Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Profile for adepink > Reviews

Content by adepink

adepink

Page: 1 | 2
The Troubled Man: A Kurt Wallander Mystery
The Troubled Man: A Kurt Wallander Mystery

4.0 out of 5 stars Reflection on growing old, 8 Mar. 2016
Henning Mankell's last book about detective Kurt Wallander makes one think about life, choices of career, family and the complicated relationship with one's parents. It's nice to read and think about one's grown up child, it's sad to read about the unresolved relationship with one's parents, but it's comforting to think about how human our problems are.

The old Wallander helps me accept that not all questions have answers....

Highly recommended, but only after reading all other Wallander's stories...

Girl on a Plane
Girl on a Plane
by Miriam Moss

5.0 out of 5 stars What a book!, 1 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Girl on a Plane (Paperback)
What a book!

Girl on a Plane is a very human story written by a brave author, dares to expose her own past, trauma and vulnerabilities.

I praise Miriam Moss for sharing part of her traumatic life experience - even through fiction. I sincerely hope that the brave 15-year-old who saw humanity even in the hijackers mature in full circle and overcomes her trauma.

The interactions between the girl and the hijackers described in a very 'normal human' way. Makes me wonder what happened to the real young hijackers who only wanted to go home? Psychologists can call this Stockholm Syndrome, but I'm sure for those who were there, it was simply human. Most of us human want to believe in each other's humanity and want to see a touch of goodness in others.

The book is based on real hijacking of BOAC flight to London in 1970 where the author was one of the hostages. On the postcript Miriam Moss explained which characters are fiction. To me, the book shows the difference in liberation movements in the 1970s and today's terrorists. People seem to be more human back then than today's terrorists...somehow.

Thank you Miriam for sharing this story! It was a very good read. I thank to my son Jacques who bought this book for me as a Christmas present...

The Little Old Lady Who Broke All the Rules
The Little Old Lady Who Broke All the Rules

5.0 out of 5 stars Famous Five for adults, 16 Nov. 2015
Growing up reading Famous Five and imagining about the adventure awaiting me in teenage year, I am now imagining about the adventures await me in my 70s...! Well of course old ladies are allowed to be crazy and adventurous. After all, we've given birth, raised our children, and juggle work-family-studies all our adult life. So here's the book that makes me cheerful growing old and proud of my few grey hairs. Seriously, this is THE Christmas present you want to buy for your parents or grandparents. Older people should not let the care home serve them rubbish food. Still, at the end of the day, you must not forget to be kind to others, remember that!

The Ocean at the End of the Lane
The Ocean at the End of the Lane

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, 2 Jun. 2015
To those who almost forget childhood, this book will take you home. The magic is scary yet it would make you feel safe and whole. A few tears might come out, don't worry, it's a sign that you find your old childhood.
To young adult and teenage readers, don't ever give up your childhood!

The Housekeeper and the Professor
The Housekeeper and the Professor

5.0 out of 5 stars The beauty of Math, 9 April 2015
I never understand what my son and other scientists meant when they call an equation is "beautiful". That is until I read this book. Even a non-mathematician like me can understand the beauty of prime numbers and the perfect number from this book. More than math, it is the beauty of true friendship. Worth reading mire than once!

The Last Vatican Knight
The Last Vatican Knight

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter rubbish, 18 Jun. 2014
Never again I'll read book by David Whelan! It's like reading a story by a teenager who did not pass their English exam, or written by an ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) student. I wonder if there was any professional editor involved? The grammar is almost unreadable. Spellings are also full of errors - altar and alter is only one among many.
The plot is so illogical, that checking the facts makes readers cringe. It is not difficult to check on maps and search engines that Fort Bragg in north carolina, west coast of USA, is 549 miles away from Manhattan, New York. How on earth an army convoy could cover the distance in an instance is beyond logic.
There is no consistency in the characters. At the beginning the hero was called Peter Morgan, then he became Andrew Morgan, then Peter again. The Pope also changed name from Pius XV to Pius I back to Pius XV. I wish I could get a refund, for £1.99 is too much for this rubbish. Even if it's free, it's a waste of time.

The Testament of Mary
The Testament of Mary

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 18 May 2014
Disappointing... Not as deep as I thought a Booker Prize nominee would be... Too bad.. I was expecting something better.

Fabric of Man
Fabric of Man

4.0 out of 5 stars Agree that this is Crichton and Brown combined, 18 May 2014
This review is from: Fabric of Man (Kindle Edition)
Yes, it is as gripping as Crichton and Brown combined...! Love the character Dolan. Although there are some typos and one big mistake of placing Parthenon instead of Pantheon in Rome. I think Parthenon should be the Greek one? Aside from that, this is a very good and enjoyable book. I read this on my holiday in Rome and Vatican...makes things seem more 'lively'. Can't wait for the next book...!

My Year of Meats
My Year of Meats

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye opening. Authentic and wholesome, 26 Feb. 2014
This review is from: My Year of Meats (Kindle Edition)
Once started reading, I could not stop... Even on the gruesome part about slaughter house and hormones in beef industry. As a newly convert vegan, the part about cows in cages and their last walk to their death is very upsetting.

The book is an eye-opening, but also a reflection on media industry. As an ex-documentarian, I relate very closely to this book. As a mixed ethnic and multicultural woman, I feel even closer to Jane - and to Ruth Ozeki, the author of this stunning book.

The part about Akiko is disturbing, especially because I know the mindset of abusive husbands backed by paternalistic society that institusionalised the stereotype of the submisive wive. Akiko's experience of abuse almost made me puke.

Two thumbs up for Ruth Ozeki...! I read her books backward from the latest to this first one. Does not matter, all are enlightening! Can't wait for Ruth's 4th book...

A Tale for the Time Being
A Tale for the Time Being

5.0 out of 5 stars one of a kind, 12 Dec. 2013
Feels like the book is written for me. Can't stop reading this. The Zen meditation technique, zazen, worth trying.
This is just brilliant! You have to read this to understand why...
Highly recommended for anyone needing to get away from exhausting daily life👍

Page: 1 | 2