Profile for R. L. Isaacson > Reviews

Content by R. L. Isaacson

R. L. Isaacson "Rivka" (London)

Fox
Fox
by Anthony Gardner

5.0 out of 5 stars Rip-roaring read, 16 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Fox (Hardcover)
Eek, wish I had just written my review without reading the others below first as now feel thoroughly unoriginal but agree with most everything people have said. Loved reading this - it was a madcap journey with lots of current themes - possibly a little unPC at times - very very funny. A beautiful book to hold - got a few envious looks from fellow commuters - as mostly a reluctant Kindle convert now this book really gave me joy - the illustrations are lovely. I was going to mention Wodehouse but see this has also been done. There is a majestic family of foxes living in my garden right now and I'm afraid I will never quite view them in the same light again. Agree it would make an excellent gift especially to someone who is aesthetically aware and likes to be entertained - safe bet that most would enjoy it...

Widows & Orphans
Widows & Orphans

5.0 out of 5 stars Just brilliant!, 11 May 2015
This review is from: Widows & Orphans (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyed this book so much. I found it very insightful on that minor topic of 'human nature'! It made me glad that I don't live in a small seaside town despite my secret fascination with Skegness, Scarborough, Bognor and the like. Not so secret now I guess. Anyway - read the book. It's a wonderful and very real story - quite tragic really on the inevitability of human failing - one of the things this author does best. I was fully engaged the whole way through. I have actually read every single one of Arditti's books so rushed to buy this and maintain my status as a completist. Am predictably astonished, each time there is a new one, by the breadth and depth of his subjects. Well he has done it again - love love this one and think it has very wide appeal.

Pear Shaped: The Funniest Book So Far This Year About Brain Cancer
Pear Shaped: The Funniest Book So Far This Year About Brain Cancer

5.0 out of 5 stars Much funnier than it should be, 20 Mar. 2015
This book is so much funnier than it should be. You feel guilty laughing but you can't help it. I read it on the tube and got a lot of funny looks from strangers. It's the complete opposite of Late Fragments - the best-selling cancer memoir from Kate Gross - which was also amazing but in a completely different way. Now you are going to think I'm a weirdo who just reads cancer books all day - honestly I'm not - these are the only two I've read. If this book counted as 'research' it would win an Ig Nobel prize because it fulfils the criteria of 'first making you laugh and then making you think'. Well what I think is that everyone should read it, weirdo or otherwise...

The Innocents
The Innocents

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant page-turner, 3 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Innocents (Kindle Edition)
The Innocents is a lovely book - Segal has a wonderful way with words. The story is a modern-day telling of The Age of Innocence - I have to admit I read the original so long ago that I can't make an accurate comparison though I was grateful for the interval as it meant I could not predict the ending with certainty. I recently met a very serious woman who was reading The Innocents in parallel with The Age of Innocents chapter for chapter and she said, 'It is incredible what Segal has done'. I have no intention of carrying out this exercise but it was very interesting to hear from someone who had. For me, as a Jew living in North London, but not really from the kind of community described, I enjoyed the portrayal of local colour and familiar places and characters. The plot was compelling and I could not help but read it very quickly but the thing I loved most was the beautiful use of language.

The Marrying of Chani Kaufman
The Marrying of Chani Kaufman

5.0 out of 5 stars Frighteningly accurate page-turner, 1 Aug. 2013
I was alerted to this book because it made the Booker long list and the title stood out as I grew up in a world similar to that portrayed within. To steal a phrase from Margaret Drabble 'I read the pages in fascinated alarm' and raced through it - it was a stimulating read, despite my being very familiar with the subject matter, and I thought it was spot-on in capturing the ups and downs of that life. It made me run a range of emotions and gave me quite a few laughs thinking back to school days. I imagine readers unfamiliar to ultra-orthodox Judaism will find it an even more gripping read as it is a window into a very private community. An interesting perspective from a wonderful debut novelist and I really look forward to future offerings from Eve Harris.

The Breath of Night
The Breath of Night
by Michael Arditti

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone go and read it!, 29 July 2013
This review is from: The Breath of Night (Paperback)
A superb piece of writing - full of surprises and a wonderful depiction of a culture entirely unknown to me beforehand. Funny, poignant and also extremely disturbing; it is an interdisciplinary education combining theology, sociology, psychology and recent history. Am tempted to give away the best joke about the corrupt judge but will retrain myself - you will have to go and read it.

Infinite Sky
Infinite Sky
by C. J. Flood

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful writing, 19 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Infinite Sky (Hardcover)
Incredibly moving story written with absolute courage and no inhibitions. Wonderful descriptions and intricately developed characters decorate the pages of a lovely cyan book. I am not generally a reader of young adult fiction but enjoyed this story very much, despite the frightening content, and have recommended it widely. I look forward to any future offerings from this stunning debut novelist.

Experimental Heart
Experimental Heart
by Jennifer L. Rohn

5.0 out of 5 stars Made me miss my stop on the tube..., 17 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Experimental Heart (Paperback)
I know it is a cliche but I couldn't put it down - v gripping. A realistic love story combined with a realistic lab story - I love the German post-doc - I think I know him. Scientists, finally a mainstream novel in your setting. Normal people, here's instant genius much more accessible than those books that try and teach you quantum physics in ten 'easy' steps. Read it now!