Profile for Mr. C. Oliff > Reviews

Content by Mr. C. Oliff

Mr. C. Oliff "cosmicata" (London, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Copilot Live 7 Software & Bluetooth GPS Receiver
Copilot Live 7 Software & Bluetooth GPS Receiver

1.0 out of 5 stars AVOID, 30 Sept. 2011
Seller SWHDIRECT is selling an old GPS receiver with a software download (that doesn't work) of an old unsupported version of Copilot. AVOID!

Fellowes Precision Cooler Laptop Riser
Fellowes Precision Cooler Laptop Riser

5.0 out of 5 stars It does exactly what it set out to do, with style, versatility and elegance, 13 April 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When the Fellowes notenook stand arrived, I was pleasantly surprised at the weight (421gm), strength and general build quality. It's a nice looking slab of metal with rounded corners, machined holes to allow heat dispersion and black plastic 'feet' to minimise movement or scratches on the desk. While designed for 13" or larger laptops, I mainly used it with a Samsung NC10 10" netbook and while some of the stand was showing on the left and right, it still sat perfectly and at a nicer raised angle than the netbook simply being on the desk without any stand.

The stand comes with a detachable USB-powered lightweight fan. Just plug the fan in to a USB port, and clip it underneath the stand (four pegs on each corner of the fan fit in to the holes of the stand) and it quietly sucks away any hot air. A nice touch is that the USB adaptor has a passthrough port meaning you can plug something else in too. My netbook rarely gets hot, but using the fan meant that the bottom of the netbook was cool even after 1 hours use.

I've reviewed many products for Amazon, but this is only the second I've rated 5 stars. It does exactly what its set out to do, with style, versatility and elegance. Recommended.

Freesourcing: How To Start a Business with No Money
Freesourcing: How To Start a Business with No Money
by Jonathan Yates

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting, 18 Feb. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There are some good tips and suggestions in here covering topics such as computers, legal help, banking and marketing/PR. However there is too much irrelevant and sometimes poor advice. At such a small cost for the book, some of the topics may be useful to you, but be prepared to come across a lot of info which won't be relevant/useful to you.

Norton Internet Security 2011, 3 Computers, 1 Year Subscription (PC)
Norton Internet Security 2011, 3 Computers, 1 Year Subscription (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Anti-Virus your can trust, 18 Feb. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used every annual Norton AntiVirus product since I got my first ever PC in 1998. The latest version makes a number of improvements to the 2010 edition.

There are more nice touches, such as the monthly report which pops up (you can disable this, but it's good to see an overview of any virus activity or issues with your computer).

I haven't run my Windows XP Pro SP3 computer without anti-virus so it's difficult to give an accurate review of how it is effecting performance, but it appears to not slow down the machine. There are some options you can turn off to reduce resources.

iPad Programming
iPad Programming
by Eric Freeman

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended quick-start guide for existing iPhone developers, 11 Feb. 2011
This review is from: iPad Programming (Paperback)
`iPad Programming' is designed as a quick-start guide for existing iPhone developers to get to grips with developing for iPad. Over the course of 13 chapters and 228 pages, the authors Daniel Steinberg and Eric Freeman take us through a number of key development concepts using straight-forward explainations and examples. The example code can be downloaded online so you can learn with them.

As an existing beginner iPhone developer myself, I found the first chapter very helpful as it talks through converting an existing iPhone app so that it runs on both iPhone and iPad (a `Universal' app). New iPad-specific functions such as split-view are explained, and in later chapters, custom keyboards, custom drawing, gestures and connecting to other devices are all covered. Key concepts are not explored in massive detail, but that's not the point of this book - it's a quick-start guide to get you quickly up and running... and it works! I had coded my first iPad app after just one day with this book and Steinberg and Freeman's explanation's are informal and easy to read which made me keen to learn more,

If I had to draw any negatives from the book, I'd mention the issue that inevitably all other technology/software books, the content ages quite quickly. Even though this title was only published in September 2010, just five months ago - iOS 4 has since been released for iPad, bringing a lot of changes and new functionality to developers (Airprint, Airplay, GameCenter, multitasking and lots more). The good news is that `iPad Programming' chapters and code examples are all still relevant and work well, its just that you won't see any coverage here of the new features of iOS 4.

Recommended quick-start guide for existing iPhone developers looking to expand to iPad development.

LEGO Games 3848: Pirate Plank
LEGO Games 3848: Pirate Plank

4.0 out of 5 stars a fun and competitive game which involves skill, tactical play and luck, 12 Dec. 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I received this Lego game to play with my 4 and 6 year old niece. My Nephew is a pirates lego fan so was very excited to play this. Setup takes about 5 minutes as you need to build the set (Lego pirate boat with cute little sharks fins in the sea).

The aim of the game is to knock the other pirates off the plank and be the last one standing. It's quite a competitive game which involves skill, tactical play and luck. One of the better games I've played.

Quite good value for money, though we were slightly disappointed the game didn't use the standard lego figures, but instead smaller `micro-figures'.

Amazon.co.uk Gift Card Quick Gift
Amazon.co.uk Gift Card Quick Gift
Price: £1,000.00

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 12 Dec. 2010
easy to buy, easy for recipient to use. Can be sent by email, printed out or delivered by Amazon. A great gift which is suitable for just about anyone.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat little box, 12 Nov. 2010
I'd owned the previous 40GB and 160GB models. I'll sell on my 160GB HD model now though. Here's my initial thoughts on the new model:

* I was pleasantly surprised with how great the build quality is. The unit is heavier than I thought and the black plastic with shiny AppleTV logo on top looks really smart. The aluminium remote feels great, a lot nicer to use than the plastic white one.
* Operation seems faster. I clicked around all the menus and there was no lag. This is an improvement over the original one
* Picture quality of the menus didn't look fantastic on a 24" Samsung monitor with HDMI. I'm not sure exactly why, but the text looked pixelly and the album cover artwork didn't look HD at all. I'll compare it to my AppleTV mk 1 later on.
* Overall there are some nice UI improvements, such as being able to view customer reviews of films (though only the first page), always showing the HD option and not the SD option (you can change this in settings).
* Accessing a shared library and streaming music and videos from a computer is a bit slow and cumbersome. I have TV shows on my iTunes on my computer, why don't my TV shows appear as an option from the menu. I really hope they fix this in a software update.
* The unit doesn't get hot at all, even when streaming HD. As anyone who has AppleTV Mk1 will know, the original gets very, very hot - even when not in use, so this is a welcome change.

Overall, a decent little box. I rent a film or two every weekend, so I'll be using this quite a lot. Looking forward to software updates with extra apps though (Weather, sports news etc). With iOS4.2 coming next week for my iPod touch 4th gen, the functionality should improve. Hope I can play Angry Birds on my TV. haha.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 11, 2010 5:27 AM GMT

Apple iPod touch 32GB - Black - 4th Generation (Launched Sept 2010)
Apple iPod touch 32GB - Black - 4th Generation (Launched Sept 2010)

4.0 out of 5 stars Should you upgrade? Review for current previous generation touch owners, 27 Oct. 2010
After owning a 2nd and 3rd generation iPod touch, I was looking forward to getting hold of the 4th gen, which looked like the biggest leap in features since the 1st gen was introduced over 3 years ago.

The box the touch comes in is smaller adnd nicer than the previous generation. Inside the box alongside the touch is the standard USB sync cable, a pair of standard Apple earphones (without mic or remote). I never use the stock iPod earphones, I tried them once for a minute but they don't sound good and don't fit well in the ear, so the fact that Apple cut costs by not including remote/mic on the earphones wasn't a problem for me at all.

Turning the device seeing the retina display properly for the first time made me say 'wow' out loud. It really is that good. I looked really carefully at very close distance and could really not see the inidividual pixels. Interestingly, I never had a problem with the pixel density on the previous iPod touch, but having now taken a look at my old one you really notice the difference.

iOS4 was a free update for previous gen iPod touch, so I'd already seen the improvements on offer, the retina display really makes the app icons with folders on the home screen much clearer.

The built-in microphone was a very welcome inclusion, I've used it for Skype a number of times and it works perfectly with really clear sound. The speaker seems to be very slightly louder than previous generation iPods too.

Speed-wise I noticed improvements, especially when scrolling around very large webpages. Apps appear to load slightly faster but I haven't done benchmark tests on that to confirm. I've never experienced any slowdown in the 6 weeks since I've been using it.

On the downside, I'm disappointed that Apple again didn't include GPS or a digital compass. Having this little device as a satnav would be brilliant. The wifi-only iPad has a digital compass so I'm not sure of the reasoning for not including one here. Other than GPS there isn't much else left out. They could have stuck in a FM radio, but I'm not sure how much I'd have used it if they had of done.

So then, should you get one? If you've got a previous iPod touch and use it a lot, I'd say yes. There a lot of benefits and improvements to the latest revision, you can perhaps (like I did) sell your old one on Amazon marketplace and get a new one for £100 more. To summarise you'd have a faster, thinner and nicer looking iPod with a video and still camera, gyroscope, built in microphone and that beautiful retina display. That's quite an upgrade I'd say.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2010 12:10 PM BST

MATTHEW HAWTIN PRESENTS ONCE AGAIN
MATTHEW HAWTIN PRESENTS ONCE AGAIN

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, beautiful, mellow soundtrack, 7 May 2010
weaving soundscapes, intricate melodies and sweeping synthesisers combine together meticulously by Matthew Hawtin (brother of DJ Richie Hawtin). This is a beautiful mixed album of some of the best ambient music from the past two decades. Note, that there is an extended 3-hour mix, which also comes with 20 unmixed tracks AND the cd-length mix, all available as a download for just a little bit more money than the CD. Highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12