Profile for James Gamble > Reviews

Atlas: From the Streets to the Ring: A Son's Struggle to Become a Man
Atlas: From the Streets to the Ring: A Son's Struggle to Become a Man
by Teddy Atlas

5.0 out of 5 stars Teddy Atlas, 6 April 2011
Excellent read, well written. Teddy Atlas has had a most varied life. He has learnt from his mistakes as a young man and relates this in the book. Cus D-amato was a father figure and their is no doubt he greatly influenced Teddy in turning his life around. Teddy has used his knowledge to develop fighters and to help many other people. A compassionate man and a book that has the ability to motivate others.

Merrell Men's INTERCEPT Hiking Shoe Dark Brown UK 8
Merrell Men's INTERCEPT Hiking Shoe Dark Brown UK 8

4.0 out of 5 stars Merrel Urban, 8 Mar. 2011
Worn these shoes many times now. Well if truth be known, wear these all the time - they are so comfortable. They are a smart shoe/trainer. You can get away wearing these on a saturday night restaurant outing and are certainly excellent on a long day's walk in the country with the dog. My only negative is the sole does wear on the heel, but then that could just be down to the large amount of use I have given them. Will be buying them again.

Complete Krav Maga: The Ultimate Guide to Over 230 Self-defense and Combative Techniques
by Darren Levine

5.0 out of 5 stars Krav Maga, 8 Mar. 2011
If you are interested in learning this form of self defence and wish to attend classes, then buy this book. Much of what you learn is in here and if you have a willing partner then practice makes perfect and this book will then become a good reference point. Besides, it's easy to forget some combat techniques and having the book will refresh all that you have learnt. Krav Maga is not a rigid form of self defence, unlike some other martial arts and is geared to real life situations. Through Krav Maga you turn self defence very quickly into an attack, in my opionion this and Jujitsu are the very best at this.

Human Instinct
Human Instinct
by Professor Lord Robert Winston

4.0 out of 5 stars instinctive behaviour, 8 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Human Instinct (Paperback)
We often forget that we are just another species of animal, a primate in our case. This book show's how we are programmed and how this affects us in the choices and decisions we make for example. I like to see through the modern society and get to grips with my inner animal from time to time. This book let's me explore this.

The Paleo Diet for Athletes
The Paleo Diet for Athletes
by L. Cordain

4.0 out of 5 stars Paleo diet for athletes, 13 Feb. 2011
This book explains the natural foods we consumed before the advent of Agriculture and why we should be following these food stuffs today. This book has varied receipes which I have been able to use on a regular basis. If like me you ever wondered why you have periods of tiredness during the day, upset stomach and food alergies, then this book would be a useful addition. The body craves all the foodstuffs which if eaten to excess, can do us harm. This book will inform you how processed foods, dairy and cerals can deplete the body of nourishment and impair athletic ability. If you follow this book or even just a bit of it, then your future supermarket shop will be quite different. A visit to the vegetable produce aisle and the meat section and your about done!

Outhwaites (Pet) Greyhound Waterproof Polyester Padded Coat Maroon 56cm (22 inch )

3.0 out of 5 stars Good coat for my whippet/greyhound, 1 Jan. 2011
I was concerened recently that my 11 year old whippet/greyhound would feel the chill in winter, particularly with how cold it has been recently. Thankfully I acquired this coat for my dog just before the December cold snap. It works a treat, gives me peace of mind that she is snug when walking. I do fold the neck cover over as it does bother her and being a bit of a drama queen she wears it on the lead then I take it off when she can run free. Otherwise she will not relax and go to the loo. As I said, a right drama queen, so we both compromise! It's an attractive coat and personally I feel looks better than some of the other gryhound coats I see. Oh and it's practical too, very easy to wipe over when your dog rolls in the fox poo.

Yaktrax Pro Traction Winter Traction Device
Yaktrax Pro Traction Winter Traction Device
Price: £11.71 - £51.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Beat the icy pavements, 12 Dec. 2010
Purchased a pair of yaktrax pro's and they have been absolutely one of my best buy's ever. I have had total confidence walking and running on the hazardous icy pavements and roads. While everyone else has been falling on their arse or shuffling along like a toddler just learning to walk, I've been walking and running this winter on the ice. Can't understand why everyone does not own a pair of these! Go out and buy some, stop wearing stupid socks over your shoes or walking on the road ready to get hit by a moving car.

Barefoot Runner: The Life of Marathon Champion Abebe Bikila
Barefoot Runner: The Life of Marathon Champion Abebe Bikila
by Paul Rambali

4.0 out of 5 stars Review of the Barefoot Runner, 11 Jan. 2010
What a fantastic read and insight into Ethiopa during the 1950's - 1960's, as seen from that great runner Abebe Bikila. Actually from the imagination of the author Paul Rambali, however much of what has been written must be factual and indeed the historical aspects did occur. The "king of kings", Haile Selassie wanted to raise the profile of his nation among the industrialised west and among his own people. He did this by employing a Finnish born Swede Niskanen to discover and coach atheltes to compete in the geatest athletic spectacle the olympics. The Rest his history and the marathon became the domain of the Ethiopian nation in the 1960's.

The Vanishing Face of Gaia: A Final Warning
The Vanishing Face of Gaia: A Final Warning
by James Lovelock

5.0 out of 5 stars Vanishing Face of Gaia Review, 26 Nov. 2009
This book follows on from the ages of gaia and the practical science of planetary medicine. Written in 2009 Mr James Lovelock uses the opportunity in his latest book to describe how people can be better placed to survive once Earth enters its hotter state.

I found the book a very interesting read and appreciate that Lovelock has focused on human behaviour and how this relates to the earth that we have manipulated for our own consumption.

Those of us who do beleive in climate change and gaia theory should enjoy this purchase as the book shows how we can be more decisive in the future management of mankinds actions. Instead of focusing on ourselves we may yet evolve in time to a much higher intelligent organism, one that protects earth and its habitats.

The Body Language Bible: The hidden meaning behind people's gestures and expressions
by Judi James

3.0 out of 5 stars The Body Language Review, 26 Nov. 2009
An interesting read, a good guide to people watching. In the book you'll learn how to identify how people are feeling by looking directly at there posture and subtle facial exopressions.

If you're interested in understanding body language in the work place then you have about 100 pages of this in part four.

I would have preferred to have seen more pictures in the book showing individual gestures.

Page: 1 | 2