Profile for Lisbeth Davies > Reviews

Content by Lisbeth Davies

Lisbeth Davies "BookCoverGallery.com" (Kingsclere, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep

5.0 out of 5 stars Un.Put.Downable!, 4 May 2012
I read this in one sitting last night (and have the bags under my eyes to prove it) and whilst I'd agree that there are some implausible elements to the story I'd argue that (a) it's a work of fiction people! and (b) they in no way detracted from the overall experience.

And that experience? Very cleverly written, very involving, you care about the main character. You kind of guess what has happened but the journey there is a good one.

Lastly, I was very surprised to see the author photo this morning - I'd not expected the author to be male. Kudos to him for making me assume that it had been written by a female author.

Triangulation
Triangulation
by Phil Whitaker

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I've read (and re-read), 30 April 2011
This review is from: Triangulation (Paperback)
It was one of my new year resolutions to start writing appreciative Amazon reviews for books I've enjoyed... it's now April so I've failed miserably but I re-read Triangulation last night and had to come share one suggestion: Read. This. Book!

* Tip number 1: this is a "must finish in one sitting" experience - don't start reading this novel at 9pm unless you favour the bleary eyed look the next day).

* Tip number 2: Phil Whitaker's first novel Eclipse Of The Sun is in my top 3 favourite reads of all time - Triangulation comes a close 4th. If you enjoyed this, go read Eclipse of the Sun.

* Tip number 3: Nevil Shute fans will love Whitaker's writing. Whitaker fans suffering withdrawal symptoms until the next novel should go immediately and read a Nevil Shute novel (start with The Chequer Board) or A Town Like Alice).

The Innocent
The Innocent
by Harlan Coben

5.0 out of 5 stars Warning: don't start reading this unless you have a block of time to finish it!, 19 July 2010
This review is from: The Innocent (Paperback)
My youngest brother has long been a fan of Harlan Coben so I can't imagine why it's taken me this long to read one of his novels but hoo boy, am I glad I did. I'm also happy that I started this early on a Sunday morning because I was able to ignore the pile of ironing in the porch and settle down with a pot of tea (the first of many!) while I read this from cover to cover - from paragraph one, page one I was hooked by the story and the characters, both written with great warmth. Consider me a fan, I'm now going to start catching up on all of Mr Coben's other novels.

A Celebration of Soup: With Classic Recipes from Around the World (Cookery Library)
by Lindsey Bareham

5.0 out of 5 stars "If you are serious about cooking, this book is essential", 11 July 2010
Like Ms Bareham in the opening chapter, I'm tempted to tinker with the Roux brothers quotation ("If you are serious about cooking, good stock is essential") and say that if you are serious about cooking, this book is essential.

It's rare that I sit down and read a cookery book from cover to cover, preferring to hop, skip and jump to find recipes that appeal and can be prepared from ingredients I already have or can easily obtain but from the first page through to the end this book is an absolute joy for anyone learning to cook and especially for those like me for whom soup is a staple.

I was going to end by listing my favourite recipes but to be honest, that would take at least an hour so suffice to say that when you have a copy of this book (and you must!), do not miss making the chickpea soup with fried eggs and the black bean soup with prawns, you won't be sorry!

The King of Lies
The King of Lies
by John Hart

4.0 out of 5 stars A thumping good read!, 5 July 2010
This review is from: The King of Lies (Paperback)
I'm another fan who picked this up cheaply at a book sale and came straight to Amazon to find out what else John Hart has written. I'm just about to order "Down River" and "The Last Child" on the strength of this one.

If you enjoy reading thrillers that go beyond courtroom thrillers containing two-dimensional characters (Mr Grisham, I'm looking at you), then this book is for you. Despite the bleakness of many of the relationships there's a warmth, a sympathy in Hart's writing about them that I especially enjoyed. I think the author likes people and it shows in his work. Talking of which...

The only (teeny-weeny!) nitpick I have is with the main character's name ("Work") - I know it's a silly thing to get hung up on but it bothered me for the first chapter or so until I got into the story.

The Wrong Mother (Zailer & Waterhouse Mystery)
The Wrong Mother (Zailer & Waterhouse Mystery)
by Sophie Hannah

5.0 out of 5 stars A first rate thriller by a very accomplished author, 3 July 2010
I'm a little groggy this morning but I had to come write a five star review for this book because I enjoyed it immensely - it was well worth staying up until 04:20 to finish!

I picked up the paperback version of this up for 10p (10p!) at a village book sale because I liked the cover (the red roll top bath version) and the plot summary sounded intriguing. I was hooked from page 1, putting everything to one side to read it in giant chunks until last night when I curled up on the sofa with the dogs, made numerous pots of tea and read through to the final, satisfying pages.

Teeny nit-picking criticism - there are too many police officers involved, especially Sellers and the other one (see, can't remember his name). In real life the investigation could/would have been handled by Sam and Simon plus Charlie, all reporting to Proust. I think it would have greatly improved the earlier chapters of the book but it hasn't stopped me enjoying the book and coming on to Amazon to order all of Sophie Hannah's other books.

The other criticism is of the publisher's who released this novel both as "Point of Rescue" and "The Wrong Mother" (a better title I believe). Why on earth do they do this?

Summary: A first rate thriller by a very accomplished author.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 3, 2010 4:24 PM BST

The Point of Rescue (Culver Valley Crime)
The Point of Rescue (Culver Valley Crime)
by Sophie Hannah

5.0 out of 5 stars A first rate thriller by an accomplished author, 3 July 2010

Summary: A first rate thriller by a very accomplished author.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 3, 2010 4:25 PM BST

The Sweet Spot: Asian-Inspired Desserts
The Sweet Spot: Asian-Inspired Desserts
by Pichet Ong

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful photography, even better recipes!, 1 July 2010
I'm old enough to remember the days when the only choice of dessert at many Chinese restaurants here in the UK was lychees or vanilla icecream so I was delighted to receive this as a birthday gift.

I often cook Asian starters & main courses and it always seems a bit of a let down to finish with a traditional British pudding and I'd been meaning to research some ideas. I need look no more, this book had me reaching for the oven knob, keen to get started on at least 8 of the recipes at first glance. A longer reading doesn't disappoint and the recipes I've tested have worked wonderfully and been much appreciated by guests (but not their waistlines...!)

The photography throughout is excellent, I defy anyone to look through these pages and not want to start preparing them immediately. The all important recipes though are very clearly written.

The recipes:
For entertaining, the Chocolate and Vietnamese Coffee Tart and Caramel Nut Tart have both been successful but not as much as the Chocolate Kumquat Spring Rolls - they really are a delight to serve, seeing the bemusement on your friends' faces as they wonder why pudding is spring rolls... one dig of the fork later and they're grinning happily, unable to talk because they're gobbling up the deliciousness on their plates!

The chocolate fortune cookies were a huge hit with the grandchildren - it's easy to customize small strips of paper with text and tiny drawings for each child then pack them up into little cardboard boxes. Time-consuming? Yes, but that's what doting grandmas are for!

My only concern is the hefty price - if the publishers were to bring out a paperback version I think this book would do extremely well in the UK, I would definitely buy copies of it to give as gifts.

Sworn to Silence (Kate Burkholder 1)
Sworn to Silence (Kate Burkholder 1)
by Linda Castillo

4.0 out of 5 stars A rattling good read!, 29 Jun. 2010
Like other reviewers, I too stayed up rather too late to finish this book in one sitting. I'd also agree that it wasn't difficult to guess where the plot was going (both the whodunnit and the whydunnit) but the characters are well written and it's a perfect (if a little gruesome at times) novel for long, hot summer nights. I'll definitely be reading the follow-up novel (Pray for Silence) and am just debating whether to order it on Amazon or wait for it to come back into the local library (there's a watiing list!).

The only distraction which is neither the fault of the author nor the book itself is that I found myself wondering who will be cast in the main roles when it is (as it surely will be!) made into a Hollywood movie!

New Lap/Laptop Desk/Table with Light/Lamp & Cushion
New Lap/Laptop Desk/Table with Light/Lamp & Cushion
Offered by De-Opera Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars My dogs think this is wonderful!, 26 April 2010
I hesitated for quite a while before buying this because frankly, it's not the most attractive thing in the world but having recently inherited a lovely Toshiba widescreen laptop I was very keen to be able to use it (and a mouse, not those pesky nipple wotsits) while sitting of an evening on the sofa with one or more dogs.

I looked at some very attractive (and pricey!) cherrywood lap desks but the budget was tight so I settled for this one.

Hoo boy, does it do the job! I can't remember the width of a Toshiba widescreen but it fits comfortably on this wider laptop cushion, with enough room to spare for a wireless mouse. Excellent!

I haven't bothered to fit a battery in the lamp and I never expected to use the cup recess (I drink "proper" cups of tea in big cups and saucers!) but it's slightly useful to have a pen recess in the front. Don't know where I'd store the paper though because our youngest pup is still at the "paper = food" stage.

Unexpected uses: my 3 year old grandson sat quietly for over an hour with paper and coloured pencils while I got on with the ironing (and didn't have to worry about him gouging the waxed pine dining table...!) A quick wipe with a damp cloth and the red, green, purple and yellow scribblings were gone from the plastic top too.

I would love to be able to buy this in another colour - black would be best of all but I'm sure there's a huge market for more attractive looking versions and I'll be keeping an eye out for them.

So instead of being chained to the office computer with a dog under foot, that's where you'll find me most evenings - middle of the sofa, reading books, studying or just surfing the web with a dog cosied up each side of me. I'm absolutely delighted with this - my dogs and I thank you!

Page: 1 | 2