even if it's free, it's a waste of time.

The Testament of Mary
The Testament of Mary

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 18 May 2014
Disappointing... Not as deep as I thought a Booker Prize nominee would be... Too bad.. I was expecting something better.

Fabric of Man (for Crichton/Brown fans)
Fabric of Man (for Crichton/Brown fans)

4.0 out of 5 stars Agree that this is Crichton and Brown combined, 18 May 2014
Yes, it is as gripping as Crichton and Brown combined...! Love the character Dolan. Although there are some typos and one big mistake of placing Parthenon instead of Pantheon in Rome. I think Parthenon should be the Greek one? Aside from that, this is a very good and enjoyable book. I read this on my holiday in Rome and Vatican...makes things seem more 'lively'. Can't wait for the next book...!

My Year of Meats
My Year of Meats

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye opening. Authentic and wholesome, 26 Feb. 2014
This review is from: My Year of Meats (Kindle Edition)
Once started reading, I could not stop... Even on the gruesome part about slaughter house and hormones in beef industry. As a newly convert vegan, the part about cows in cages and their last walk to their death is very upsetting.

The book is an eye-opening, but also a reflection on media industry. As an ex-documentarian, I relate very closely to this book. As a mixed ethnic and multicultural woman, I feel even closer to Jane - and to Ruth Ozeki, the author of this stunning book.

The part about Akiko is disturbing, especially because I know the mindset of abusive husbands backed by paternalistic society that institusionalised the stereotype of the submisive wive. Akiko's experience of abuse almost made me puke.

Two thumbs up for Ruth Ozeki...! I read her books backward from the latest to this first one. Does not matter, all are enlightening! Can't wait for Ruth's 4th book...

A Tale for the Time Being
A Tale for the Time Being

5.0 out of 5 stars one of a kind, 12 Dec. 2013
Feels like the book is written for me. Can't stop reading this. The Zen meditation technique, zazen, worth trying.
This is just brilliant! You have to read this to understand why...
Highly recommended for anyone needing to get away from exhausting daily life👍

Dark Eye of the Jaguar
Dark Eye of the Jaguar

3.0 out of 5 stars entertaining, 30 Oct. 2013
Interesting read, quite gripping, but too much unnecessary details. Maybe needs more research to make the story more interesting. Still an entertaining read.

1.0 out of 5 stars interesting read but poor research, 11 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Next (Kindle Edition)
I agree with Crichton's end note against patenting genes and the commercialisation of scientific researc. However unlike Crichton's other books, some facts here are poorly researched. To start with, the use of the word "orang" as short for orangutan. Coming from Indonesian and Malay language, "orang utan" means jungle man or man of the jungle. Separate the two words and each has meaning og its own: orang is man or human, and utan means jungle. So to shorten orang utan to just orang completelt changed the meaning. Orang simply means human.

Another bad research is this sentence, lthe plane has left Bekasi." There is no airport, small airstrip or even grass runway in Bekasi! The nearest airstrip facility is Halim PK airport and air force base, which is not Bekasi but East Jakarta. Other airport in Greater Jakarta area is the Soekarno-Hatta International Airport in Cengkareng area, West jakarta.

I wonder what the Indonesian translation of this book is like. It would make most Indonesians, especially Jakartans, laughed at the ignorance of the author and publisher!

Captain
Captain

5.0 out of 5 stars gripping...!, 28 July 2013
This review is from: Captain (Kindle Edition)
I love the book for all the technical explanations from an experienced aviator. I love the way it higlights (though through fictional characters) the true airmanship that can never be replaced by computers and automation.

I would recommend this book for everyone in aviation business including my dad who is a great aviator himself, and to everyone who like good thriller...!

Fire Flight: A Novel (Nance, John J)
Fire Flight: A Novel (Nance, John J)

5.0 out of 5 stars more than fiction, 20 July 2013
I love all John's books, especially this one because it read so real...! Not only did I enjoy reading the gripping story plot, but I also learned a lot about airtankers and fighting wildland fires in the US.
Can't wait to see John's other book in Kindle version...!