Profile for selliot > Reviews

Content by selliot

selliot (sheffield)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
How to Blitz Nits (and other Nasties)
How to Blitz Nits (and other Nasties)
by Mumsnet

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant – both hilarious and informative, 20 Sept. 2017
Absolutely hilarious from the first page! This book made me laugh out loud several times, but as well as being entertaining, it's extremely well-written and contains some sensible and useful advice. I bought this for my son and his partner who have a 20-month-old. I wish it had been around when he and his sister were scratching their heads and bottoms and shoving things up their noses.

I Am, I Am, I Am: Seventeen Brushes With Death - The Breathtaking Number One Bestseller

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning read, 20 Sept. 2017
I found this book absolutely stunning and I can't stop thinking about it. I've loved most of Maggie O'Farrell's novels, and wasn't sure I'd enjoy the memoir quite as much, but as ever, the writing is so precise and evocative, you find yourself drawn in to the experiences she describes, some of which are terrifying, some heartbreaking, and some – being patronized, not believed, and dismissed by a hospital consultant, for example – absolutely enraging. This is a fantastic read – highly recommended.

Motherlove
Motherlove

4.0 out of 5 stars another page turner, 18 Sept. 2017
This review is from: Motherlove (Kindle Edition)
This is the third book I've read by Thorne Moore, and while I didn't love the characters quite as much in this one as I did in the others, the storytelling is superb and the plotting skilfull. The story is told from different viewpoints and the reader is kept guessing for quite some time as to the connection between the characters. A page turning story with a satisfying ending.

Shadows
Shadows

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusual, compelling and atmospheric., 18 Sept. 2017
This review is from: Shadows (Kindle Edition)
I absolutely loved Thorne Moore's A Time for Silence so was keen to read this one. I was slightly hesitant, given that there's a touch of the supernatural about this story, but I needn't have worried. The protagonist's ability to sense death is written in such a convincing way that we simply accept it as part of her character. A great read - I loved the setting and found the characters fascinating and convincing, especially the relationship between the loving mother and her abusive son 'only a mother could love him'. This is a compelling, atmospheric, and (pleasantly) chilling novel. Recommended!

Exquisite
Exquisite

5.0 out of 5 stars exquisitely satisfying, 20 July 2017
This review is from: Exquisite (Kindle Edition)
Exquisite is one of the most unusual thrillers I've read, and one of the most thrilling. Initially, we sympathise with both the viewpoint characters, but then it becomes clear that someone isn't telling the truth. Bo is a successful novelist who appears to be a kind, home-loving woman, a devoted mother to her two adored daughters, and a caring and supportive friend/mentor/lover. Or is she a manipulative psychopath? And is Alice really a vulnerable though talented young woman who has fallen unexpectedly in love with an older, more experienced writer, or is she a besotted and unhinged stalker? This novel is cleverly plotted and constructed to keep us wondering who is really telling the truth until quite a way through the novel. It is a beautifully and intelligently written thriller with depth – I loved the exploration of the nature of motherhood from the point of view of both women. a compelling and terrifyingly convincing thriller with an ending that is immensely, deliciously, exquisitely satisfying.

A Time for Silence
A Time for Silence

5.0 out of 5 stars superb storytelling, 10 July 2017
I absolutely loved this novel. From the very first page I knew I was in the hands of a skilled storyteller, and it was one of those novels that was hard to put down, and that I couldn't wait to pick up again, knowing that I would soon be lost in the story. The narrative flips back and forth between past and present, and although I was slightly more interested in the past story, each strand was compelling in its own right. This is the first novel I have read by this author, but it certainly won't be the last!

The Many Colours of Us: The perfect heart-warming debut about love and family
The Many Colours of Us: The perfect heart-warming debut about love and family

4.0 out of 5 stars An accomplished debut, 8 May 2017
The Many Colours of Us is an accomplished debut. I was instantly drawn into the story by the convincing, engaging characters. I loved Julia and her lovely handmade clothes, and the gorgeous but mysterious Edwin. I also liked Julia’s glamorous but slightly eccentric mother, and the quiet, kindly Johnny. The story moved along at a good pace and I found it a compelling read - a love story, but not slushy or overly sentimental. I really liked the notion of ‘family’ being about more than simply blood ties. I look forward to this author’s next novel.

The Queen of Wishful Thinking
The Queen of Wishful Thinking
by Milly Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars An immensely satisfying read, 28 April 2017
I absolutely loved this book. You know from the very first page that you’re in the hands of an accomplished storyteller, and you just know this will be a satisfying read. I so admire how the author has managed to combine a heartwarming love story with a page-turning plot. There are moments of sadness when Bonnie seems doomed to be forever tied to a controlling and emotionally abusive husband, but there are so many moments of joy as she gradually realises how much she is loved by the people who really matter. There are a great many moments of humour in this novel, too, and the cast of minor characters are an absolute delight. I’ve only read a couple of Milly Johnson’s books before, but this seems to have hit a new level. I do most of my reading in the mornings over breakfast, so when I woke up this morning and remembered that I’d finished it, my heart sank. It’s wonderful!

Stronger Than Skin
Stronger Than Skin

5.0 out of 5 stars tender and funny, 16 Mar. 2017
'Stronger than Skin is a cracking story, beautifully told. The writing is elegant and engaging, the voice both tender and funny. It’s a thoughtful and often touching novel, full of sharply-observed insights into the complexities of relationships and family life. Mark, the central character, is flawed but likeable. A good man who appreciates his comfortable, middle-class life and loves his wife and ‘two-and-a-bit’ kids, but all this is threatened when his past comes back to haunt him. It’s a gripping story, and you want to turn the pages to find out what happened in the past. But you also want to linger and spend time in the company of the glorious cast of characters you meet as the story unfolds. The supporting characters are as flawed and as human as the protagonist himself, and some are more likeable than others. But all are so exquisitely drawn that you feel you know every single one of them. Sometimes funny, sometimes sad – a deeply satisfying novel.'

Nearest Thing to Crazy
Nearest Thing to Crazy
by Elizabeth Forbes

4.0 out of 5 stars I thought the story was brilliantly plotted. Put yourself in the position of the ..., 27 Jan. 2017
This review is from: Nearest Thing to Crazy (Paperback)
I found this utterly gripping. Yes, there were some plot points that stretched credibility a little, but I was prepared to suspend disbelief because overall, I thought the story was brilliantly plotted. Put yourself in the position of the protagonist - the more you plead your sanity, the more 'crazy' you appear. The really frightening thing is that there is a serious and truthful point to this story. Anyone who has ever suffered any kind of mental illness, depression, or postnatal depression, is forever labelled - a friend told me recently that her postnatal depression (16 years ago) has blighted her life because even doctors seem keen to put any ailment she's had since down to depression. Scary stuff! I found this a thrilling and terrifying tale of manipulation.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5