Profile for Brocks > Reviews

The White Tiger
The White Tiger
by Aravind Adiga

1.0 out of 5 stars Very over-rated book, 20 Nov. 2009
This review is from: The White Tiger (Paperback)
I'm not sure why this book has had such adulation. After reading a Fine Balance (Rohinton Mistry) this book is a poor comparison. It does not really give any true insight into India (I have lived in India for nearly 2 years, and employ a driver myself). If you really want to get into the psyche of the people and the acceptance of their lot in life, read A Fine Balance. If you want an easy read, with a thin plot, and little depth you will probably enjoy this.

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas (Xbox 360)
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas (Xbox 360)
Offered by Real Satisfaction

5.0 out of 5 stars Tense, balanced and great in co-op mode, 2 Jan. 2007
I've never been into the "squad shooter" style of games before, and was looking to try one since getting an XBox 360.

This is the first of the "Tom Clancy" range of games I have ever bought, and even after hearing lots of good reviews, I feel inclined to add to this heap of praise.

The game is not all about military planning and watching the game do the work for you, but is a great balance between the planning a maneouvre and guns blazing action. For me, the most enjoyable part is playing in the co-op mode (split screen with a friend in my case). You may cry in frustration that continually repeating your "all guns blazing" attack on the room ended up with both of you dead, until you realise that a different, perhaps more tactical and teamwork based approach is more efficient and in fact, more rewarding - and the real fun element comes from discussing how you are going to clear the room BEFORE you storm in and laughing at your mate who just emptied a clip at the enemy and still couldn't quite hit him while bursting into the room.

Great fun, and a great introduction into squad based style shoot-em ups.

Panic
Panic
by Jeff Abbott

3.0 out of 5 stars A "no-brainer" book, 19 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Panic (Paperback)
This is a good book to pass some time, and doesn't require a lot of effort. The central character's transformation through the book is not wholly believable, and there are holes in the plot (e.g. travelling from the US to London doesn't seem to involve any time or timezone differences!), but that all said I still enjoyed it.

I would not put this down as an all time favourite, and compared to "The Afghan" by Frederick Forsyth that I read just before this, it does not have the same intelligence or believability (if that is real word?). You won't regret buying it, but I don't think it is book of the year material for me.