Profile for funkycat > Reviews

Content by funkycat

funkycat

The Little Corset Book (Little Costume Workbooks)
The Little Corset Book (Little Costume Workbooks)
by Bonnie Ambrose

4.0 out of 5 stars Small and mighty, 19 Jan. 2012
Amazed at how small this book was when it arrived - in fact I was disappointed until I began to look through it. It is the size of a small pocket diary, so be warned have your glasses handy!

For all that, this book is jammed packed with great and useable info, ink drawn pictures, some flat working sketches, and lots of period detail info.

To translate this into an actual working pattern would require some pattern drafting experience and sewing dexterity, yet it is doable, and fantastically interesting historically. A good all-round handy guide, and although much smaller than I would like, it contains everything I needed to know.

I am a costume design student at uni, a qualified textile designer and have been sewing for over 20years. There is always more to learn, and this book proved that to me! I wouldn't recommend it to the novice corset maker, unless it was given as an inspirational gift :-)

Natural History Museum Pocket Monocular
Natural History Museum Pocket Monocular

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for an 8-yr old!, 19 Jan. 2012
It was alot of hassle actually getting this product over christmas, but finally arrived after weeks of waiting. The little boy it was intended for was delighted with it, and proved the most popular present (more than the bigger ones) over christmas. He hasn't stopped using it, and as regards value for money - as a stocking filler - I would highly recommend it for any young amateur naturalist.

Remember you do get what you pay for....if you want an all singing all dancing product for an older person, it will probably fall short. Its clearly intended for the younger person, and will give hours of free nature watching, lightweight, and easy to carry whenever out for a walk or picnic (small enough for little pockets).
As an adult I have also slipped it in my pocket too when going out for a walk, its not super powerful, but you wouldn't find me complaining for the money. A good, lightweight - yet robust product.