Profile for M. J. Loveridge > Reviews

Content by M. J. Loveridge

M. J. Loveridge "Mattleeds" (Leeds, UK)

Away
Away

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed again, 3 Nov. 2016
This review is from: Away (MP3 Download)
Let me just state for the record : Okkervil River have produced at least 2 of my favourite albums of all time....Then they released 'I am very far' where in my opinion was overproduced and overall disappointing. 'The Silver Gymnasium' came afterwards which was a slight improvement. So then they sort of split and Will wrote some songs about loss and death. I heard then that Will would basically release a 'solo' album under the name of Okkervil River. The articles I read pre the album release gave me hope of him getting back to his best. The first song released 'Okkervil RIP' did give me initial hope - back to the minimalist sound but the longer the album went on the more disappointed I became. I have now listened to it a number of times in the hope that it'll just suddenly click but alas it hasn't. The music sounds 'nice' enough but there are no key changes, hooks to make a song special...they sort of just amble along . My 10 year old just called it boring and I'm inclined to agree. I'm not sure what has happened with Will and his song writing but I'm afraid I won't be spending my hard earned cash on anymore future Okkervil River releases. I may update my review in future and say it's the best album I've ever heard but I think I said that about 'I am very far'.....

Lost Property
Lost Property
Offered by Englishpostbox

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as The Optimist?, 25 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Lost Property (Audio CD)
Seventh album from the lads and is it as good as The Optimist? Well yes I think it is. First couple of plays and I immediately recognised the singles due to a big push on radio 2! Ok I thought not bad. First time I heard Jump Start I was impressed but the others they didn't jump out at me. I persevered and after a number of repeat spins I started to notice the subtle strings and fantastic vocals on the middle tracks. TB have been known to add a filler track or 2 during their time but on Lost Property every track is good. I now cannot stop playing this album! How many bands get to album no7 and surpass most of their back catalogue? Not many....

Clutching At Straws
Clutching At Straws

5.0 out of 5 stars THE best Marillion album....., 22 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Clutching At Straws (Audio CD)
1987 I was spotty teenager who had a obsession for Iron Maiden. Purchased Misplaced Childhood (on cassette!) a year earlier and thought it as ok. So Clutching At Straws sort of passed me by at the time. Fast forward 25 years later I find myself rewiring my amp and cd player . To test it I randomly pick a cd from my collection which happens to be Clutching At Straws (I don't even remember buying the CD!) well...I was blown away! Everything about this album should have made Marillion into rock superstars and even convinced Fish not to leave the band. Every track is so well written supported by fantastic guitar playing from Steve Rothery. Maybe the 40 year old me has different tastes to the 15 year old me but I feel like I've missed out on 25 years of this album!!

Dark On Fire
Dark On Fire
Offered by marvelio-uk

4.0 out of 5 stars Underrated Turin Brakes album, 10 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Dark On Fire (Audio CD)
Listened to Turin Brakes since the Optimist and since receiving We Were Here last week I revisited this album. I've always liked it and must disagree with a number of these reviewers that this is up there with the Optimist and Jack In A Box .Yes it is more 'electric' than the others the the song writing is just as strong and worth staying with. Much better than Outbursts and Ether Song if you ask me.

England Keep My Bones
England Keep My Bones

5.0 out of 5 stars How good is this??!, 25 April 2012
This review is from: England Keep My Bones (Audio CD)
I only heard of Frank Turner as he'd been booked to headline the Beautiful Days festival in August.. So I thought I'd better see who this guy was! I first ventured onto Spotify and listened to Wessex Boy which was the most 'popular' one on there, loving that I then listened to I am disappeared which is unbelievably good! I then purchased the cd. After around 2 months of listening to nothing but Frank Turner and his back catalogue I am kicking myself for not getting into this sooner. This album is by far the best thing I've heard in the last 3 years and knocks the spots of any of that commercial rubbish around. Genuine decent tunes with lyrics you can relate to. If you like your rock/country/folk with a bit of a punkish feel, Frank's your man!

I Am Very Far
I Am Very Far
Offered by Fulfillment Express

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing...., 12 May 2011
This review is from: I Am Very Far (Audio CD)
Being an Okkervil fan for a few years who has almost everything they have recorded (and loved all the back catalogue) I was looking forward to the new release coming through my door on Monday. After listening to it a number of times I've wanted to like it soooo much but to be honest its a bit of a disappointment. There are no real stand out tracks like 'girl in port' or 'unless it kicks'. It all seems a bit cluttered - there seems to be too much going on and over produced. It's good that bands should try new directions to keep it interesting but I think this album is a step in the wrong direction. Maybe in 6 months I'll be back on and say it's great...we'll see....

The Stage Names
The Stage Names
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece...but not even their finest hour..., 26 April 2010
This review is from: The Stage Names (Audio CD)
This album is probably one of the finest records ever released but it is still not quite as good as Black Sheep Boy (that tells you how good that album is!). This is one of those records which creeps up on you. First couple of plays it was ok, nothing which grabbed me and made me want to play that particular song over and over again. Then you connect with Will and what he's trying to say and the tunes just get stuck in your head. 'Unless it Kicks' is still probably my favourite track but the moody 'Girl In Port' is a classic and a close second. To be honest there is not a duff track on here! They all creep into your brain and then make you want to play them repeatedly. If you are new to OR then this is the album to start you off.

Riot Act
Riot Act
Offered by Squirrelsounds

2.0 out of 5 stars Bland, middle of the road......, 26 April 2010
This review is from: Riot Act (Audio CD)
I have been a fan since I first saw the video of Even Flow back in '91. Many albums (and years!) later I am still a huge fan and have recently been enjoying the newish Backspacer album. With this in mind I thought I'd give Riot Act another spin as I have never really connected with it. After reading other reviews and forcing myself into two full listens it still is what can I say....dull! I have tried but to no avail. There is not one paticular track which stands out and as one reviewer stated, the band seem uninterested on this album. I cannot understand why some reviewers have rated this up there with 'Vs' or even dare I say it... Ten! It is not a patch on either of those two. In fact I would go as far as saying it is the worst album they have released. Lucliky the last two have recovered some form and made me believe again that PJ are the greatest band to have lived! Anyone out there who want to start with a PJ album if they haven't heard of them before try 'Vs', 'Ten' or even 'Yield' for a better introduction to the band.