Profile for V. Bird > Reviews

Content by V. Bird

V. Bird "Ness" (Hove, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
West Biking Cycling Mini Bicycle Backpack Bike Bag Outdoor Sports Rucksack For Camping Hiking Running Daypacks-ArmyGreen
Offered by West Biking

4.0 out of 5 stars Really happy. The material is very thin, 23 Feb. 2016
Bought for my 12 year old son to wear while skiing. Lovely and compact and lightweight, bit enough to fit in a 1.5 litre Platypus hydration pack plus a spare pair of gloves and hat, suncream and lipsalve etc. Really happy. The material is very thin, hence 4 stars as I'm not sure how robust it will prove to be, but for the price I am really not worried. Looks good too.

Whole Food Energy: 200 all natural recipes to prepare, refuel and recover
Whole Food Energy: 200 all natural recipes to prepare, refuel and recover
by Elise Museles

5.0 out of 5 stars This could very well be the healthy eating book you have been waiting for..., 13 Jan. 2016
If, like me, you can't remember whether the smoothie bowl/energy bar/bliss ball that you fancy making was in Ella or Hemsley & Hemsley or Get the Glow (you get the point)...you can just reach for this book and find instant inspiration and easy recipes for all the healthy snacks and drinks you will ever need. The book is a great size, nice printing, yes there could be a few more pics, but the content really looks very comprehensive. I am about to make sesame tahini energy bites as they look scrummy and I eat so many nuts that I thought this looked good for a no nut treat. I really like that the book is split into chapters by type:

1. Smoothies eg PB & J or cookie dough (who wouldn't want to eat that smoothie?!)
2. Juices and Drinks eg DIY Lemon-aid or Calming Turmeric Tea
3. Whole Food Mornings eg Apple, Cinnamon and Hazelnut crumble porridge, or Pumpkin Date baked oat cups
4. Granolas and trail mixes eg Almond Butter and Chocolate Granola or Sweet and Savoury trail mix
5. Quick Bites eg Falafel crackers or Spiced roasted carrot hummus
6. Energy Bars eg Bluebarry cashew breakfast bars or Fudgy brownie bars
7. Energy Balls eg Cashew and cardamom lime energy balls or Three seed cherry energy bits
8. Desserts and Parfaits eg Spiced fig parfait crunch or Decadent chocolate mousse
9. Whole Food Staples eg Spiced brazil nut milk or Vanilla cashew yoghurt (definitely going to give this a try)

If you are into healthy and clean eating you won't be disappointed with this book, I think this will quickly become very well used and dog eared, buy it now!

Good Things to Drink with Mr Lyan and Friends
Good Things to Drink with Mr Lyan and Friends
by Ryan Chetiyawardana

5.0 out of 5 stars Bottoms up..., 4 Jan. 2016
I have to fess up and admit that the only reason I bought this book was because I spotted a beagle in it while browsing through it. Being a beagle owner and lover it was good enough reason for me! But, it is way more than a book of pretty pictures, though this it is too. The stories and recipes are so inviting, it will have you reaching for you cocktail shaker before you can say deadly nightshade (and who wouldn't want to try a cocktail with a name like that)! If you want to broaden your drink horizons then you need this book.

Soup: Fresh, Healthy Recipes Bursting with Seasonal Flavour
Soup: Fresh, Healthy Recipes Bursting with Seasonal Flavour
by Vava Berry

5.0 out of 5 stars Souper!, 4 Jan. 2016
A truly stunning and inspiring book of soups from around the world. This is just the sort of book I love, with thick matt paper and beautiful photography. At the top of my list of soups to try is the 'lemongrass prawn broth with ginger prawn balls' closely followed by the 'mexican chicken soup'. There are lots of broth-y soups and dairy free soups, which are right up my alleyway, and some really unusual sounding soups such as asparagus and radish top, and the one I am going to make right now - broccoli and fennel with smoked mackerel. I have a feeling my other soup books are about to be made redundant.

My Relationship with Food: 100 Recipes to Nourish Mind, Body & Soul
My Relationship with Food: 100 Recipes to Nourish Mind, Body & Soul
by Lisa Roukin

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, rubbish title!, 8 Feb. 2015
I probably wouldn't have bought this book had I not browsed through it at Books For Cooks in Notting Hill (and I hasten to add that I did indeed cough up the full RRP, so there must have been something in the book that called to me). The title, I think, is very misleading - yes there is a bit of rhubarb from Lisa about how she used to be fat, and now she is thin (and you can guess that you don't go from one to the other without a fair amount of angst and instability) but this is basically a healthy eating cookbook, and a good one at that. Nothing ground breaking, no amazing revelations, and I found the preamble pretty useless as it ended just where I would have begun - if you are buying this book because you have issues with food, then this definitely isn't the book for you. But if you are buying this because you love the gluten free, dairy free, sugar free healthy eating ethos, then buy it, it will be a good addition to your collection.

Mary Berry Cooks
Mary Berry Cooks
by Mary Berry

3.0 out of 5 stars ... arrived damaged and I don't think this is Mary's best offering. I bought it to give as a ..., 13 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Mary Berry Cooks (Hardcover)
Book arrived damaged and I don't think this is Mary's best offering. I bought it to give as a present and didn't have time to ask for a replacement, luckily the recipient didn't mind, but I wasn't happy at all. Poor packaging, not good enough.

Skinner's Field & Trial Dog Food Duck & Rice
Skinner's Field & Trial Dog Food Duck & Rice
Offered by BuyAllMeans

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast delivery and Molly the Beagle seems very happy too! She was on Burns but I was ..., 13 Aug. 2014
Fast delivery and Molly the Beagle seems very happy too! She was on Burns but I was looking for a cheaper alternative, this looks and smells almost identical to Burns, same size of kibble, I changed over gradually over a 3 week period and have not noticed any side effects. I will definitely stick with Skinners.

Cooking with Pumpkins & Squash: 1
Cooking with Pumpkins & Squash: 1
by Brian Glover

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy!, 7 Oct. 2013
Such a great little book, which just shows that size is not important. I defy anyone to open this book and not be seduced!

Good Food: Vital Vegetables (Good Food Magazine)
Good Food: Vital Vegetables (Good Food Magazine)
by "Good Food"

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good!, 6 Feb. 2013
A really excellent book, full of proper meals, soups, and sides, plus some very modern recipes given its age. Most of the recipes are talking to me, and I can't wait to cook the fennel raviolini, the no egg caesar salad (I have an irrational mayonnaise fear), roast squash with lime and caper sauce, tamari toasted seed coleslaw and the cherry tomato and basil clafoutis. Even the soups (simple curried vegetable broth), pies (leek and potato Hereford pie) and quiches (roasted veg quiche with a fold over crust) aren't run of the mill. I am glad to add this to my groaning cook book collection!

A Passion for Baking
A Passion for Baking
by Jo Wheatley

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly Delightful - way to go Jo!, 20 Jan. 2013
This review is from: A Passion for Baking (Hardcover)
Firstly I have to say I am writing this having only tried one recipe, but I am so excited about ALL the recipes in this book that I had to write the review now! I have just read all the other reviews and annotated my book (in pencil) where other readers have suggested amendments to quantities. I am surprised at the low scoring reviews - surely if you are a beginner baker then you have to expect a few disasters to start with, don't diss Jo just because of that! Jo was definitely the rightful winner of the GBBO, and she comes across as so genuine and lovely that am sure the recipes will work as I know she will have tried and tested them a hundred times!

I am particularly excited about trying out her recipe for danish pastry - not something I have ever done before, but it looks manageable. The one recipe I did try was the raspberry torte (I had just got in from Sainsburys with my newly purchased 'A Passion fof Baking' and had friends due for tea so needed something super quick and easy, and I managed to find the recipe, make the torte and bung it in the oven before the school run). I did use blueberries instead of raspberries as that was all I had, and I added a couple of drops of almond extract as I find ready ground almonds from the supermarket need that extra boost, so I am glad to say it really was as lovely and easy as Jo said, I know I will be making it lots with whatever fruit I have around. The chocolate mud caked looks great, and I will make the tiffin but I will probably use milk chocolate rather that white with maybe a drizzle of white for decoration - I find white chocolate too sickly and rich for my family. My mouth is watering looking at the florentines (my personal cannot resist treat) and the pastry section has everything in it you could ever hope for, but it is the afternoon tea section that is the most exciting. It is, as you would expect from Jo, full of wonderful bite sized surprises. The mini pistachio meringues that Jo made on tv are there - yipee - and I am going to put my fears aside at last and try the pineapple and coconut macaroons - wish me luck! I could go on but really just buy the book. I probably shouldn't say this but it is going super cheap in Sainsburys at the moment - I hope Sainsburys is taking the hit for that rather than Jo?! My only fear is for my waistline! Keep up the great work Jo, and write another book soon, please!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3